US Wife/UK Husband Moving from US to UK

Old Sep 3rd 2018, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Breefinns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Wife/UK Husband Moving from US to UK

Hi everyone —

I hope I’m posting in the right place.

I’m a US citizen married to a Brit. We went through the entire Visa process with the USCIS, which was finally approved and finalized in 2013. He’s lived here with me in The States for the past five years (Feb 2013 - current), and we’ve recently decided that a move to the UK was in our best interest. If anyone has any advice on this process, I would greatly appreciate your help and direction on filing. I have multiple questions, but to start off:

* Does he need to fill out a Returning Resident form, or file anything with the US to notify them of his move? As for the Returning Resident filing, I read that it’s only for UK citizens who haven’t been home in over two years... We’ve made at least 1-2 trips back to England every year, but where he’ll be surrendering his Permanent Residency in the States, I assume something will need to be filed either way.

I have many more inquiries if anyone out there has been in the same boat and can help. I just don’t want to overload you at the moment.

Any help is appreciated — thank you.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 5:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Wife/UK Husband Moving from US to UK

Hi there! I'm going to move your post over to the "Moving Back to the UK" forum, you'll get more help over there.

Thanks,
Rene
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 5:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

ADVICE? Don't leave until he becomes a US Citizen. The Returning Resident (I-131) is for EVERYONE. There is no exclusion because of nationality. But note it does not automatically preserve your US residency. Living a year or two here and a year or two there doesn't mean you have maintained your residency. Also one thing to take into consideration is that you need a UK Visa to live and work in the UK. Once he files for that for you, forget about his preserving his US residency. He will have clearly shown intent to leave and return to residency permanently in the UK. I don't recall the form number but you can look it up on the USCIS website where he surrenders his green card.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband, the British citizen, does not need anything to return to the UK - just his passport.

He DOES however, have to sponsor you the US citizen for a settlement visa. For this he needs to show accommodation, relationship and financial requirements.

Suggest you start looking here:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

Financial requirements are here:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ment_Final.pdf

Read carefully and come back with questions.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for the responses! My husband has opted against becoming a US Citizen, after much thought and research. We’re not planning on coming back to the States anytime soon, and he’s not interested in complicating his life every year by paying both US and UK taxes. We may regret not doing this at some point, but we’ll cross that bridge when it comes. Again, any input here is still appreciated, as we may not be considering it from all aspects.

We have already begun to fill out the settlement Visa and acquire the necessary documents, which is where more questions come in.

1. Since we’ve actually been living together in The States for the past five years, I find it difficult to answer some of the questions on the VAF 4A form, such as “When did you last see your sponsor?”, “How often do you meet?”, “How do you keep in touch with your sponsor?” Do I literally just put today’s date (as in the date I’ll be applying) for when I last saw him? Do I just write “daily” for how often we meet? And that “we live together”, for how we keep in touch? Just want to get that right.

2. As for relationship evidence, we’ve decided to provide joint tax returns, housing leases and travel information over the past five years. Will this suffice? And should I include all tax returns and leases in their entirety? Or solely the first 1 or 2 pages? I’ll also include a few photographs, but not sure if I should ensure they’re from that entire 5-year span or just throw in a few.

3. He’s also self-employed, and we’ve decided to go through the cash savings route. We’ll have a full 6-month span of bank statements for both his personal and business accounts to provide evidence of our savings. However, where his business is currently set up in the U.S., we’re wondering if this will suffice, as he’ll eventually need to set up his business in the UK.

4. All income in his accounts are through the business, except for one payment of about $9,000 which was “gifted” to him from myself. I was involved in a homeowners insurance claim, due to being attacked by a neighbor’s dog, and I transferred the money into his account, to contribute to Visa costs. Do I need to address this in the financial section and explain where it came from, or would that only complicate/confuse?

5. Housing: My husband still has a permanent address in England, which is a rented council house where his Mom lives. He’s continued to receive post at this address, even whilst living abroad, and it’s where we stay every time we visit. However, he now has 3 siblings that have recently moved back home, and now there’s not necessarily any room for us to stay. We would only be there temporarily, until we can find housing of our own, but after putting down the house dimensions on paper, it would look uninhabitable for so many people. Is it advisable to still use this address on the application, or is it in our best interest to seek elsewhere? (We have some friends who have offered their address, if needed.)

