Wanting to return to the UK after 9 years

Old May 28th 2018, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

KGailis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanting to return to the UK after 9 years

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A UK Ancestry visa is a waste of time and money for the OP if she has the ability to register as a British citizen for the princely sum of £80. It may be more useful for her husband but it's still not clear on what basis he acquired his ILR.
I definitely would rather register as a British citizen. Please help me in knowing exactly what information I need to provide to them for that.
My Grandfather was born in Scotland and joined the RAF there. He was then stationed in Port Elizabeth where he met my grandmother and they had my mother in 1945. They all went back to Scotland where my Uncle was born. During his service in the RAF he was back and forth from Port Elizabeth. My mother got married in the UK to a British man and had my 3 sisters. They were born there. My mother then left the UK in 1975 and came to South Africa. She then met my father and had my brother and myself. He also currently lives in the UK. I don't have any family left here in South Africa.

I then left South Africa with my mother in 1992 and they stamped my passport as Indefinite leave to remain. Then when I got my next passport in 1998 they stamped that with ILR and stated as "endorsed in previous passport". The passport after that was stolen (here in South Africa in 2010) but it also was handwritten "VIPP".

My husband had an Ancestry visa then an ILR because of his English Grandmother. He will stay in South Africa until I get set up in the U.K.

Please let me know if you need any other information. My Grandparents,mother, Father and Uncles are now deceased. I have one remaining Aunt on my mothers' side who should be able to get the documents I need regarding my Grandfather.

Thanks

Last edited by KGailis; May 28th 2018 at 6:18 am. Reason: added more information
Old May 28th 2018, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KGailis
Hi, thanks for responding. Yes, my children did have British passports but they were stolen along with mine and my husbands. However, we have photocopies of the stolen passports and we all have previously expired passports including the children. My husbands ILR has also lapsed. We both have ILR staps in our expired passports.

My plan is to go back to the UK, stay with one of my sisters and get set up so my husband and children can return.

If your children's last British passports were stolen, their applications may take longer than usual.
Old May 28th 2018, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely would rather register as a British citizen. Please help me in knowing exactly what information I need to provide to them for that.
My Grandfather was born in Scotland and joined the RAF there. He was then stationed in Port Elizabeth where he met my grandmother and they had my mother in 1945. They all went back to Scotland where my Uncle was born. During his service in the RAF he was back and forth from Port Elizabeth. My mother got married in the UK to a British man and had my 3 sisters. They were born there. My mother then left the UK in 1975 and came to South Africa. She then met my father and had my brother and myself. He also currently lives in the UK. I don't have any family left here in South Africa.

You will need your grandfather's birth certificate. You can apply for his birth certificate using the link below -

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/regist...-the-registers

Old May 28th 2018, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HKG3
You will need your grandfather's birth certificate. You can apply for his birth certificate using the link below -

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/regist...-the-registers
Thank you.
Old May 29th 2018, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

I wanted to know if my sister is going to support me when I arrive and give me a place to stay, do I still need to have the 1600 Pounds in my account? She has been saving for me. Can I send 3 months of her bank statements and a letter from her confirming she will be supporting me until I find a job?

The other question I have is, I have read somewhere you need to pay 1000 Pounds for NHS with the fee for the Ancestry visa, is this true?

TIA you guys are awesome

Last edited by KGailis; May 29th 2018 at 4:29 pm. Reason: added more information
Old May 29th 2018, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

The other question I have is, I have read somewhere you need to pay 1000 Pounds for NHS with the fee for the Ancestry visa, is this true?

TIA you guys are awesome
In your husband's case, whether he enter the UK holding an UK Ancestry visa or an UK spouse visa based on your British Citizenship, he will need to pay the UK's immigration health surcharge (IHS).

If you are able to get British Citizenship via your mother, you will not need to pay IHS, but if you return as an UK Ancestry visa holder, you will need to pay the £1,000.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application
Old May 29th 2018, 5:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to know if my sister is going to support me when I arrive and give me a place to stay, do I still need to have the 1600 Pounds in my account? She has been saving for me. Can I send 3 months of her bank statements and a letter from her confirming she will be supporting me until I find a job?

