Wanting to move back to Blighty

Old May 23rd 2023, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Petertheholt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to move back to Blighty

We moved the US in 1973 and now are thinking about returning. I'm UK and my wife is US. How do we start the process? We are in our 70's if that makes a difference. Any pointers and suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks Peter
Old May 24th 2023, 5:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move back to Blighty

You’ll need to sponsor your wife for a visa. The Wiki is a good starting point - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK

And I’d suggest you look in to getting US citizenship, in case you change your mind and want to return to the US in the future. It may be worth considering so you can come and go freely.

Best of luck.
Old May 24th 2023, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Petertheholt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I have US citizenship. its the process that looks daunting. I get the impression that I have to establish a residence before I open bank accounts etc, and then live there for 6 months before my wife can apply for residency. As I mentioned we are just starting to look at this process.
Old May 24th 2023, 6:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petertheholt
Thanks. I have US citizenship. its the process that looks daunting. I get the impression that I have to establish a residence before I open bank accounts etc, and then live there for 6 months before my wife can apply for residency. As I mentioned we are just starting to look at this process.
You don't need to live there for 6 months first. Assuming you'd be applying using savings, then you can just apply from the US and move over together once your wife's visa is approved. Have a good read of the link and then you can ask questions about any of it that you're not sure on.

Good luck.
Old May 25th 2023, 1:01 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a property to sell then you can also use the proceeds to meet the financial requirements.
Old May 26th 2023, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

ShelleyR75 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are doing the same. Applied for a visa for my husband (I am British) on March 22nd, received the approval on 9th May. A reasonably easy process.
Old May 29th 2023, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Financial requirement and how to qualify:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...equirement.pdf

As you are, presumably, retired, savings/pensions would be the way to go to qualify
Old Jun 15th 2023, 1:28 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Financial requirement and how to qualify:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...equirement.pdf

As you are, presumably, retired, savings/pensions would be the way to go to qualify
Wow, that sure takes some deciphering. The form reads like it was written by a committee of 50 people. Not easy to understand at all.