Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Nick Clegg deserves an ear-bashing for crawling to the Tories in the first place.
The stupid twit lives in Putney - I have to stop myself from : him every time I see him...

Last edited by Elvira; Feb 1st 2013 at 11:19 pm. Reason: spelling (it is late here in the Old Country...)
Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
The stupid twit lives in Putney - I have to stop myself from : him every time I see him...
Why stop your self
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 1:09 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I grew up in putney, i wonder where he lives exactly.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
That could actually be a challenge even to the best-qualified British citizen, especially if language and cultural differences get in the way. No under the-table, cash-in-hand jobs, but a real job that can be documented when the UKC returns with his/her apouse to the UK. In this economy, with much of Europe more or less in crisis, that may not be easy at all.
On the other hand it can be any job at all. Washing dishes two hours a week at minimum wage in a restaurant would be sufficient, just provided the employer does not pay under the table.
If the husband has a "real" job he can probably talk the employer into providing his wife with some such.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Originally Posted by holly_1948
On the other hand it can be any job at all. Washing dishes two hours a week at minimum wage in a restaurant would be sufficient, just provided the employer does not pay under the table.
If the husband has a "real" job he can probably talk the employer into providing his wife with some such.
Im confused so you dont need the same finances to move to the Uk as you do to another european country?
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 6:38 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandianna
Im confused so you dont need the same finances to move to the Uk as you do to another european country?
No, you don't face any financial requirements if you and your wife move to another EU country and follow the Surinder Singh route to settlement in the UK.

You (as the UK/EU citizen) move to an EU country with your non-EEA spouse and find work there--it's called exercising your EU treaty rights. The work you find doesn't need to have any specific salary amount. It can be any job, paying anything, but it must be documented and contribute taxes to the host country. No under-the-table, cash-only payment--you must have a documented, proveable job for around 6 months (to be safe).

Then you have your wife apply for an EU Family Permit, which is free, and which requires only that the EU citizen (you) has worked legally in that EU country. When she receives the EU FP, you can both move to the UK.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eu...family-permit/

Do a search on Surinder Singh route to family reunification in the UK. Here's a good thread to start with:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776431
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
No, you don't face any financial requirements if you and your wife move to another EU country and follow the Surinder Singh route to settlement in the UK.

You (as the UK/EU citizen) move to an EU country with your non-EEA spouse and find work there--it's called exercising your EU treaty rights. The work you find doesn't need to have any specific salary amount. It can be any job, paying anything, but it must be documented and contribute taxes to the host country. No under-the-table, cash-only payment--you must have a documented, proveable job for around 6 months (to be safe).

Then you have your wife apply for an EU Family Permit, which is free, and which requires only that the EU citizen (you) has worked legally in that EU country. When she receives the EU FP, you can both move to the UK.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eu...family-permit/

Do a search on Surinder Singh route to family reunification in the UK. Here's a good thread to start with:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776431
Since mandianna is female (at least I assume so, since Britain does not yet recognise same sex marriages)...

No, you don't face any financial requirements if you and your husband move to another EU country and follow the Surinder Singh route to settlement in the UK.

Then you have your husband apply for an EU Family Permit, which is free, and which requires only that the EU citizen (you) has worked legally in that EU country. When he receives the EU FP, you can both move to the UK.

- - -

I guess the confusion is that there are two needs for family permit involved. One from the host country (for example France) and later from the citizenship country (for example UK). Each of them gives the non-EU spouse a work permit; but if the EU spouse is unemployed for six months or more then they must (eventually depending on local laws) leave the host country.

Note that, in the case or Ireland, an UK person is not exercising treaty rights under freedom of labour rules merely by taking up employment. Because British people were allowed to work in Ireland without work permits even before Britain joined the EU. But, even in Ireland, it is exercising treaty rights to bring a non-British spouse with you (I think, but it would be wise to double check this if it applies to you).

Oh, and as well as employment, bona fide self-employment also qualifies. Empty shell sham self-employment is unlikely to succeed.

Finally, if you all decide to stay in the host country permanently (eg France) the non-EU spouse is still vulnerable and it would be wise for the non-EU spouse to seek citizenship (of France or wherever) as soon as is possible.

Last edited by holly_1948; Feb 3rd 2013 at 12:49 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Since mandianna is female (at least I assume so, since Britain does not yet recognise same sex marriages)...

