VFS Global Wouldn't Accept Originals??

Old Apr 18th 2017, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

shynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy VFS Global Wouldn't Accept Originals??

Hi Folks,

I submitted my "Settlement - Wife" application + biometrics last week, on April 13th. Because there was no VAC near me I had to fly halfway across the country to Toronto to do this. I had put all my documents into a super organised pile of originals and separate pile of copies, as I had read online to do. I even had my husband fly over from the UK to hand deliver me the originals, and paid for priority processing.

Now what got me on high alert, is the VFS Global agent refused to accept any originals. She said they cannot accept any originals as they do not return them, only the primary passport. She turned away EVERYTHING original including: bank statements, payslips stamped by employer, letter from employer confirming employment, tenancy agreement, letter from landlord, contract of employment, my old cancelled passports, birth certificates, letter of intent from my husband, etc. Basically if it had a signature in ink, it was refused. My appointment, which I expected to take 30 minutes, took 3 hours, while she put all my originals in a discarded pile and ripped apart my copies, and charged me $38 to photocopy some of them.

Is this normal? Am I panicking unnecessarily? I swear everything I read online said I required the originals... I know that VFS Global is just outsourced, they don't have a hand in visa outcomes... was I misadvised? Help! x
Old Apr 18th 2017, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VFS Global Wouldn't Accept Originals??

Originally Posted by shynes
Hi Folks,

I submitted my "Settlement - Wife" application + biometrics last week, on April 13th. Because there was no VAC near me I had to fly halfway across the country to Toronto to do this. I had put all my documents into a super organised pile of originals and separate pile of copies, as I had read online to do. I even had my husband fly over from the UK to hand deliver me the originals, and paid for priority processing.

Now what got me on high alert, is the VFS Global agent refused to accept any originals. She said they cannot accept any originals as they do not return them, only the primary passport. She turned away EVERYTHING original including: bank statements, payslips stamped by employer, letter from employer confirming employment, tenancy agreement, letter from landlord, contract of employment, my old cancelled passports, birth certificates, letter of intent from my husband, etc. Basically if it had a signature in ink, it was refused. My appointment, which I expected to take 30 minutes, took 3 hours, while she put all my originals in a discarded pile and ripped apart my copies, and charged me $38 to photocopy some of them.

Is this normal? Am I panicking unnecessarily? I swear everything I read online said I required the originals... I know that VFS Global is just outsourced, they don't have a hand in visa outcomes... was I misadvised? Help! x
Did the agent scan any originals? Why/what did she photocopy if she was copying copies of your originals? Why not just take your copies?

Did she say what she was sending to the UK?

it does sound bizarre.

maybe others knowledgeable about processes can comment.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

I found this complaints page-

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/canada/f...omplaints.html

and this page where it says your documents will be sent to UK AND returned by courier
UK Visa Information - Canada - Frequently Asked Questions

Your passport and supporting documents provided will be couriered back to you once a decision has been made on your application by UK visas and immigration. You will be required to provide a complete address for a return courier delivery. The courier return is included in the VAC (User Pay) service fee.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

I also found a documents checklist pdf on this link-did you sign this?

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/canada/d...checklist.html

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/canada/p...ate_050416.pdf
Old Apr 18th 2017, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

shynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond reputeshynes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angie_329
I also found a documents checklist pdf on this link-did you sign this?

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/canada/d...checklist.html

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/canada/p...ate_050416.pdf
Hi Angie, thank you so much for the reply and links! I did not sign that specific checklist, but signed another document, stating that I was "submitting my application and had no further evidence to provide" - which I told the agent I felt uneasy over. I did include all those documents listed on the checklist, though they only put the copies in the UPS envelope to be sent and handed me back all originals. She just kept saying "It'll be fine, it'll be fine" in this nonchalant way.... with me welling up because this is pretty much determining my future life, so I want it to be done 100% correctly.

I will definitely leave a complaint with VFS, but not feeling any more at ease over how Sheffield will view the lack of original documents
Old Apr 18th 2017, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

This is on the VFS site for Canada but it really is not clear though it does appear the process is different from other Canadian VFS centres.

