Wikiposts

US Wife Wants to Move to UK

Old Nov 5th 2013, 8:08 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Wife Wants to Move to UK

Originally Posted by trixt
The only issue with that though is she will have to finish her current job due to the time being spent away. And we will also have to cancel our rental because it just isn't financially feasible to pay rent for a property we are not occupying. The bank account is easy and we will just keep that regardless.

Surely explaining this to UK immigration they will understand? It's common sense really.
Well.......what are you going to tell them.....at the border....when they ask you what is the purpose of your visit?

Without sounding patronising, you need to understand that "common sense" is not the same thing as "what I want". Which essentially is what you are asking. You "want" the border official to admit your wife so she can have a trial run at living in the UK. That really isn't the same thing as "common sense".

Last edited by rebeccajo; Nov 5th 2013 at 8:13 am.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

UKBA have no listening skills. Rather like the IRS.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

trixt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Well.......what are you going to tell them.....at the border....when they ask you what is the purpose of your visit?

Without sounding patronising, you need to understand that "common sense" is not the same thing as "what I want". Which essentially is what you are asking. You "want" the border official to admit your wife so she can have a trial run at living in the UK. That really isn't the same thing as "common sense".
Purpose of the visit is to spend time with family and friends, and to travel around the UK.

Then during this time if she wants to make the stay more permanent we will look into what routes are available.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:05 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Purpose of the visit is to spend time with family and friends, and to travel around the UK.

Then during this time if she wants to make the stay more permanent we will look into what routes are available.
The first paragraph is what you want to tell the immigration officer.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:46 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Once again.

BEFORE she gives up her job and you give up your apartment, I would suggest you look into what routes are available.

It does no good to make a decision to live in a country before you know if you as a couple can accomplish what it takes to live there.

I'm not being b*tchy and I'm not making this stuff up. You REALLY must do this. Otherwise you potentially set yourself up for disappointment and/or failure.

Please read the link in my signature. It might help explain things.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

trixt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Once again.

BEFORE she gives up her job and you give up your apartment, I would suggest you look into what routes are available.

It does no good to make a decision to live in a country before you know if you as a couple can accomplish what it takes to live there.

I'm not being b*tchy and I'm not making this stuff up. You REALLY must do this. Otherwise you potentially set yourself up for disappointment and/or failure.

Please read the link in my signature. It might help explain things.
Firstly, I appreciate your input and I am not interpreting this as b*tchy in any way.

Having been through the ups and downs of US immigration I completely agree with you that there is a lot to take in.

However, on this occasion it really is just a case of visiting the UK for up to 6 months and spending time with family and friends. That's it really.

The area I was looking for more info in is regards to what happens after this period - if and when we would be looking to move to the UK on a more permanent basis.

Having done my own research I have already found out some of the possibilities and so thankfully I am gaining somewhat of an understanding.

As for giving up the job and apartment - this is unfortunately inevitable due to the amount of time we will both be away on vacation.

Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aaah..... the joys of being able to take 6 months vacation ........

Really?
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

The only issue with that though is she will have to finish her current job due to the time being spent away. And we will also have to cancel our rental because it just isn't financially feasible to pay rent for a property we are not occupying. The bank account is easy and we will just keep that regardless.

Surely explaining this to UK immigration they will understand? It's common sense really.
DO NOT EVER, EVER, EVER RELY ON UK IMMIGRATION COMMON SENSE.

REPEAT THIS TO YOURSELF WHEN YOU FILL ANY DOCUMENT IN FOR UKBA, OR IMMIGRATION.

SPELL IT OUT TO THEM CLEARLY, IN SMALL SENTENCES, ONE STEP AS A TIME.

vette
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Before you give up her job and your rental and hope that UK immigration don't ask you to prove that you will leave the country - read this:

http://britcits.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...spouse-of.html
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:59 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No immigration officer is going to allow you into the UK as a visitor if you're just given up your entire life in your country of residence on the basis you are visiting the UK with the intention of emigrating. 'Common sense' would dictate no-one is going to do that unless they actually plan to stay put.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I would also suggest that you regularise your immigration status/green card/citizenship in the USA before embarking on an adventure to the UKofGB&NI.