British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Visa for my little Aussie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/visa-my-little-aussie-663904/)

Martinw02 Apr 13th 2010 11:17 pm

Visa for my little Aussie

Hi all. Hope someone might be able to help, since the British High Commission charge $1.50 per min for the privilege of talking to them.

I'm a British national and my wife is Irish, but my 3-year old son is Aussie (there is a joke in there somewhere). Anyway, we're moving back to the UK permanently very shortly and we overlooked the need to get him a passport. I'm sure he'd be entitled to a British passport, but it's very expensive to get one here in Oz and it's very short notice.

If we go back to the UK without a British passport for him, at some point we'll have to get one, but I assume he'd be entitled to stay for a while as an Aussie whilst we sort it out there.

Any advice would be welcome.

JAJ Apr 14th 2010 1:40 am

Re: Visa for my little Aussie

Unclear why this is in a part of the forum intended for off-topic posts, but ...

Are you sure he's a British citizen? Were you born in the UK? If so, read on:

There are two other options:

1. Get a Right of Abode stamp in Australian passport. Not cheaper than a British passport, but perhaps quicker and easier in complex cases (although you do have to send away Australian passport), OR
2. If your wife was born in Ireland or Northern Ireland, get an Irish passport for the child.

In both cases, you can then get a British passport back in the UK.

Showing up as a tourist on an Australian passport, best that can be said that others have done it, but there may be problems if he needs healthcare, etc, before proper documentation to allow residence has been obtained.

If son is an Australian citizen, make sure you also get a citizenship certificate to avoid problems later on:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Eviden...an_Citizenship

Martinw02 Apr 14th 2010 7:25 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8494302)
Unclear why this is in a part of the forum intended for off-topic posts, but ...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Eviden...an_Citizenship

Thanks for your advice, but you still sound a bit of a dill; re the above comment. It must be obvious that my posts placement here, if it's not supposed to be, was a mistake and pointing it out to me in a nice way would have gone down better :thumbdown:.

All those stars have gone to your head, perhaps.

sadieb Apr 14th 2010 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Martinw02 (Post 8494767)
Thanks for your advice, but you still sound a bit of a dill; re the above comment. It must be obvious that my posts placement here, if it's not supposed to be, was a mistake and pointing it out to me in a nice way would have gone down better :thumbdown:.

Hi

Jaj is always straight to the point but the advice he gives is excellent.

You are rich enough to buy 3 houses for cash when you return to the UK
Well done by the way, You have worked hard and prospered.

My only advice is time permitting pay the money in Oz and get a British passport, seriously how expensive is it....

You are not short of cash and it may save a lot of messing around at immigration in the UK

Antney Apr 15th 2010 5:52 am

Why the arsey comment, it wasn't required.:thumbdown: You got the answers you needed.

canadaeh Apr 15th 2010 3:15 pm

Why not get your child an Irish passport (bit cheaper). You can then also get the British one later down the line.

Martinw02 Apr 19th 2010 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Antney (Post 8497500)
Why the arsey comment, it wasn't required.:thumbdown: You got the answers you needed.

If you went to the shops to buy tea bags and the checkout chick tried to embarrass you in front of everyone because you were in the wrong queue, but served you anyhow, you'd still have your teabags but you'd also feel awkward. So I said something.

If the advice could not have been given courteously, then why did the person bother?

I'll tell you why - because they are one of those forum participants that get full of their own self importance because they have 5 stars, and they demonstrate this by chucking about their "weight", if that's the right word. Although I suspect this type of person is very diminutive in stature, since they spend all their time "overseeing" forums like this, when they'd rather be a bouncer in a night club where they would actually get the girls (real ones, anyhow).

If you translate this type of behavior, and yours for that matter, into real life, you'd both probably get a slap if you said it to the wrong person. But in this world you people hide behind your keyboards in your bedroom in your mum's house. It really is a case of an adrenalin kick for the nerd-herd, or people with other social skill issues.

northernbird Apr 20th 2010 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Martinw02 (Post 8508323)
If you went to the shops to buy tea bags and the checkout chick tried to embarrass you in front of everyone because you were in the wrong queue, but served you anyhow, you'd still have your teabags but you'd also feel awkward. So I said something.

If the advice could not have been given courteously, then why did the person bother?

I'll tell you why - because they are one of those forum participants that get full of their own self importance because they have 5 stars, and they demonstrate this by chucking about their "weight", if that's the right word. Although I suspect this type of person is very diminutive in stature, since they spend all their time "overseeing" forums like this, when they'd rather be a bouncer in a night club where they would actually get the girls (real ones, anyhow).

If you translate this type of behavior, and yours for that matter, into real life, you'd both probably get a slap if you said it to the wrong person. But in this world you people hide behind your keyboards in your bedroom in your mum's house. It really is a case of an adrenalin kick for the nerd-herd, or people with other social skill issues.

