Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Visa vignette issued, but we can't arrive in UK before expiry date!

Visa vignette issued, but we can't arrive in UK before expiry date!

Old Feb 28th 2018, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

osakamackem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa vignette issued, but we can't arrive in UK before expiry date!

Hi all,

We received my wife's visa today (28 Feb). The start date on the visa vignette is 23 Feb and the expiry date is 25 March.

Of course, we are incredibly delighted and relieved to receive the visa. However, it is very difficult for my wife to arrive by 25 March, when the vignette expires. Even just 1-2 days more would be much easier.

The letter accompanying our visa advises that we can apply for a 'vignette transfer', but only points towards the not-always-entirely-helpful generic visa webpages.

After some digging around, this seems to be also known as 'Transfer of Conditions (Vignette Transfer)', and costs £169. As shown here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...April_2017.pdf

However, I can't seem to find how to apply for this. Does anyone know?

At a push, my wife may be able to leave Japan on 25 March, arriving on 25 March, which the expiry date of her visa vignette. Of course, any delays to her flights would then cause a major issue. So that's cutting it a bit fine!

Any further information on ways to deal with this issue would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 8:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa vignette issued, but we can't arrive in UK before expiry date!

Originally Posted by osakamackem
Hi all,

We received my wife's visa today (28 Feb). The start date on the visa vignette is 23 Feb and the expiry date is 25 March.

Of course, we are incredibly delighted and relieved to receive the visa. However, it is very difficult for my wife to arrive by 25 March, when the vignette expires. Even just 1-2 days more would be much easier.

The letter accompanying our visa advises that we can apply for a 'vignette transfer', but only points towards the not-always-entirely-helpful generic visa webpages.

After some digging around, this seems to be also known as 'Transfer of Conditions (Vignette Transfer)', and costs £169. As shown here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...April_2017.pdf

However, I can't seem to find how to apply for this. Does anyone know?

At a push, my wife may be able to leave Japan on 25 March, arriving on 25 March, which the expiry date of her visa vignette. Of course, any delays to her flights would then cause a major issue. So that's cutting it a bit fine!

Any further information on ways to deal with this issue would be much appreciated!
I've seen this question asked on other boards, and have tried to find the answer.

It's advised that YOU go back into the online application site where you originally applied for the visa

Select Other ---> others ----> vignette transfer

Complete the required info, pay the fee and send.

And that will apparently do the trick

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Feb 28th 2018 at 9:06 am.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks spouse of Scouse.

I've checked the visa4UK online application portal, and can't seem to find any such options.

The only items next to the visa application are:
✓ Application completed
✓ Declaration signed
✓ BRP collection location
✓ View appointment
✓ IHS payment completed
✓ View payment
Register at Commercial Partner
Print application

(I tried to upload a screen shot, but that doesn't seem possible on this board.)

This may be different to what you've heard, since what I have access to appears to be a beta version of a new interface.

Can I also ask, for clarification, when you write 'YOU', do you mean the British spouse, rather than the foreign national applying for the visa? Just wondering if that was the reason for the emphasis!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 9:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks spouse of Scouse.

I've checked the visa4UK online application portal, and can't seem to find any such options.

The only items next to the visa application are:
✓ Application completed
✓ Declaration signed
✓ BRP collection location
✓ View appointment
✓ IHS payment completed
✓ View payment
Register at Commercial Partner
Print application

(I tried to upload a screen shot, but that doesn't seem possible on this board.)

This may be different to what you've heard, since what I have access to appears to be a beta version of a new interface.

Can I also ask, for clarification, when you write 'YOU', do you mean the British spouse, rather than the foreign national applying for the visa? Just wondering if that was the reason for the emphasis!
Sorry, I don't have any personal experience of this, just passing on a successful solution I'd read on another board. The 'you' was generic, the spouse visa applicant would be the one applying for the new vignette.

Maybe someone else on BE will know more, best of luck.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 10:00 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You need to make a new application using the options spouse of scouse outlined.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Scouse, thanks Brit. Much appreciated.

I've just tried that route, and it appears to work. However, the following pops up before creating the new application:

"This visa is to request the transfer of a valid UK visa/entry clearance into a new passport."

But this is not what we are trying to do - we are applying for an extension on the vignette, not moving it into an alternative passport.

Are you sure it's safe to proceed, even though what we what isn't what is described? I can't see any other options, but don't want to make any mistakes in case that causes further problems.

Thanks again both.

