UKM Application Help

Old Mar 20th 2016, 8:24 am
Just Joined

helpmemovetouk2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UKM Application Help

Hello to all...
(newby poster)
I am looking to apply for UKM citizenship and before going through all the motions, I'd appreciate if someone could confirm if I'm in with a chance.
My grandfather served in the royal dental corp and was a British citizen.
My mother was born in a British protectorate.
I was born pre 1983 in Australia.
The only documentation that I can get is:
1.My grandfathers birth certificate
2.My mothers birth certificate
3.My documents.
Will this be enough.. My mother emigrated to Australia in 1967 (as a 10 pound Pom), but all documentation surrounding this event has been lost in time.
Appreciated any advice.
Cheers
Old Mar 20th 2016, 11:05 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UKM Application Help

You can only be registered under S.4C if your mother is British otherwise than by descent. Usually this means being born in the UK. Where exactly were your grandfather and mother born?
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

In order to get British Citizenship for the OP, it is my understanding that the grandfather would need to be in Crown Service when the mother was born outside the UK. Until the OP comes back with more details, no one can tell whether section 4C is possible.

If the OP's route to British Citizenship via mother is blocked and the OP's aim is to move to the UK, what about an UK Ancestry visa?

As long as the OP had a grandparent born in the UK and holds a Commonwealth passport, then you can apply for an UK Ancestry visa.

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview

The UK Ancestry visa will enable you to move the the UK to work for five years and then the OP can apply for ILR (settlement) in the UK and after a year, British Citizenship.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3
In order to get British Citizenship for the OP, it is my understanding that the grandfather would need to be in Crown Service when the mother was born outside the UK. Until the OP comes back with more details, no one can tell whether section 4C is possible.

If the OP's route to British Citizenship via mother is blocked and the OP's aim is to move to the UK, what about an UK Ancestry visa?

As long as the OP had a grandparent born in the UK and holds a Commonwealth passport, then you can apply for an UK Ancestry visa.

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview

The UK Ancestry visa will enable you to move the the UK to work for five years and then the OP can apply for ILR (settlement) in the UK and after a year, British Citizenship.
Thank you both for your help... My grandfather was in the Royal Dental Corp at the time of my mothers birth in Uganda. I believe that I can qualify for both of the pathways that you have described. I would like your views on if the two main original documents that I will have access to will suffice (my grandfathers birth certificate and my mothers birth certificate). Do I need to prove my grandfathers service record and if yes where could I get a copy of this document.
Thanks again
Old Mar 27th 2016, 10:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your grandfather was born in the UK, he was recruited for Crown service in the UK and he was married at the time of your mother's birth to your grandmother then you should be eligible for S.4C registration.

Therefore in addition to the documents you already have you will need your grandparents' marriage certificate and evidence that your grandfather was recruited in the UK. Was he recruited as an officer or other ranks? His rank, regiment and service number should be listed on your mother's birth certificate.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 12:52 am
Just Joined

On my mothers Ugandan birth certificate, my grandfathers occupation is only listed as a Government Dental Surgeon. I will investigate further if I can get any other documents around his crown service. He was an officer in the corp, but I need to find out his rank. Thanks for your help
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:20 am

What was your grandfather's full name?
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Charles Rupert Wilfred Birkett
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:36 am

Okay, so your grandfather was born and married in England which makes life easier getting hold of the relevant certificates although you say you already have his birth certificate.

I can see that he was originally a Gunner in the Royal Artillery but was commissioned as a Lieutenant in the Army Dental Corps on 29 August 1944. He then received a double promotion to Captain and then Major on 4 February 1963 with seniority backdated to 20 June 1957. He then moved from the Active List to the Reserve List on 4 February 1968.

It would depend on when your mother was born in Uganda (late 50s/early 60s I'm presuming) but it looks like he was an officer at the time of her birth which is generally sufficient evidence to show that he was recruited in the UK as all British officers need to attend an officer training centre in the UK. You need to apply for his service record to be sure though and to provide enough evidence for the nationality examiner to approve your application. His service number was 328747.

Last edited by BritInParis; Mar 28th 2016 at 2:38 am.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Wow! This is awesome BritinParis... I'll order these documents now... thanks for your help
Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Okay, so your grandfather was born and married in England which makes life easier getting hold of the relevant certificates although you say you already have his birth certificate.

I can see that he was originally a Gunner in the Royal Artillery but was commissioned as a Lieutenant in the Army Dental Corps on 29 August 1944. He then received a double promotion to Captain and then Major on 4 February 1963 with seniority backdated to 20 June 1957. He then moved from the Active List to the Reserve List on 4 February 1968.

It would depend on when your mother was born in Uganda (late 50s/early 60s I'm presuming) but it looks like he was an officer at the time of her birth which is generally sufficient evidence to show that he was recruited in the UK as all British officers need to attend an officer training centre in the UK. You need to apply for his service record to be sure though and to provide enough evidence for the nationality examiner to approve your application. His service number was 328747.
What fantastic research and information
Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

The amazing BritInParis!