Again, THANK YOU for your help and input.

Bree

Old Sep 7th 2018, 1:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

First off, just to make sure, you should be completing the online form (Settlement>Settlement>Wife) at https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/, not the paper Form VAF4A.

1. Yes, exactly that.

2. I wouldn't worry about tax returns. Covering letters from each of you regarding the development of your relationship and your future plans are always a good idea. Two sides of A4 is fine. You should then look to support the claims made in these letters with a selection of supporting evidence; photographs, leases, joint travel, etc.. That you have been married for over five years and that he has been granted a Green Card based on your relationship is also strong evidence.

3. You cannot use business accounts for the cash savings route. The accounts must be under the control of the applicant or the sponsor. You will need to transfer any funds from the business account into a personal account. If you haven't started this process yet then I would open a new joint account especially for this purpose where you can park the relevant funds for six months.

4. 'Business income and insurance claim payout' would suffice on Appendix 2.

5. If the property would be considered overcrowded as per the accommodation requirements then you cannot use it. You would need to find separate accommodation elsewhere. Friends would be fine providing there is sufficient room and they are happy to provide a letter giving you permission to stay there and evidence that they own/rent the property in question.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, BritInParis! I really appreciate all your help. A few follow-up questions regarding your responses:

1. I am filling out the Spouse Settlement application online, but on the gov.uk website, under how to apply outside the UK, it says the following:

Outside the UK

You must apply online from outside the UK. You must also complete Appendix 2.

“Appendix 2” being Form VAF 4A. Which, thus, means I additionally send this along with the online application — correct? Which may bring up another point. Would it be better for us to fly over first and just apply from the UK? Or would that just open a whole other can of worms?

2. We’ve only been able to obtain 4/6 prior apartment leases over the past 5 years, which is why I thought consistent annual tax returns would help support our relationship. Should I still disregard/omit them?

3. My husband is a freelance graphic designer and is set up as an S-Corp. He is the sole owner of the business (has no employees/staff) and has full access of the account. All income has been fully taxed since 2013, when it was initially set up. Can he really still not use it as savings? We’ll be able to obtain validation from our bank, as well, that he owns and has full access of both accounts (business and personal). Would this still not suffice?

4. Thank you for this response!

5. Thank you for answering this as well. It sounds like we’ll have to go with the staying-with-a-friend route. However, where he only rents the property, do I understand correctly that we’ll need to obtain written permission from both him and his landlord for us to stay there? And how much more in depth do we need to go, as far as documentation/proof? Would the landlord also need to provide documented ownership of the property? Do we need to send copies of passports? Etc? (I’ve seen this on that VAF 4A form. You got me all excited over the possibility of not having to fill it out, but I’m thinking we’ll have to.)

Thanks again for your help. We really appreciate it!

Old Sep 12th 2018, 2:24 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Breefinns
Thanks, BritInParis! I really appreciate all your help. A few follow-up questions regarding your responses:

1. I am filling out the Spouse Settlement application online, but on the gov.uk website, under how to apply outside the UK, it says the following:

Outside the UK

You must apply online from outside the UK. You must also complete Appendix 2.

“Appendix 2” being Form VAF 4A. Which, thus, means I additionally send this along with the online application — correct? Which may bring up another point. Would it be better for us to fly over first and just apply from the UK? Or would that just open a whole other can of worms?
Form VAF4A is Form VAF4A. Appendix 2 is Appendix 2. You need to complete the online application form and Appendix 2 and submit them from the US. You cannot apply from within the UK as a visitor.

2. We’ve only been able to obtain 4/6 prior apartment leases over the past 5 years, which is why I thought consistent annual tax returns would help support our relationship. Should I still disregard/omit them?
I'm not sure what you mean by '4/6'. You can submit the tax returns as evidence of your relationship if you want to.

