Wanting to retire in the UK

Old Mar 23rd 2014, 11:58 am
Just Joined

jcwil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to retire in the UK

My husband and I are both 61, he is retired but runs a Bed and Breakfast from our home and I have another 4 years to go before I retire. I was born in the UK and left when I was 10 years and have lived in SA for 50 years. My husband is American. We would like to buy a Bed and Breakfast anywhere in the UK which we would both run with the help of my sister who is also a British citizen who also plans to retire to the UK. We need some sort of assistance to get this going. Our property is on the market but will still be in SA for at least another 4 years. We are not wealthy, though we have a magnificent home and property in SA. The problem is that the exchange rate in SA to Pound STERLING is 17:1. What would we need to do, how long will it take, how much would we need to deposit in a UK bank or building society, what about medical assistance how would we fit in with this. Is there anything like a medical aid insurance in the UK? It is not our intention to sponge on anyone but we need to know how we stand regarding medical, hospitalization, dentistry. Could we contribute to a fund and would my husband be able to obtain permanent residency. How do we get this started. Please if someone could help us, we would be so grateful. . Janet
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 12:07 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to retire in the UK

You and your sister can move back to the UK at anytime because you are UK citizens and you can use the NHS and all other services if you intend to live in the UK permanently.

As your husband is a non-EEA citizen you will have to apply for a spousal visa for him which will require you to have a minimum annual salary or amount of savings.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

jcwil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jcwil
My husband and I are both 61, he is retired but runs a Bed and Breakfast from our home and I have another 4 years to go before I retire. I was born in the UK and left when I was 10 years and have lived in SA for 50 years. My husband is American. We would like to buy a Bed and Breakfast anywhere in the UK which we would both run with the help of my sister who is also a British citizen who also plans to retire to the UK. We need some sort of assistance to get this going. Our property is on the market but will still be in SA for at least another 4 years. We are not wealthy, though we have a magnificent home and property in SA. The problem is that the exchange rate in SA to Pound STERLING is 17:1. What would we need to do, how long will it take, how much would we need to deposit in a UK bank or building society, what about medical assistance how would we fit in with this. Is there anything like a medical aid insurance in the UK? It is not our intention to sponge on anyone but we need to know how we stand regarding medical, hospitalization, dentistry. Could we contribute to a fund and would my husband be able to obtain permanent residency. How do we get this started. Please if someone could help us, we would be so grateful. . Janet
Thank you for your advice nun, I am reassured about myself and my sister, but do you know how my husband would obtain some sort of medical assistance, is there a similar system of medical aid insurance as we have in SA to help foot the bills for any hospitalization, medical assistance or dentistry? Would my husband be able to become a permanent resident after a certain amount of years? Janet
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 1:47 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

As you aren't moving for four years, the UK immigration rules/system for non-EU partners could change.

Right now, for a spousal visa wherein neither partner has a job, the required amount of savings necessary to show self sufficiency is £62500.

As for medical care, google the "National Health Service", which is the UK's system of nationalized medicine. Your husband would be eligible for all NHS services as the partner of a UK citizen.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 1:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your advice nun, I am reassured about myself and my sister, but do you know how my husband would obtain some sort of medical assistance, is there a similar system of medical aid insurance as we have in SA to help foot the bills for any hospitalization, medical assistance or dentistry? Would my husband be able to become a permanent resident after a certain amount of years? Janet
There is a sub-forum dedicated to bringing family into the UK and obtaining residence for them (that's what Nun was referring to). The link is here.

It would probably be helpful to trawl through some of the threads, especially those related to non-EEA spouses, then ask specific questions.

Any resident of the UK has the right to NHS care. I am not sure what happens during the various stages of a spouse becoming resident (in terms of NHS eligibility). If you came back first and your spouse visited, he would be eligible only for emergency care as a visitor.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 1:51 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If your spouse comes to the UK on a spousal visa with the intention to reside in the UK he will be eligible for treatment on the NHS.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Are we sure that someone on a spouse visa is entitled to all forms of treatment under the NHS? I am seeing different opinions on this issue. We know that they can register with a GP and receive free treatment there, but can they get hospital treatment or surgery during the first year of residence? Of course, even if they can, this could all change quite soon as new NHS restrictions may be placed on both non EU spouses and returning UK citizens.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 2:07 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by michali
Of course, even if they can, this could all change quite soon as new NHS restrictions may be placed on both non EU spouses and returning UK citizens.
Do you have a link for this....all I could find is this where NHS treatment would depend on NI contributions.....yet another good reason to keep them up as an expat.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ex...-restored.html
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 2:24 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Are we sure that someone on a spouse visa is entitled to all forms of treatment under the NHS? I am seeing different opinions on this issue. We know that they can register with a GP and receive free treatment there, but can they get hospital treatment or surgery during the first year of residence? Of course, even if they can, this could all change quite soon as new NHS restrictions may be placed on both non EU spouses and returning UK citizens.
Yes, I am sure. At least under the present rules.