'Note for all Settlement cases applied for in Toronto:

With effect from 25 May 2015, all settlement applications submitted in Toronto must be submitted at the Visa Application Centre in Toronto. They cannot be sent directly by the applicant or their representative. All applicants are advised that they MUST bring all of their original supporting documents along with a photocopy of each document to their Visa Appointment.

Failure to provide photocopies along with your original documents may result in delays when you are submitting your application. Photocopying services are available at the Toronto VAC at a cost of $1.00 per copy. If we are unable to provide this photocopying service for oversized documents, we may have to request you to return with the required photocopies before your application can be accepted

The instruction above is only for the submission of settlement applications at the Toronto VAC. VACs located in Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa will accept your application with originals as per current process.'

I can imagine how worrying it is but hopefully the officer knew what she was doing.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Angie, thank you so much for the reply and links! I did not sign that specific checklist, but signed another document, stating that I was "submitting my application and had no further evidence to provide" - which I told the agent I felt uneasy over. I did include all those documents listed on the checklist, though they only put the copies in the UPS envelope to be sent and handed me back all originals. She just kept saying "It'll be fine, it'll be fine" in this nonchalant way.... with me welling up because this is pretty much determining my future life, so I want it to be done 100% correctly.

I will definitely leave a complaint with VFS, but not feeling any more at ease over how Sheffield will view the lack of original documents
yes,I hope that the online complaint allows you to keep a copy. Quote their own FAQ back to them ( the one I posted about your documents and passport will be sent and returned etc)

at least its proof you queried the process if there is an issue. Original documents are required but whether VFS canada have different procedures should have been explained. Possibly because canada is considered a low risk country for fraudulent paperwork?

The agent is very unprofessional, she should explain WHY 'it will be fine' and specify procedures. After all you are paying a fee and a priority fee as well.

I would have expected her to inspect your ORIGINAL documents, and then if it's correct they are not sending originals, to take copies herself of the originals, OR assess that your copies are identical before sending them off. If indeed she has the authority to do so.

What did she photocopy? Your originals or your copies?

Why not ring an immigration agent in Canada- you might find someone friendly who tells you more about the process there...!
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by michali
This is on the VFS site for Canada but it really is not clear though it does appear the process is different from other Canadian VFS centres.

'Note for all Settlement cases applied for in Toronto:

With effect from 25 May 2015, all settlement applications submitted in Toronto must be submitted at the Visa Application Centre in Toronto. They cannot be sent directly by the applicant or their representative. All applicants are advised that they MUST bring all of their original supporting documents along with a photocopy of each document to their Visa Appointment.

Failure to provide photocopies along with your original documents may result in delays when you are submitting your application. Photocopying services are available at the Toronto VAC at a cost of $1.00 per copy. If we are unable to provide this photocopying service for oversized documents, we may have to request you to return with the required photocopies before your application can be accepted

The instruction above is only for the submission of settlement applications at the Toronto VAC. VACs located in Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa will accept your application with originals as per current process.'

I can imagine how worrying it is but hopefully the officer knew what she was doing.
Useful info and interesting,,, as OP supplied copies along with the originals why on earth did the agent 'rip' them apart and then photocopy again and charge OP? Maybe they need to raise revenue in that office!!
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on - I think the process shynes described is only for specific visa applications, and I can't see the spouse visa on there....

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/canada/u..._services.html
Document Certification - Payment can be made On-line or at the VAC

Available in Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa

Price: USD 10 for each document certified.

This service allows applicants applying to one of the PBS visa categories (see below list) to allow a VFS staff to certify a copy of an original document. This allows the applicant to retain his original documents, such as diploma or birth certificate, and allow VFS to certify and submit a confirmed photocopy in its place. Upon the payment of the Certification fee, VFS staff will check your original document and certify your photocopy as a true copy of the original so that you can keep your original document without having to submit it to the Decision Making Centre in New York.