3. My husband is a freelance graphic designer and is set up as an S-Corp. He is the sole owner of the business (has no employees/staff) and has full access of the account. All income has been fully taxed since 2013, when it was initially set up. Can he really still not use it as savings? We’ll be able to obtain validation from our bank, as well, that he owns and has full access of both accounts (business and personal). Would this still not suffice?
No. The business account belongs to the corporation, not your husband. That he is the sole owner and has control over it is irrelevant.

4. Thank you for this response!
You're welcome.

5. Thank you for answering this as well. It sounds like we’ll have to go with the staying-with-a-friend route. However, where he only rents the property, do I understand correctly that we’ll need to obtain written permission from both him and his landlord for us to stay there? And how much more in depth do we need to go, as far as documentation/proof? Would the landlord also need to provide documented ownership of the property? Do we need to send copies of passports? Etc? (I’ve seen this on that VAF 4A form. You got me all excited over the possibility of not having to fill it out, but I’m thinking we’ll have to.)

Thanks again for your help. We really appreciate it!
A tenancy agreement would be fine together with letters from the friend and the landlord signed in ink giving you permission to stay there pending your visa grant. Enclosing a copy of your friend's passport/driving licence is a good idea as well.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

BritInParis — You saved us a lot of hassle last year when we were initially preparing to apply. We were going to use both personal and business accounts as cash savings, until you kindly informed me that the business account would not fly.

We then transferred a large sum from the business to the personal account and once again waited out the required six months of saving — which brings us to today.

Would it suffice to provide the six months of statements after the money was transferred? Or should we include the previous statement that shows when the money was transferred?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 7:54 pm

BritInParis — You saved us a lot of hassle last year when we were initially preparing to apply. We were going to use both personal and business accounts as cash savings, until you kindly informed me that the business account would not fly.

We then transferred a large sum from the business to the personal account and once again waited out the required six months of saving — which brings us to today.

Would it suffice to provide the six months of statements after the money was transferred? Or should we include the previous statement that shows when the money was transferred?

Thanks in advance.
Just the last six months will suffice. You will declare the source of your funds on your Appendix 2.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Just the last six months will suffice. You will declare the source of your funds on your Appendix 2.
Thank you for the clarification BritInParis I’ve also seen some people suggest obtaining an accountant letter, confirming all funds have been fully taxed and that the money is ours. Is this worth getting, or is it considered unnecessary paperwork?
Old Jun 4th 2019, 7:27 am

Thank you for the clarification BritInParis I’ve also seen some people suggest obtaining an accountant letter, confirming all funds have been fully taxed and that the money is ours. Is this worth getting, or is it considered unnecessary paperwork?
That would be necessary if you were meeting the financial requirements through income. I don’t see it being useful if you’re going down the cash savings route.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That would be necessary if you were meeting the financial requirements through income. I don’t see it being useful if you’re going down the cash savings route.
Thanks so much for your help!
Old Jun 18th 2019, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all,

I'm adding onto my original post so there's a little background information, for reference. If it's best for me to start a new post, please advise.

I have a few questions regarding application.
1. On Appendix 2: Financial section 3.2 it asks "What is the financial requirement you are required to meet?" Regarding the options that are laid out, it seems I'm meant to put £18,600 but I know the overall amount needed is £62,500. Which one do I put?
2. Same question as above, but regarding the actual application on Access UK. It says: "The Financial Requirement threshold which has been calculated is _____". Should I submit £18,600 or £62,500?
3. Additional comments: I see a section for Appendix 2 but haven't yet seen one for the application itself. The comments I want to add pertain to the application and not Appendix 2. Should I just submit an applicant letter explaining these things (I know they're not required), or just include with the provided section in Appendix 2?

Hope this all makes sense – thanks for your help.

Last edited by Breefinns; Jun 19th 2019 at 12:12 am. Reason: Forgot to add text
Old Jun 18th 2019, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Since 3.2. is specifically referring to employment income one has to meet depending on circumstances and YOU are not applying under employment income I, personally, would not input anything into 3.2.

I would state in 3.3 that I am qualifying under Savings and then in 3.F give all the details of the savings

If you complete 3.2 then it indicates you are applying with employment income and the amount required is 18,600 GBP

Hope the info on that form you have shown is not your information.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jun 18th 2019 at 11:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.