British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   US to UK immigration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/us-uk-immigration-73496/)

D C Hill Apr 11th 2002 9:00 am

US to UK immigration

My girlfriend is keen to come to the UK from the USA to be with me and work, however
we can't see any way that this is possible. She works in the travel industry. However
as far as I can see, our rules are so tight that unless an employer can show that
there is no suitable EEA worker that could fill the job, she can't get a permit.

Neither of us want to marry just yet. Are there any ways around these tight
restrictions?

Price Apr 11th 2002 12:00 pm

Re: US to UK immigration

D C Hill wrote:
    >
    > My girlfriend is keen to come to the UK from the USA to be with me and work,
    > however we can't see any way that this is possible. She works in the travel
    > industry. However as far as I can see, our rules are so tight that unless an
    > employer can show that there is no suitable EEA worker that could fill the job, she
    > can't get a permit.
    >
    > Neither of us want to marry just yet. Are there any ways around these tight
    > restrictions?

I doubt it. See http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ for the official methods.

I think the only legal ways (barring asylum, which it is doubtful she could get) are
as a fiancee, on the basis of marriage or a work permit. All 3 require prior entry
clearance which must be obtained in advance. In the case of a work permit the
permission to enter is the permit itself which cannot be applied for when the
candidate is in the UK, as far as I know.

There is the possibility of entry (I believe) as an unmarried longterm partner and
certainly permanent residence is granted on this basis but it is usually (always?)
used by same sex couples. If you tried to apply for this my guess is that IND would
deny on the basis that you are free to marry.

Illegal overstay after entry as a tourist would cause more problems than it's worth,
not the least of which is one cannot legally work

Try misc.immigration.misc. UK immigration is discussed there.

Lisa Apr 11th 2002 9:00 pm

"D C Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > My girlfriend is keen to come to the UK from the USA to be with me and work,
    > however we can't see any way that this is possible. She works in the travel
    > industry. However as far as I can see, our rules are so tight that unless an
    > employer can show that there is no suitable EEA worker that could fill the job, she
    > can't get a permit.
    >
    > Neither of us want to marry just yet. Are there any ways around these tight
    > restrictions?

I find that the British Immigration laws are tighter and stricter than the US, but
accessing a visa through work is pretty damn tough! Usually companies transfer their
workers abroad and deal for the legal process. But I would advise you to marry her,
but bear in mind I do understand the headaches and woos you have, but look at it like
this, she gets in to the UK and you have access to a green card. Works both ways.

Jb Apr 11th 2002 9:30 pm

Lisa wrote:
    >
    > "D C Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > My girlfriend is keen to come to the UK from the USA to be with me and work,
    > > however we can't see any way that this is possible. She works in the travel
    > > industry. However as far as I can see, our rules are so tight that unless an
    > > employer can show that there is no suitable EEA worker that could fill the job,
    > > she can't get a permit.
    > >
    > > Neither of us want to marry just yet. Are there any ways around these tight
    > > restrictions?
    >
    > I find that the British Immigration laws are tighter and stricter than the US, but
    > accessing a visa through work is pretty damn tough!

I don't think it's tougher to immigrate to the UK and I've been involved in both
country's processes. For example, the UK does not require a medical exam when you
apply to stay as the spouse of a british citizen while the US does. The forms for UK
immigration are also much simpler, shorter and easier to understand (and there are
fewer of them!). The UK recognises same-sex couples under immigration law while the
US does not. There are other differences as well.

Pulaski Apr 12th 2002 2:27 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jb
[B]Lisa wrote:
  Â
I don't think it's tougher to immigrate to the UK and I've been involved in both country's processes.

Me too, and you are right, the US immigration process is much tougher, and more bureaucratic. My wife got a UK visa, it took her a couple of days and a $400 fee, it took me five months and a whole heap of forms to get a US visa, though it didn't actually cost quite as much and thankfully I got the visa on September 10, 2001, when security wasn't quite so tight.

Lisa Apr 12th 2002 10:30 pm

Pulaski <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by Jb Lisa wrote: Â Â Â I don't think it's tougher to immigrate to
    > the UK and I've been involved in both country's processes.
    >
    > ********************************
    >
    > Me too, and you are right, the US immigration process is much tougher, and more
    > bureaucratic. My wife got a UK visa, it took her a couple of days and a $400 fee,
    > it took me five months and a whole heap of forms to get a US visa, though it didn't
    > actually cost quite as much and thankfully I got the visa on September 10, 2001,
    > when security wasn't quite so tight.

That is great news for you but I was refering to the original thread's dilema! It is
hard to bring over a girlfriend/boyfriend to England, as the first hurdle is to find
sponsorship, just like the American H1-B visa, which is a load of red tape and
hassle! The UK is just the same when it comes to foregin workers! And even if the
person could find a sponsor there is no guarantee for the work visa as it goes
through a tunnel of Depts! But getting married, well, that's another ball game! Being
a Brit & going through the H1-B visa myself, with no help:
i.e: Had a 6 months tourist visa which can be changed to a work visa (so I'm
franticly looking for a job with sponsorship). I was denied a H1-B visa. I
joined my partner out in LA, and after a year or so of filling papers left,
right & center, spending $$$ on immigration attorneys, I finally made it, as I
didn't want to marry, but looking back, it was the best way!!! It's just tough
to bring over a partner either to the UK or the US! I have been with my partner
for 11yrs and still have no plans to marry!

Jb Apr 12th 2002 11:30 pm

Lisa wrote:
    >
    > Pulaski <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Originally posted by Jb Lisa wrote: I don't think it's tougher to immigrate to
    > > the UK and I've been involved in both country's processes.
    > >
    > > ********************************
    > >
    > > Me too, and you are right, the US immigration process is much tougher, and more
    > > bureaucratic. My wife got a UK visa, it took her a couple of days and a $400 fee,
    > > it took me five months and a whole heap of forms to get a US visa, though it
    > > didn't actually cost quite as much and thankfully I got the visa on September 10,
    > > 2001, when security wasn't quite so tight.
    >
    > That is great news for you but I was refering to the original thread's dilema! It
    > is hard to bring over a girlfriend/boyfriend to England,

I agree. This is very difficult and no allowances for 'girlfriend' exist in
immigration law, of course. Without marriage I think the only option is a work permit