Important note: You must present the original document at the time of your appointment at the Visa Application Centre so this can be checked by VFS staff. Applicants are free to bring in their own photocopies – with the original – or they can receive photocopies at the VAC. The purchase of Certification service will not affect the decision on your visa applicant nor is it proof of the validity of a document. VFS is only certifying the photocopy as a true copy from the original presented inside the VAC, which allows the applicant to retain his original documents. VFS staff will not be liable for the validity or legitimacy of the original.

Only PBS visa applicants may apply for this service. VFS can only certify the documents which UKVI mandates for the original to be submitted. Documents not listed on UKVI guidance as requirements may not be certified by VFS staff. Please feel free to ask a VFS staff in the VAC if you have questions about this service.

Please see below the list of categories under the PBS route and click the names to access the corresponding document guidance:
PBS Tier 1 Investor
PBS Tier 1 Entrepreneur
PBS Tier 1 Exceptional talent
PBS Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur
PBS Tier 2 General visa
PBS Tier 2 Intra-company transfer visa
PBS Tier 2 Sportsperson visa
PBS Tier 2 Minister of religion visa
PBS Tier 4 General or Child student visa
PBS Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme
PBS Tier 5 Temporary workers – Charity worker
PBS Tier 5 Temporary workers – Creative and Sporting
PBS Tier 5 Temporary workers – Government Authorised Exchange
PBS Tier 5 Temporary workers – International agreement
PBS Tier 5 Temporary workers – Religious workers

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Apr 19th 2017 at 7:16 am.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:14 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sounds like VFS Toronto did the right thing - apart from explaining the process, which would have been nice!

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/canada/u..._services.html
Document Certification - Payment can be made On-line or at the VAC

Available in Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa

Price: USD 10 for each document certified.

This service allows applicants applying to one of the PBS visa categories (see below list) to allow a VFS staff to certify a copy of an original document. This allows the applicant to retain his original documents, such as diploma or birth certificate, and allow VFS to certify and submit a confirmed photocopy in its place. Upon the payment of the Certification fee, VFS staff will check your original document and certify your photocopy as a true copy of the original so that you can keep your original document without having to submit it to the Decision Making Centre in New York.

Important note: You must present the original document at the time of your appointment at the Visa Application Centre so this can be checked by VFS staff. Applicants are free to bring in their own photocopies – with the original – or they can receive photocopies at the VAC. The purchase of Certification service will not affect the decision on your visa applicant nor is it proof of the validity of a document. VFS is only certifying the photocopy as a true copy from the original presented inside the VAC, which allows the applicant to retain his original documents. VFS staff will not be liable for the validity or legitimacy of the original.

Only PBS visa applicants may apply for this service. VFS can only certify the documents which UKVI mandates for the original to be submitted. Documents not listed on UKVI guidance as requirements may not be certified by VFS staff. Please feel free to ask a VFS staff in the VAC if you have questions about this service.
Possibly not - a spouse settlement visa isn't a PBS visa.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:21 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Possibly not - a spouse settlement visa isn't a PBS visa.
Exactly! I'd edited my post as soon as I'd realized that, sounds like VFS may have messed this up.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the input everyone!

To clarify she didn't certify any of my documents, just took a few photocopies - literally just copied them in black and white out of a printer behind her desk, no signature or stamp. The documents she copied were because the letter from employer, landlord, letter of intent, etc, were just double printed and signed so she saw them as also "originals" because they had ink on them or colour company letterhead. For my old passport, marriage certificate, and birth certificates which I had included originals, they took those copies out of my copy stack and put them in the application stack to send.

I'm going to put in a complaint with VFS today. If this is indeed proper procedure for Toronto or within Canada, it should be communicated more clearly. If it isn't, the agents behaviour was still unprofessional. I am thinking they perhaps mixed up procedure as the office was so incredibly busy, and I was the only one with a settlement visa. Indeed, they had to dig through a pile of papers just to find a checklist for settlement visa documents (unfortunately this didn't mention original documents).

I've read if they need further documentation they will request it before denying. Do you think this might be the case instead of a flat refusal?

Still waiting for an email from Sheffield saying they've received my documents. The stress is high but trying to remain positive!!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the input everyone!