JAJ has made 28,000 posts on this site and is well respected for his professional opinion. You have made 8 posts, I suggest that you take a long hard look in the mirror at your own posting style before criticising others.

Martinw02 Apr 20th 2010 6:04 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 8508623)
JAJ has made 28,000 posts on this site and is well respected for his professional opinion. You have made 8 posts, I suggest that you take a long hard look in the mirror at your own posting style before criticising others.

What a ridiculous thing to say; "take a long hard look in the mirror at my posting style" Do you seriously think that I should sit down and contemplate my comments in depth and think about how I can improve how I post? I've got far better things to do, and I'd suggest with 28,000 posts to his name JAJ should look at getting out a bit more, and for that matter you too for even bothering with your post!

Do they still use the term "wally" in the UK meaning nerd, geek, looser, or perhaps a person who's company is found to be undesirable or uninspiring?

northernbird Apr 20th 2010 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Martinw02 (Post 8509024)
What a ridiculous thing to say; "take a long hard look in the mirror at my posting style" Do you seriously think that I should sit down and contemplate my comments in depth and think about how I can improve how I post? I've got far better things to do, and I'd suggest with 28,000 posts to his name JAJ should look at getting out a bit more, and for that matter you too for even bothering with your post!

Do they still use the term "wally" in the UK meaning nerd, geek, looser, or perhaps a person who's company is found to be undesirable or uninspiring?

What an odd person you are :confused: :thumbdown:

Martinw02 Apr 20th 2010 9:51 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 8509043)
What an odd person you are :confused: :thumbdown:

I'd say no more odd than someone who has all those stars and feels the need to spend their time interjecting with comments on discourses that have nothing to do with them.

Martinw02 Apr 20th 2010 12:11 pm

PS to Northernbird - I notice you quote from Dr. Seuss, I also have one: "I do not like red headed nosy northern wallies, I do not like them Sam I am!", or something like that.

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 20th 2010 12:23 pm

Are you always so jolly?

northernbird Apr 20th 2010 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Martinw02 (Post 8509572)
PS to Northernbird - I notice you quote from Dr. Seuss, I also have one: "I do not like red headed nosy northern wallies, I do not like them Sam I am!", or something like that.

You are definitely VERY odd if you think I have red hair!!! :confused:

Martinw02 Apr 20th 2010 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 8509591)
Are you always so jolly?

I'm being sardonic, which is kind of humour. But it needs a bit of intellect to pick it out. Oops, there I go again!

Martinw02 Apr 20th 2010 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 8509864)
You are definitely VERY odd if you think I have red hair!!! :confused:

Well you look look a Ranga. Anyway, the point is that I was trying to be funny and the comment really was not intended to stand up to literal scrutiny.

Going back to your defense of JAJ, I looked back at some of your posts and thought how pedestrian and hackneyed your thoughts tended to be, which really puts paid to the notion that just because someone has thousands of posts to their "credit", that they are of any value whatsoever. Quality, not quantity.

northernbird Apr 20th 2010 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Martinw02 (Post 8510667)
Well you look look a Ranga. Anyway, the point is that I was trying to be funny and the comment really was not intended to stand up to literal scrutiny.

Going back to your defense of JAJ, I looked back at some of your posts and thought how pedestrian and hackneyed your thoughts tended to be, which really puts paid to the notion that just because someone has thousands of posts to their "credit", that they are of any value whatsoever. Quality, not quantity.

While I agree with you about the quality, JAJ is a positive and well respected contributer to this site with years of knowledge on immigration and citizenship matters. I still think your response to him was out of order. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this issue.

BAY Apr 21st 2010 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Martinw02 (Post 8510645)
I'm being sardonic, which is kind of humour. But it needs a bit of intellect to pick it out. Oops, there I go again!

You asked for advice and then proceeded to insult the person that gave you some. :(

This isn't the way normal, mature people behave.:frown:

I guess you won't be receiving any more help/advice from people on BE. You'll
have go back to paying $1.50 per min for the privilege of talking to the British High Commission. :D What a wally :rofl:

brits1 Apr 21st 2010 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Martinw02 (Post 8494048)
Hi all. Hope someone might be able to help, since the British High Commission charge $1.50 per min for the privilege of talking to them.

I'm a British national and my wife is Irish, but my 3-year old son is Aussie (there is a joke in there somewhere). Anyway, we're moving back to the UK permanently very shortly and we overlooked the need to get him a passport. I'm sure he'd be entitled to a British passport, but it's very expensive to get one here in Oz and it's very short notice.

If we go back to the UK without a British passport for him, at some point we'll have to get one, but I assume he'd be entitled to stay for a while as an Aussie whilst we sort it out there.

Any advice would be welcome.

