US girlfriend and I wanting to get married in UK - how?

Old Jun 1st 2014, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Whymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond repute
Default US girlfriend and I wanting to get married in UK - how?

My girlfriend who is American (19) and I (a British citizen, 34) would like to get married in the UK and live here. We have known each other for over two years and have spent time together and are constantly on the phone. We have thought about this intensely and both want this more than anything, without doubts on either side.

I'm slightly confused about the process and difficulties. I understand that she would have to apply for a spouse visa in the US. I have some questions regarding this whole thing:

* Does she explicitly have to apply in the US to marry me here in the UK, or are there other ways around it? Not that it matters either way, but the information I found online seems a bit all over the place.

* Does anyone here have experience in this situation? I hear horror stories about how people were denied the ability to marry someone they love- is it literally if you cannot prove you are legit (in love, etc), or is there something more to it than that?

Thank you. I appreciate the time.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 3:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US girlfriend and I wanting to get married in UK - how?

As you appear to wish to marry and live in the UK I have moved your thread over to our UK forums.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 1st 2014 at 3:19 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Whymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As you appear to wish to marry and live in the US I have moved your thread over to our UK forums.
We want to live in the UK, not the US.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 3:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Typo...I meant the UK...that's why I have moved your thread from the US forum into the UK forum.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 3:48 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

You have to prove legitimacy of your relationship (usually not all the difficult for couples who have met face to face and been in the relationship a while).

You have to prove she won't be a "burden the the UK taxpayer". You do this by proving you earn ÂŁ18600 per year.

Oh and yes - she has to apply from the US.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
You have to prove legitimacy of your relationship (usually not all the difficult for couples who have met face to face and been in the relationship a while).

You have to prove she won't be a "burden the the UK taxpayer". You do this by proving you earn ÂŁ18600 per year.
Thank you.

Would 100k in savings help too or is it literally over 18,600 per annum?

- Would she have to apply for the visa outside of the UK, or can it be done inside. Can we get married inside without a visa?
Old Jun 1st 2014, 3:52 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

If you have savings of more than ÂŁ62500 that will work. You have to show it in cash and it has to have been in your name and under your control for the last six months.

You may be able to marry while she is inside on a visit visa, but she has to go home and apply from the US.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 4:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
If you have savings of more than ÂŁ62500 that will work. You have to show it in cash and it has to have been in your name and under your control for the last six months.

You may be able to marry while she is inside on a visit visa, but she has to go home and apply from the US.
I believe that, to marry in the UK, she has to come over on a fiancee visa
Old Jun 1st 2014, 4:13 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I believe that, to marry in the UK, she has to come over on a fiancee visa
Well, what I confusingly meant to say is this - some people do manage to legally complete a ceremony without coming over on a fiance visa. But they can't then stay in the UK and apply to stay as a spouse.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 4:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Two different ways of playing it if you want to marry and live together in the UK.

1. Your girlfriend applies for a fiancée visa from the US. She can then move to the UK, marry you within six months and then apply to remain in the UK. She won't be able to work until you receive this approval after your wedding.

2. Your girlfriend applies for a marriage visitor visa from the US. She can then come over to the UK, marry you and then return to the US to apply for a spouse visa to allow her to return to the UK and stay. She can work immediately on arrival.

A third option would be marrying in the US or elsewhere and then applying for a spouse visa from the US.

Option 1 is probably going to be your most suitable option.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

zuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Whymewhyme
My girlfriend who is American (19) and I (a British citizen, 34) would like to get married in the UK and live here. We have known each other for over two years and have spent time together and are constantly on the phone.
Hello WMWM, Things have changed quite a bit since I did the deed. My wife is a USC, I'm UKC. We met on the Inter-thingy way back when the inter-thingy was just a thingy (2001). We did the trans-atlantic shuffle for a few months and then I popped the question. After she said "yes" we flew into Edinburgh and tied the knot. Edinburgh and Las Vegas were the only two places I could find, at the time, that would allow you to just turn up on the day and get married (for the record my vote was for Vegas). There were some pre-requisites such as providing all necessary documents to the Edinburgh registrar before the "day". I don't know if the "rules" in Scotland have changed, but a call to the appropriate registry office might be worthwhile. All the very best.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 1:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zuluswede
We met on the Inter-thingy way back when the inter-thingy was just a thingy (2001).
So rarely do I find someone that speaks my language - thanks for the smile
Old Jun 4th 2014, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

zuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to behold