To clarify she didn't certify any of my documents, just took a few photocopies - literally just copied them in black and white out of a printer behind her desk, no signature or stamp. The documents she copied were because the letter from employer, landlord, letter of intent, etc, were just double printed and signed so she saw them as also "originals" because they had ink on them or colour company letterhead. For my old passport, marriage certificate, and birth certificates which I had included originals, they took those copies out of my copy stack and put them in the application stack to send.

I'm going to put in a complaint with VFS today. If this is indeed proper procedure for Toronto or within Canada, it should be communicated more clearly. If it isn't, the agents behaviour was still unprofessional. I am thinking they perhaps mixed up procedure as the office was so incredibly busy, and I was the only one with a settlement visa. Indeed, they had to dig through a pile of papers just to find a checklist for settlement visa documents (unfortunately this didn't mention original documents).

I've read if they need further documentation they will request it before denying. Do you think this might be the case instead of a flat refusal?

Still waiting for an email from Sheffield saying they've received my documents. The stress is high but trying to remain positive!!
yes put in a complaint asap as if there is a problem the onus is on VFS.
Old May 6th 2017, 12:15 am
Just Joined

emu77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shynes,

Just wanted to follow up with you about how your situation is going? I applied for my settlement-wife visa just over a week after you (April 21) and I had an almost identical situation! I wish I had seen your post before I went in there, as I left my appointment feeling sick and almost in tears because I was so concerned. I also paid for priority service, however I did receive an email from UKVI letting me know they have my application (got it on April 25).

I'm still very nervous about it, but I feel a bit better knowing I wasn't the only one this happened to! I just wanted to see if you've received any news about your application yet? I went for priority because my impatience always gets the better of me (paired with anxiety issues, needless to say I'm losing a lot of sleep!) and I was hoping it would lead to faster processing, but the VFS staff told me it would still be 6-8 weeks (although I overheard another staff member telling someone else applying for the same visa with priority it would take 5-6 weeks).

I hope you've heard something and I'd definitely appreciate an update from you if willing to share!
Old May 6th 2017, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emu77
Hi Shynes,

Just wanted to follow up with you about how your situation is going? I applied for my settlement-wife visa just over a week after you (April 21) and I had an almost identical situation! I wish I had seen your post before I went in there, as I left my appointment feeling sick and almost in tears because I was so concerned. I also paid for priority service, however I did receive an email from UKVI letting me know they have my application (got it on April 25).

I'm still very nervous about it, but I feel a bit better knowing I wasn't the only one this happened to! I just wanted to see if you've received any news about your application yet? I went for priority because my impatience always gets the better of me (paired with anxiety issues, needless to say I'm losing a lot of sleep!) and I was hoping it would lead to faster processing, but the VFS staff told me it would still be 6-8 weeks (although I overheard another staff member telling someone else applying for the same visa with priority it would take 5-6 weeks).

I hope you've heard something and I'd definitely appreciate an update from you if willing to share!
Hey emu77,

I feel your pain! My nerves are shot. I lodged a complaint with VFS on the 21st, a week after my appointment. They got back to me the next business day, apologising for their staffs lack of professionalism and not conveying that this is indeed the correct processing procedure for their Toronto office. I received my processing email from Sheffield UKVI on the 23rd (a Sunday which was odd?), 4 business days after submitting my biometrics.

VFS staff also told me the turnaround time was 6-8 weeks with priority, which I thought was strange considering many timelines I read about online were 2 weeks. Obviously I know that each application is different, but that seems like a big gap! I actually checked processing times for other centres in Canada, and apparently Halifax had a February processing time of 100% of applications returned within 5 days, Vancouver and Ottawa similar results. Toronto on the other hand is 66% within 30 days, 100% within 60. I actually flew to Toronto from Newfoundland, so I could have easily have gone to Halifax had I known... now I'm kicking myself for not checking that beforehand. I just assumed it would be easier coming from Toronto as it's a larger centre.

Please let me know if you hear anything further from yours & I'll do the same! I also have anxiety issues, and it's gotten to the point where I've been nauseous and have barely eaten in a fortnight. So praying I hear something back soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.