Had to chuckle at some of your replies...but had a humph moment when I read the comment "Northern......."beinga Northerner myself....well say no more...beleive it or not some of us are inteligent, witty etc,etc......okay back to your questions, I know if in an emergency you can gain an Aus passport within 3 working days for an extra $78:eek: if needed by a certain date....I was informed by immigration that if we were to enter the UK on our Aus passports on a one way ticket we would be asked a few questions and maybe refused entry...luckily...very luckily lol...we are British and have our British passports....so it looks like you might have to bite the bullet and gain a British/Irish passport for your "little un"....sometimes we just have to dig that little deaper in our pockets that would upset my Dad as at times he has very long pockets...lol...but sometimes it just saves on the stress etc...good luck

canadaeh Apr 21st 2010 4:57 am

Don't know how much he wants to spend, but the Irish childs passport is only 16 EURO for children Under 3, and 26.50 EURO for Children over 3.

All you have to do is contact the Irish Embassy here in Australia and they will get the forms out to you.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Apr 21st 2010 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Martinw02 (Post 8509024)

They don't use the term Wally so much now... what they tend to do is smack tw@ts like you in the mouth first and ask questions later.

You came on here because you are too much of a tight arse to get professional advice for your 'problem' and then start having a go at the first person who tries to help.

What a Wally.

Cheetah7 Apr 21st 2010 9:47 am

I used to say that at school, are you from the Joey Deacon era or the Stephen Hawkings one? Personally I am Joey Deacon - we used to say 'Joey' or 'Dill' with our tongues in funny positions.

Martinw02 Apr 21st 2010 11:08 am

Gosh, where do I start.....

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 8510838)

This isn't the way normal, mature people behave.:frown:

I guess I’m a bit toward the edge of the Bell Curve, but you sound like you’re right in the middle. Do you get invited to dinner parties much?

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 8510851)
Had to chuckle at some of your replies...but had a humph moment when I read the comment "Northern......."beinga Northerner myself....well say no more...

At last, someone who does not take this seriously.

Originally Posted by canadaeh (Post 8511061)
Don't know how much he wants to spend, but the Irish childs passport is only 16 EURO for children Under 3, and 26.50 EURO for Children over 3.

All you have to do is contact the Irish Embassy here in Australia and they will get the forms out to you.

Bargain. Thanks.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8511108)
They don't use the term Wally so much now... what they tend to do is smack tw@ts like you in the mouth first and ask questions later.

You came on here because you are too much of a tight arse to get professional advice for your 'problem' and then start having a go at the first person who tries to help.

What a Wally.

I bet you wrote that on your mum’s PC in between having a pull over the latest offer from Apple and having a chat to your mates in Clingon. I’ll wait for your next response after your tea, as I think your mum is calling.

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 8511526)
I used to say that at school, are you from the Joey Deacon era or the Stephen Hawkings one? Personally I am Joey Deacon - we used to say 'Joey' or 'Dill' with our tongues in funny positions.

Actually dill is a bit of an Aussie colloquialism and is common. Interesting you mention Stephen Hawking. Some years ago I called the Sun Newspaper to see how much they would pay for a story about Hawking and that he really was just a jelly brain in a remote controlled wheelchair operated by someone hiding around the corner with a walkie talkie.

Oh, and.....

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 8510838)
I guess you won't be receiving any more help/advice from people on BE. You'll
have go back to paying $1.50 per min for the privilege of talking to the British High Commission. :D What a wally :rofl:

Well I really cooked my goose there, didn't I. Although smart people might use a different username. Duh!

Cheetah7 Apr 21st 2010 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Martinw02 (Post 8511608)

I guess I’m a bit toward the edge of the Bell Curve, but you sound like you’re right in the middle. Do you get invited to dinner parties much?

Bargain. Thanks.

I bet you wrote that on your mum’s PC in between having a pull over the latest offer from Apple and having a chat to your mates in Clingon. I’ll wait for your next response after your tea, as I think your mum is calling.

Actually dill is a bit of an Aussie colloquialism and is common. Interesting you mention Stephen Hawking. Some years ago I called the Sun Newspaper to see how much they would pay for a story about Hawking and that he really was just a jelly brain in a remote controlled wheelchair operated by someone hiding around the corner with a walkie talkie.

Oh, and.....

Well I really cooked my goose there, didn't I. Although smart people might use a different username. Duh!

Is it an Aussie term? :lol: I often wonder if Stephen Hawking changed the recording of his voice box machine and made it Devonshire, would he sound quite so smart.

You know if you send someone a text message to their landline phone, the message comes out in Stephen Hawkings type voice - its so funny. Very childish I shall admit but I do find it funny.

Im sure Stephen Hawkings wife beat him for annoying her - my friend said she had read it somewhere but I might check.

:lol:

BAY Apr 21st 2010 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Martinw02 (Post 8511608)

Bargain. Thanks.

Oh, and.....

Whatever :rolleyes: small things please small minds...

Sue Apr 21st 2010 4:18 pm

Well this has gone a bit pear-shaped hasn't it.

Just a little note about manners before I close this thread. If someone takes the time to answer your question, or share their experiences in order to help you with info, its polite to say thank you.

Sue