The government is considering/has considered an annual levy for new migrants to the UK (£200 per year was the discussed figure) until the migrant obtains permanent residency.

There are different types of 'expats', I guess. Some are like Janet, who is a UK citizen but left in childhood, thereby never contributing personally to the social welfare system. Others are like my husband, who left as an adult. And other expats leave in retirement to go sun themselves somewhere warm. Pretty much all the changes coming from Whitehall to migration are driven by nationalism. But even UKIP recognizes "Britishness" as it pertains to access to systems - within their platform they propose access to social housing be limited to those persons who parents were British citizens. Thus goes the complicated route of "who is entitled".
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Nun, I do not have a link but I think, and I may be wrong, that your link refers to consideration being given to UKC's who have contributed being able to access NHS even if they are visiting.

Rebeccajo, I think the levy idea is a good one and I would have no problem paying it, even a higher one, if it were to be implemented. It would take away the guilt of returning after years of absence and using the NHS! My husband and I are tax payers but gave not kept up our NI contributions.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 2:47 pm
WhiteRabbit

Nun, I do not have a link but I think, and I may be wrong, that your link refers to consideration being given to UKC's who have contributed being able to access NHS even if they are visiting.

Rebeccajo, I think the levy idea is a good one and I would have no problem paying it, even a higher one, if it were to be implemented. It would take away the guilt of returning after years of absence and using the NHS! My husband and I are tax payers but gave not kept up our NI contributions.
Why would you have "guilt"?

The NHS isn't funded just by NI contributions alone. It is also funded through general taxation. Unless you aren't planning on ever buying any clothing or home goods or a car or - well otherwise live entirely off the land, you'll be contributing to the NHS.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Do you have a link for this....all I could find is this where NHS treatment would depend on NI contributions.....yet another good reason to keep them up as an expat.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ex...-restored.html
New NHS proposals due out soon from what I have read and if it is to be believed, is to be based an each individuals years of NINo contributions as to whether that individual gets free NHS when they arrive in the UK. What is going to be classed as an emergency for free NHS is being changed too and some treatment in A&E that use to be free for all, will be charged to the patient if they aren't allowed free NHS. BUT....until it comes out we won't know what they actually have decided.

Private medical insurance already seems to be in place as some people on the EU route in the UK are already having to buy comprehensive medical insurance (including full cover for existing conditions) from private companies, to be exercising their EU rights. Or they use their own EU countries EHIC so that the NHS claims their treatment costs back from their own EU country.

The £200 each year extra on their visa is for Tier 4 visa holders (students) and their dependants and is part of the new immigration law which still going through the system. They have to contribute to the NHS while they studying in the UK but it seems their NHS cards will be limited to the duration of their visa and cancelled if their Tier 4 is cancelled. It's just one of the proposals to stop people overstaying their visas as a Tier 4 visa doesn't lead to settlement.

Last edited by formula; Mar 23rd 2014 at 3:39 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 3:41 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by formula
New NHS proposals due out soon from what I have read and if it is to be believed, is to be based an each individuals years of NINo contributions as to whether that individual gets free NHS when they arrive in the UK. What is going to be classed as an emergency for free NHS is being changed too and some treatment in A&E that use to be free for all, will be charged to the patient if they aren't allowed free NHS. BUT....until it comes out we won't know what they actually have decided.

Private medical insurance already seems to be in place as some people on the EU route in the UK are already having to buy comprehensive medical insurance (including full cover for existing conditions) from private companies, to be exercising their EU rights. Or they use their own EU countries EHIC so that the NHS claims their treatment costs back from their own EU country.

The £200 each year extra on their visa is for Tier 4 visa holders (students) and their dependants and is part of the new immigration law which still going through the system. They have to contribute to the NHS while they studying in the UK but it seems their NHS cards will be limited to the duration of their visa and cancelled if their Tier 4 is cancelled. It's just one of the proposals to stop people overstaying their visas as a Tier 4 visa doesn't lead to settlement.
The NHS is slowly being dismantled. Unfortunately the men in grey suits have taken over from the people with ideals.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment the only requirement is that you be resident in the UK. That applies for NHS England and NHS Scotland. The manic Tory accountants that run the government in London have plans to change all this. One good reason for us to vote YES on 18 September !
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks rebeccajo! As I still spend quite a lot if money in the UK from afar as well as shopping like crazy when I visit, maybe I should not feel so guilty! Seriously though, I do think the abuse of the NHS by a considerable number of people visiting , has spoilt it for the majority. I am awaiting to hear if my husband will get his spouse visa. Depending on the decisions concerning NHS which will impact us if we return, I will have to retain my private medical insurance at least for awhile. I would not be able to afford to keep it indefinitely. My husband will not be able to retain his medical insurance cover as it will come to an end when he retires. Due to his age and past history, he would not be able to get new cover. So I have factored in the possible cost of his healthcare. For us, a levy would be brilliant!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.