Visa and travel question for Canadian fiance

Old Nov 10th 2014, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

thisisconfusing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa and travel question for Canadian fiance

Hello

I am a British citizen and am currently engaged to a Canadian citizen. We wish to get married in the UK early next year. My fiance is applying for a visa to come and settle in the UK with me. She's applying for is "Settlement - Settlement - Marriage" following the online visa application form and questionnaire.

I just want to make sure that the visa type she is applying for is the right one, since she is my fiance currently and we will get married in the UK. We're in the planning stages of the wedding, can she continue to travel to the UK on her visitor visa while her Settlement Visa is being processed? I've already sent an email asking about the travel.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa and travel question for Canadian fiance

If your fiancée wishes to come to the UK, marry you and then remain in the UK as your spouse then that is the correct visa.

She'll need to apply in Canada for the initial marriage settlement visa. Processing times aren't usually more than a few weeks and she can't be in the UK when the visa is granted so I would wait until it is granted before returning to the UK. Once she enters the UK on the settlement visa you'll have a further six months to marry and present your marriage certificate to the Home Office to allow her to stay.

Alternatively your fiancée could apply for a marriage visitor visa in Canada, you can marry in the UK and she can return to Canada to apply for a spouse visa. This would be a cheaper option as it doesn't require another application to remain in the UK after you marry.

Last edited by BritInParis; Nov 10th 2014 at 11:21 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 2:24 am
Just Joined

thisisconfusing is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes she is planning on settling in UK with me. Glad to know we're applying for the right visa.

However now we are wondering how long it would take for the visa to be processed. On the website the time ranges from anywhere to 90 days to 12 weeks. Is it possible that it would take longer than that time? She is applying from Canada of course.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 7:31 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thisisconfusing
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes she is planning on settling in UK with me. Glad to know we're applying for the right visa.

However now we are wondering how long it would take for the visa to be processed. On the website the time ranges from anywhere to 90 days to 12 weeks. Is it possible that it would take longer than that time? She is applying from Canada of course.
Processing times will always vary depending on the individual application and the workload being experience by the Home Office at any given time. I would count on four to six weeks on average. You can also pay extra for priority processing. My cousin's Canadian fiancé did this and he had his visa within a week.