UKM application - is there an age limit

Old May 19th 2014, 2:19 am
Just Joined

freshair is an unknown quantity at this point
Post UKM application - is there an age limit

Hi

I want to apply for UKM as my mother was British and I was born in 1951.
Is there an age limit for applying (I am almost 63)?
Old May 19th 2014, 2:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UKM application - is there an age limit

No age limit. There used to be a cut-off around February 7, 1961 but that no longer exists.
What's your existing nationality? You may already have Right of Abode in the United Kingdom, if your mother is British born.
Old May 19th 2014, 2:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks, good to know there is no age limit.

I am Australian; I was born in South Africa. Does that give me any Right of Abode?

Last edited by freshair; May 19th 2014 at 4:09 am.
Old May 21st 2014, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Forgot to confirm: yes, my mother was born in the UK.
Old May 21st 2014, 7:50 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freshair
Thanks, good to know there is no age limit.

I am Australian; I was born in South Africa. Does that give me any Right of Abode?
Forgot to confirm: yes, my mother was born in the UK.
It sounds like you do although it would be cheaper, easier and more beneficial to become a British citizen and apply for a British passport then it would be to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode in your Australian passport.
Old May 21st 2014, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It sounds like you do although it would be cheaper, easier and more beneficial to become a British citizen and apply for a British passport then it would be to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode in your Australian passport.
I thought one of the recent pieces of legislation scrapped the "Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode"? Or was that the Immigration Act which has only just recieved assent so may not be implemented yet?
Old May 21st 2014, 11:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
I thought one of the recent pieces of legislation scrapped the "Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode"? Or was that the Immigration Act which has only just recieved assent so may not be implemented yet?
Not that I'm aware of. Do you have a source?

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/ap...of-entitlement
Old May 22nd 2014, 8:04 am
Just Joined

When my UKM application is approved and I get a British passport: will my Australian husband be able to accompany me if I make an extended stay in the UK?
Old May 22nd 2014, 8:36 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

When my UKM application is approved and I get a British passport: will my Australian husband be able to accompany me if I make an extended stay in the UK?
how long were you thinking of visiting the UK for?
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
6 months.
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:49 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

6 months.
Normally an Australian doesn't need a visa to visit the UK for 6 months. I'm not sure though if you entering as his wife on a British Passport will cause any problems though - they may think that you are trying to return to the UK and dodge spouse visa requirements so you may need a family visit visa. Hopefully someone else can help.
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:57 pm

6 months.
Normally an Australian doesn't need a visa to visit the UK for 6 months. I'm not sure though if you entering as his wife on a British Passport will cause any problems though - they may think that you are trying to return to the UK and dodge spouse visa requirements so you may need a family visit visa. Hopefully someone else can help.
Although your husband does not need a visa he would still need to provide evidence to the Immigration Officer he can support himself for six months without access to public funds and that he has substantial ties to Australia meaning he will return there and not overstay.

Does your husband have any recent European ancestry himself, i.e. parents or grandparents?
Old May 23rd 2014, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Does your husband have any recent European ancestry himself, i.e. parents or grandparents?
Not recent; his grandparents were born in Latvia and Lithuania. They emigrated to South Africa a long time ago.
His parents were born in South Africa.

Does that help?
Old May 23rd 2014, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Latvian citizenship is probably only possible in the case that they fled during the war http://www.np.gov.lv/en/home/citizen...an-exiles.html bit check out the other options on that site too.

As for Lithuanian - that may be easier. It seems he can get a certificate of Lithuanian descent http://www.migracija.lt/index.php?2136224072 but you'll need to do some more digging to work out what that means in terms of them getting a passport.

Both Latvia and Lithuania are EU members and that would remove the need for a visa to enter and work in the UK
Old May 26th 2014, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Latvian citizenship is probably only possible in the case that they fled during the war http://www.np.gov.lv/en/home/citizen...an-exiles.html bit check out the other options on that site too.

As for Lithuanian - that may be easier. It seems he can get a certificate of Lithuanian descent http://www.migracija.lt/index.php?2136224072 but you'll need to do some more digging to work out what that means in terms of them getting a passport.

Both Latvia and Lithuania are EU members and that would remove the need for a visa to enter and work in the UK
Thanks for the suggestion. I explored the Lithuanian route but, as his grandparents left Lithuania before 1940, it looks like that route won't work for him. Pity!