Visa for American Husband

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

123abc456 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa for American Husband

I am a British citizen married to an American citizen. We are currently in the USA and would like to move back to the UK.

I do not have a job in the UK. However, I have savings (in a British bank in the UK) in excess of the requirements as stipulated by the UKBA.

1. Are savings enough to get my husband a visa?

2. How long does the application process take?

After using www.gov.uk I am more confused than before. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 8:01 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for American Husband

Originally Posted by 123abc456
I am a British citizen married to an American citizen. We are currently in the USA and would like to move back to the UK.

I do not have a job in the UK. However, I have savings (in a British bank in the UK) in excess of the requirements as stipulated by the UKBA.

1. Are savings enough to get my husband a visa?

2. How long does the application process take?

After using www.gov.uk I am more confused than before. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
1. If your savings are over £62,500 and you have held them in your name for six months or more then you will fulfil the financial requirements for the visa. You will also need to meet the rest of the requirements although that's usually more straightforward.

2. You're looking at around 2-4 weeks for a decision to be made on your application.

The new website is worst than the old one which wasn't great.

Does your husband have any recent British/Irish/European ancestry? If so he may qualify for a passport or ancestry visa that would allow him to bypass the spousal visa process.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

123abc456 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for your replay.

No, my husband does not have any European/Irish/UK ancestry.

You could clarify what you mean by "You will also need to meet the rest of the requirements although that's usually more straightforward"? Outside of the financial element, me being a British citizen, and us being legally married (in the US and we have the related paperwork), what else do I have to prove?

There is a helpful link on this site that goes through this. However, it may be out of date.

Last edited by 123abc456; Mar 4th 2014 at 1:34 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

uk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud of

Yes that is a good question about what other requirements as I will have the money also....
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

There are other requirements - here are some I can think of off the top of my head:
- You have to have somewhere to live. And proof. Enough rooms etc.
- Not used the NHS illegally
Cheers
Nigel
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

There are really three main requirements. The main one is financial which you appear to have covered. £62,500 which is immediately accessible and has been in place for at least six months and has never dropped below that level. If you are going in on savings and you meet that requirement, you are OK on that. You will need to provide at least six months of bank statements and a declaration to show the source of the savings. Gifts are allowed but loans are not.

The second is proof of relationship which entails not only marriage certificate but proof that you are together, such as bills in both names sent to the same address, photos, anything that proves it is not a sham marriage.

The third requirement is proof that you have suitable accommodation to go to. Either a property that is owned by yourselves, for which you supply a land registry document, deeds or mortgage statements, or a tenancy agreement to show you will be renting a place, or a letter from family or friends to say they are willing for you to stay with them. In the latter case, you may well need a property inspection to show there will be no overcrowding and their land registry document and a council tax bill.

Quite a lot of preparation! Good luck! Oh yes, and as Nigel says, no use of NHS without having paid by the non EU spouse.