UKM or ARD, Questions for British Citizenship.

Old Jan 18th 2023, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

A1am is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UKM or ARD, Questions for British Citizenship.

Hi Everyone,
I Hope someone can direct me to the right path.

I bron in Bangladesh in 1980.
My mother is a British Citizen by Decent born in Pakistan. She is living in the uk from 2007 with right of Abode.
My Grandfather is a British Citizen by registration in the uk 1960, Born in India.

My question is am I eligible to apply for British Citizenship? if I can which form I can use to apply and what ground I should write in my cover letter.

Last edited by A1am; Jan 18th 2023 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 11:20 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UKM or ARD, Questions for British Citizenship.

You are potentially eligible for registration as a British citizen using Form ARD. Do you know exactly how your grandfather became a British citizen? What does his citizenship certificate say?
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Thank you BritInParis, for your reply.
My Grandfather became British citizen by naturalisation as an ordinary citizen in the uk. In his certificate it state that, British nationality act 1948 section 6 (1) and section 8 (1) applied.

Last edited by A1am; Jan 23rd 2023 at 12:47 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2024, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi BritlnParis, Happy new year.
I applied using Form UKM and unsuccessful.
The caseworker said
"Your maternal grandfather was naturalised (CUKC) 1960, otherwise than descent and your mother was born outside UK and colonies and her father passed on his status under section 5(1) of BNA 48 making your mother a CUKC "by descent" at the time of your birth. she would not therefor have been able to pass that status on to you.

Section 4C allows registration of an applicant under section 4C only if their mother was a CUKC by descent and the applicant was born in a foreign country."

"As you were born in (Bangladesh) on (1980) and at the time of your birth this was an independent country you cannot derive any status through."

Last edited by A1am; Jan 11th 2024 at 5:21 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2024, 1:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

In your circumstances you should reapply to be registered as a British citizen under S.4L BNA 1981 using Form ARD. For your explanation try the following wording:

My maternal grandfather become a Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies in 1960 by registration under S.6(1) British Nationality Act 1948. My mother therefore automatically become a CUKC by descent under S.5(1) BNA 1948 at the time of her birth in Pakistan in 19XX.

Had the law treated males and females equally at the time of my birth in Bangladesh in 1980 then my mother would have been able to register my birth at a British consulate within a year of my birth thereby making me a CUKC by descent under S.5(1)(b) BNA 1948.

As a CUKC with a Right of Abode in the UK under S.2(1)(b)(ii) Immigration Act 1971 as then in force I would have become a British citizen by descent under S.11(1) BNA 1981 on 1 January 1983.