Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Visa for my wife, plenty of savings but no good job prospects

Visa for my wife, plenty of savings but no good job prospects

Old Jan 29th 2019, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

MrDavis is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Visa for my wife, plenty of savings but no good job prospects

Hi there,
This morning I went to the citizens advice bureau and they told me to seek level 3 immigration advice and all the local people I tried calling didn't respond/
I have been living and working - overseas - for more than ten years. My wife and I have been together for ten years and married for about 6 years. We have 2 daughters, with British passports. My wife has a - non UK - passport. She has visited - the UK - about ten times.
My wife is a - professional with a degree - and has been teaching A level, IB and GCSE at one of the most reputable international schools in China for the last 8 years.
My wife outright owns a condo' worth about £50,000 and recently inherited a big plot of land and house worth more than a £100,000, she also invested in a block of apartments that is probably worth about £50,000 and owns another property worth about £30,000. I would estimate her combined equity being worth more than £200,000.
- Where we live - her salary is probably around £32,000-£40,000 per annum. My salary is around £22,000.
If we return to UK her job prospects would be better than mine. I am doing a distance learning course for teaching and won't complete my degree until 2021.
We want to migrate home to the UK. I have a flat there which is currently let out, it has a small remaining balance on the mortgage and probably about 80k equity.
Our plan is to move into my mum's house. She was recently widowed and would love us to return home.
Thanks for reading my post. I'd appreciate any advice you could offer or if you think I could make an appointment somewhere to discuss further developments that would be great.
Best Regards

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 6th 2019 at 9:00 pm. Reason: Little edits hroughout this post to help with personal privacy.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 8:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for my wife, plenty of savings but no good job prospects

Assets are no good nor are your wife’s potential earnings. Either you need to find a job in the UK paying at least £18,600 or your wife would need to sell one of her properties or liquidate other assets in order to raise at least £62,500 in cash savings.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Assets are no good nor are your wife’s potential earnings. Either you need to find a job in the UK paying at least £18,600 or your wife would need to sell one of her properties or liquidate other assets in order to raise at least £62,500 in cash savings.
Thanks for the reply. That’s a great start. If we have the money, would there be any other rules or restrictions. Also how long is the process in terms of up to 6 months, up to a year (as a rough time
scale? Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2019, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

spinrs2k is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrDavis

Thanks for the reply. That’s a great start. If we have the money, would there be any other rules or restrictions. Also how long is the process in terms of up to 6 months, up to a year (as a rough time
scale? Thanks
3 key things you need to meet requirements for, genuine relationship, accommodation and financial requirement.

If you have £62,500 in cash savings and this has been in your account for more then 6 months or if its from a sale of a property i believe you can skip the need for it being in your account for 6 months prior as long as you have proof of the sale then you will meet the financial part.

For the relationship you will need evidence to prove you are married translated into English along with documents showing you have been living together in China.

Accommodation proof you will need a letter from your mum confirming you can stay there with you wife and you need to ensure the property meets the minimum space requirements for the amount of people going to live there, as long as you have a room to yourself as a couple it should be fine.

once you have all your required documents and proof together then for the application timeline, your looking on average around 60 working days for non priority application and 30 working days for priority but this is not guaranteed as each individuals circumstances are different.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 10:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to the above, please be aware that the initial Leave to Enter visa is only valid for 2.5 years, after which your wife would need to apply for a Further Leave to Remain (FLR) visa which also is valid for 2.5 years. At this point, an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) visa would need to be applied for, and if approved you wife could apply for naturalisation as a British citizen immediately.

The financial, relationship and accommodation requirements need to be met for each visa. Your wife would also need to pay the International Health Surcharge along with her visa fees, except for her ILR application.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 11:47 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrDavis
scale? Thanks
Others have given you good answers. Ask again if you need any further clarification.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
In addition to the above, please be aware that the initial Leave to Enter visa is only valid for 2.5 years, after which your wife would need to apply for a Further Leave to Remain (FLR) visa which also is valid for 2.5 years. At this point, an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) visa would need to be applied for, and if approved you wife could apply for naturalisation as a British citizen immediately.

The financial, relationship and accommodation requirements need to be met for each visa. Your wife would also need to pay the International Health Surcharge along with her visa fees, except for her ILR application.
thanks
for all the brilliant information. It’s very helpful