Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's not quite right...but I know what you mean. A UK citizen can move back to the UK at anytime. The problem is the non EU citizen spouse (and children if they are not UKCs) of the UK citizen.
That's what I meant - a EU citizen (resident of an EU country? Which one is it? Or must it be both?) has the right to move to the UK with his/her non-EU spouse, whereas a UK citizen can not (at least, not without meeting prohibitive financial requirements). That, to me, means unequal right to abode in the UK.

I just knew when I wrote that, that some smart alec would point out the fine distinction. You win the prize.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's what I meant - a EU citizen (resident of an EU country? Which one is it? Or must it be both?) has the right to move to the UK with his/her non-EU spouse, whereas a UK citizen can not (at least, not without meeting prohibitive financial requirements). That, to me, means unequal right to abode in the UK.

I just knew when I wrote that, that some smart alec would point out the fine distinction. You win the prize.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

I actually emailed Nicola Sturgeon MSP from NY her assistant emailed me back today.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Can a "Polish guy" (or gal) bring a non-EU spouse in without these restrictions?

Coincidentally, I'm watching the Scottish news and they just showed a news piece shot in Gretna Green about sham marriages. They showed two arrests. The first one was a Polish woman (who has the right to live in the UK) who was marrying a man from a non-EU country. Turns out she didn't even know his name! He ended up in cuffs, heading to the local police station.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Coincidentally, I'm watching the Scottish news and they just showed a news piece shot in Gretna Green about sham marriages. They showed two arrests. The first one was a Polish woman (who has the right to live in the UK) who was marrying a man from a non-EU country. Turns out she didn't even know his name! He ended up in cuffs, heading to the local police station.

Wow!!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 8:46 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by mandianna
Wow!!
I meant to edit my post to add further information, as I was watching the news piece at the same time I posted (such a bad habit!).

In both cases they showed, the women were Eastern European (Polish and Ukranian, I think the second one was) and the "husbands" were from further afield (Pakistan and Mauritius).

The way it works, apparently, is that a large sum of money is exchanged, and afterwards, when the women eventually return home, they simply remarry when the time comes (assuming the records of their UK marriage will never surface).

It's daft - this is the sort of thing I assume the government are trying to stop in their cack-handed attempts at tweaking the immigration law for non-EU spouses ... and innocent victims are being hit in the crossfire.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

I meant to edit my post to add further information, as I was watching the news piece at the same time I posted (such a bad habit!).

In both cases they showed, the women were Eastern European (Polish and Ukranian, I think the second one was) and the "husbands" were from further afield (Pakistan and Mauritius).

The way it works, apparently, is that a large sum of money is exchanged, and afterwards, when the women eventually return home, they simply remarry when the time comes (assuming the records of their UK marriage will never surface).

It's daft - this is the sort of thing I assume the government are trying to stop in their cack-handed attempts at tweaking the immigration law for non-EU spouses ... and innocent victims are being hit in the crossfire.

It is crazy your right though this is the kind thing the law was meant to stop but obviously it is still going on. They really need to amend it at least for us Brits who were born there.