TIA you guys are awesome
As a British citizen you won't need anything other than a British passport. Your husband, should he apply for a UK Ancestry visa, will need to fulfil the relevant requirements. UK Ancestry visa applicants need to pay the IHS.
Old May 29th 2018, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

As a British citizen you won't need anything other than a British passport. Your husband, should he apply for a UK Ancestry visa, will need to fulfil the relevant requirements. UK Ancestry visa applicants need to pay the IHS.
The question is related to if I apply for UK ancestry Visa can my sister show her bank account savings with the 1600 Pounds rather than me having it in my South African bank account.

I am waiting to hear about if my Grandfather was definitely in Crown Service when he came to South Africa. You said there was an issue with my Mom being born before 1948. I don't want to try to apply for a British passport if it's going to get rejected.

She lived in the UK when she was a child and also married her first husband a UK citizen (my sibling's father).

Old May 30th 2018, 1:15 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The question is related to if I apply for UK ancestry Visa can my sister show her bank account savings with the 1600 Pounds rather than me having it in my South African bank account.
Yes, you could do, although your sister would need to also provide a letter stating she is willing to support you financially.

I am waiting to hear about if my Grandfather was definitely in Crown Service when he came to South Africa. You said there was an issue with my Mom being born before 1948. I don't want to try to apply for a British passport if it's going to get rejected.

She lived in the UK when she was a child and also married her first husband a UK citizen (my sibling's father).

No issue regarding your mother being born before 1948 but as you were born before 1983 you will first need to register as a British citizen. This is free but you will be charged a £80 fee to help with costs of your citizenship ceremony. Providing your grandfather was in eligible Crown service, and you can provide the relevant documents to demonstrate that, then your application should be successful. Once you have attended your citizenship ceremony you'll be given your certificate of registration as a British citizen which you can then use to apply for your British passport.
Old May 30th 2018, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Yes, you could do, although your sister would need to also provide a letter stating she is willing to support you financially.

No issue regarding your mother being born before 1948 but as you were born before 1983 you will first need to register as a British citizen. This is free but you will be charged a £80 fee to help with costs of your citizenship ceremony. Providing your grandfather was in eligible Crown service, and you can provide the relevant documents to demonstrate that, then your application should be successful. Once you have attended your citizenship ceremony you'll be given your certificate of registration as a British citizen which you can then use to apply for your British passport.
Thank you, can the application for the citizenship be done here in Cape Town? 😊
Old May 30th 2018, 9:53 am

Thank you, can the application for the citizenship be done here in Cape Town? 😊
Yes. You can attend your citizenship ceremony at the British Consulate-General in Cape Town.
Old May 30th 2018, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Yes. You can attend your citizenship ceremony at the British Consulate-General in Cape Town.
Thank you. Do you know how I can check if my Grandfather was stationed in P.E as part of the RAF?
These are the details I know.
He was born in 1920 in Kilmarnock. He was married in 1944 (not sure where)
My mother was born in P.E in April 1945
They went back to Scotland and my one Uncle was then born in 1947 in Kilmarnock

Unfortunately, I do not know any other information about his job.
Old May 30th 2018, 12:15 pm

Thank you. Do you know how I can check if my Grandfather was stationed in P.E as part of the RAF?
These are the details I know.
He was born in 1920 in Kilmarnock. He was married in 1944 (not sure where)
My mother was born in P.E in April 1945
They went back to Scotland and my one Uncle was then born in 1947 in Kilmarnock

Unfortunately, I do not know any other information about his job.
Does your mother's birth certificate list your grandfather's occupation? Does she have a South African or British military birth certificate?
Old May 30th 2018, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Does your mother's birth certificate list your grandfather's occupation? Does she have a South African or British military birth certificate?
Unfortunately, I don't have her full birth certificate so it doesn't have either of her parents' names on it.
I am going to try and request a full one from Home Affairs but I have heard it can take years :-(
Old May 30th 2018, 1:25 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have her full birth certificate so it doesn't have either of her parents' names on it.
I am going to try and request a full one from Home Affairs but I have heard it can take years :-(
You're going to need that for either citizenship or an UK Ancestry visa. The fallback position would be to be included as a dependent on your husband's UK Ancestry visa.

Try applying to the General Register Office for your mother's consular/military birth certificate. If it doesn't exist then your fee will be refunded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.