USC narrying a UKC and staying in the UK..

Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

chrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nice
Default USC narrying a UKC and staying in the UK..

I know there is alot of USC and UKC that have married, and gone to the UK, we are now exploring the route of the USC coming here and getting married here, can anyone give me some advise of where to head or hwere provides good information....a forum like this would be brilliant, I'm hoping the process is alot easier in the UK....
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:18 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: USC narrying a UKC and staying in the UK..

Try here: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0

When SWMBO and I got married, it was very easy. Sadly it appears to be getting harder by the day. IIRC there's a bill in the pipeline that means the UKC will have to get permission from HMG before marrying the USC
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all
Default Re: USC narrying a UKC and staying in the UK..

I'm a UKC and married my dear lady wife (as USC) here in the UK... It all worked out in the end, but here's our experience...

Katie moved to the UK where she applied for a fiance's visa as per the instructions on the Home Office website. We sat back and waited, then we finally got a letter from the home office... VISA APPLICATION DENIED!

they changed the rules a day after we sent the paperwork in... USCs used to be able to apply for the visa in the UK, but now, in order to apply for a fiance visa for the UK, the USC MUST apply to the nearest UK consulate in the US, and be resident in the US at the time AND be able to take delivery of the visa in the US.

We were told that Katie had to go back to the US, apply again to the consulate and the visa would then be judged, approved and delivered. We asked before we both travelled all the way back to the US what documents we needed to take and they gave us a list.

We then got back to the US, submitted the application with all the supporting documents they asked for, only to get a phone call a week later from the consulate saying that they needed more paperwork! I got a little angry at that point and told the lady who called that we had submitted EVERYTHING they had asked for and we had even checked before we left the UK that we didn't need anything else... to avoid the very conversation we were having... Bad move on my part... the lady got very defensive and was about to hang up... luckily Katie snatched the phone off me at that point and saved the situation!

Also luckily, the "evidence of relationship" they wanted was accesible for me online... phone bills and e-mails and such.

Another week later we got the letter of approval. I went back to the UK and Katie followed a few days later when her passport had been sent back to her US address.

From then on, it was smooth sailing.

Basically, make sure the USC has a valid fiance visa BEFORE travelling to the UK... and don't trust the UK consulate staff about the information you need to submit... get as much as you can and be prepared to send more.

Good luck!