Want to move back to UK with US spouse

Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

tcantua170 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to move back to UK with US spouse

Hi i am a British citizen and have been living in the US for a year now after marrying my US husband. We both want to return to the UK together but I'm not sure about how he can enter the UK and stay past the 6 months allowed with just his passport. I'm sure he would need a visa but not sure which one. If i apply for him to have a married visa would i have to apply for that from within the UK or can i apply for it from the US? Or is there any way we can just return together just on his passport and then apply for him to be able to stay in the UK? It seems like a simple question to me but i can't find the answer anywhere! I know all about the financial requirements etc but just want to be able to return together and stay together. Or if he has to leave the UK and re-enter with the spouse visa, how long would he have to leave for? Many thanks
Old Sep 17th 2016, 10:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to UK with US spouse

Originally Posted by tcantua170
Hi i am a British citizen and have been living in the US for a year now after marrying my US husband. We both want to return to the UK together but I'm not sure about how he can enter the UK and stay past the 6 months allowed with just his passport. I'm sure he would need a visa but not sure which one. If i apply for him to have a married visa would i have to apply for that from within the UK or can i apply for it from the US? Or is there any way we can just return together just on his passport and then apply for him to be able to stay in the UK? It seems like a simple question to me but i can't find the answer anywhere! I know all about the financial requirements etc but just want to be able to return together and stay together. Or if he has to leave the UK and re-enter with the spouse visa, how long would he have to leave for? Many thanks
He cant change from visitor visa to spouse visa while inside the UK, he has to apply for it from outside the UK. Please read the relevant part of the Wiki to give you more information.

Spouse Immigration-UK : British Expat Wiki
Old Sep 17th 2016, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to UK with US spouse

YOU as the British citizen must sponsor him for a settlement visa.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

There are financial, accommodation and relationship criteria to fulfill. The financial are below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

The visa must be applied for outside of the UK. One cannot change to any other visa from a visitor visa.

The spouse visa can take up to 12 weeks to issue. If you apply paying for priority service it can reduce it to around 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes shorter if straightforward)