No, you don't face any financial requirements if you and your husband move to another EU country and follow the Surinder Singh route to settlement in the UK.

Then you have your husband apply for an EU Family Permit, which is free, and which requires only that the EU citizen (you) has worked legally in that EU country. When he receives the EU FP, you can both move to the UK.

- - -

I guess the confusion is that there are two needs for family permit involved. One from the host country (for example France) and later from the citizenship country (for example UK). Each of them gives the non-EU spouse a work permit; but if the EU spouse is unemployed for six months or more then they must (eventually depending on local laws) leave the host country.

Note that, in the case or Ireland, an UK person is not exercising treaty rights under freedom of labour rules merely by taking up employment. Because British people were allowed to work in Ireland without work permits even before Britain joined the EU. But, even in Ireland, it is exercising treaty rights to bring a non-British spouse with you (I think, but it would be wise to double check this if it applies to you).

Oh, and as well as employment, bona fide self-employment also qualifies. Empty shell sham self-employment is unlikely to succeed.

Finally, if you all decide to stay in the host country permanently (eg France) the non-EU spouse is still vulnerable and it would be wise for the non-EU spouse to seek citizenship (of France or wherever) as soon as is possible.

LOL Thanks Holly for clearing that up yes I am female and I do have a husband...I was even more confused thinking I now had a wife thrown into the mix
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 10:11 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Since 2004 foreign same-sex marriages can be registered in the UK as civil partnerships, which confer the exact same rights & priviledges on British soil as civil marriage between heterosexuals. I'd say that's de facto recognition even if not formal. Plus there's now a legal dissolution process for dissolving a civil partnership that is identical to divorce.

This is interesting if true.... Of course the Singh route would only be undertaken [QUOTE]along with[/B] a non-EEA spouse; that's the whole purpose of following this route.

Originally Posted by mandianna
LOL Thanks Holly for clearing that up yes I am female and I do have a husband...I was even more confused thinking I now had a wife thrown into the mix
Oh dear, I guess I had the idea that here in this area--with emotions running high & people quite genuinely concerned about how to move back to the UK--we were all adult enough and friendly enough to forgive occasional errors when someone's being nice enough to help answer a question....

Last edited by WEBlue; Feb 3rd 2013 at 10:13 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

No disrespect but I was genuinely very confused by your post but it also made me laugh
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

WEBlue, you're a lovely, thoughtful person and I've seen you help many people even in the short time I've been on this forum.

Just wanted to say that
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Barrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really nice

I had a similar experience a few years ago when we contemplated moving back to the U.K. We have been living outside the U.K. for a number of years, having originally married and had two children in England before leaving. My foreign wife has a national health insurance number, a British marriage certificate, two children with British nationalites and national pension entitlements. That wasn't enough when we filled out the required forms and then went to the Border Agency office. My wife was treated like an alien. A number of various other requirements were needed before we could return to the U.K. I wasn't allowed into the office while she was being interviewed. I forget exactly what else was required, but I was pretty upset. Anyway, we decided to stay put. I can sympathize with any other British national, with a non-European spouse, wanting to move back to the U.K.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barrybriggs
I had a similar experience a few years ago when we contemplated moving back to the U.K. We have been living outside the U.K. for a number of years, having originally married and had two children in England before leaving. My foreign wife has a national health insurance number, a British marriage certificate, two children with British nationalites and national pension entitlements. That wasn't enough when we filled out the required forms and then went to the Border Agency office. My wife was treated like an alien. A number of various other requirements were needed before we could return to the U.K. I wasn't allowed into the office while she was being interviewed. I forget exactly what else was required, but I was pretty upset. Anyway, we decided to stay put. I can sympathize with any other British national, with a non-European spouse, wanting to move back to the U.K.
Unbelievable story

Was that the only reason you decided not to go back? And where are you living now?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
WEBlue, you're a lovely, thoughtful person and I've seen you help many people even in the short time I've been on this forum.

Just wanted to say that
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Barrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really nice

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Unbelievable story

Was that the only reason you decided not to go back? And where are you living now?
No, it wasn't the only reason for not going back. There was a financial reason too. The world economic crisis hit around the same time, so we decided to stay put until things got better, but they haven't. Also there have been cutbacks in welfare and social services in the U.K. We presently reside in Japan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.