Last edited by osakamackem; Feb 28th 2018 at 10:09 am.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 10:08 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Scouse, thanks Brit. Much appreciated.

I've just tried that route, and it appears to work. However, the following pops up before creating the new application:

"This visa is to request the transfer of a valid UK visa/entry clearance into a new passport."

But this is not what we are trying to do - we are applying for an extension on the vignette, not moving it into an alternative passport.

Do you think it's safe to proceed? I can't see any other options.

Thanks again both.
Yes, that's the correct procedure.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ravel-vignette
Old Feb 28th 2018, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Thank, Brit. Always reassuring to get confirmation from someone way more understanding of all of this.

I'll apply for this later today, and provide an update here, for future reference.

Much appreciated, both of you.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 10:29 am

Thank, Brit. Always reassuring to get confirmation from someone way more understanding of all of this.

I'll apply for this later today, and provide an update here, for future reference.

Much appreciated, both of you.
Out of interest, what intended travel date did you select?
Old Feb 28th 2018, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Out of interest, what intended travel date did you select?
This is what we aren’t sure about. Because of family issues, we know my wife can’t come until April at the earliest. So we’re not sure whether to state early April (which is most likely), or to err on the side of caution and put late April, in case further issues arise.

I guess it depends on whether the extension will only run until the date we select (and so would be invalid if we select early April, and then we’re delayed further) and also depends on whether it’s okay to arrive earlier than we state on this application (if we state late April).

Will update when we decide, and see what we get...
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

So I've just completed the online application, as you both suggested.

The process makes mention of 'new passport' on a couple of occasions, but I continued nonetheless.

At the end of the online application, I was requested to arrange an appointment with VFS Osaka, which I did.

Now I am being asked for a payment of 34,944JPY (around £238, which doesn't seem to align with the £169 stated on the UK VI website). And I am being asked for arrangements of how to have my wife's passport returned.

I am increasingly doubting that this is the correct process, so would appreciate any thoughts.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

(We went for a date in mid-April, incidentally)
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

We bit the bullet and went ahead and confirmed the booking and payment. My calculations are that the exchange rate is just not in our favour at the moment, plus VFS charge an additional £50+ on top, for all of their hard work.

Information is scant, all of the confirmation emails are the same generic ones they send out for regular spouse visa applications.

So we aren't sure at all, but are now assuming that the passport will have to be sent back to Manila. And we guess we're looking at either 15 or 60 working days processing time, depending upon whether this application will be classed as a settlement application or not (we didn't pay priority service fee this time). Hopefully it won't be classed as settlement, but we worry that it will be, and will take a number of months to be processed.

I am utterly fed up and disgusted with the lack of information provided for all of these processes. It is a complete disgrace to treat people in this way.

Last edited by osakamackem; Mar 1st 2018 at 12:07 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Invisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond repute

We bit the bullet and went ahead and confirmed the booking and payment. My calculations are that the exchange rate is just not in our favour at the moment, plus VFS charge an additional £50+ on top, for all of their hard work.

Information is scant, all of the confirmation emails are the same generic ones they send out for regular spouse visa applications.

So we aren't sure at all, but are now assuming that the passport will have to be sent back to Manila. And we guess we're looking at either 15 or 60 working days processing time, depending upon whether this application will be classed as a settlement application or not (we didn't pay priority service fee this time). Hopefully it won't be classed as settlement, but we worry that it will be, and will take a number of months to be processed.

I am utterly fed up and disgusted with the lack of information provided for all of these processes. It is a complete disgrace to treat people in this way.
This is ridiculous, why do they not just issue the original vignettes with a validity of 90 days instead of 30 days? 90 days is a realistic and acceptable timeframe to get everything organised and travel to the UK, 30 days is terrible.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

JohnJT is an unknown quantity at this point

All, i have just reveived notice that a decision on my wife’s settlement visa has been made. We have 21 days as per email received from moscow TLS to produce the passports for hopefully a vignette. As my wife already had a 5 year uk family visa, she has been in the uk for the full process of application in sheffield. Due to small family members my wife cannot travel to moscow to process the passport- during application we selected the “ keep passport while applying” section which is how she arrived into the uk with me. I do know that i can present and pick up her passport from moscow but the question is - does the vignette have to be stamped upon arrival into uk. As i will be carrying this and my wife will be already in the uk. I am concerned that after my return and then picking up the Final document from the local post office not having the vignette stamped may cause immigration issues. Please advise if possible. I hope i have been clear in the details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.