UK wife, Kiwi husband, right to remain

Old Aug 31st 2015, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

ulasz29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK wife, Kiwi husband, right to remain

Hi Everyone

I need some advice, please. I am a UK citizen. I am originally from Poland, and I hold dual citizenship. I currently live and work in the UK.

Further to the above, my husband is currently in the UK on a work visa - tier 2. We got married (one month ago) in the UK after he entered the UK on his work visa.

He wishes to apply for the right to remain in the UK, but the appropriate route to follow is unclear. Gov.UK says that he can apply to remain as the partner of a British citizen after he had been on a "partner of a settled person visa" for five years.

That brings us to the "partner of a settled person" visa .... One of the exceptions to obtaining a "partner of a settled person" visa pertains to a partner from the EEA - which applies to me by the looks of it.

It looks like he cannot apply for an EEA family permit either, since the website states that he must be outside the UK to apply for an EU family permit.

Any advice, please? Many thanks in advance!
Old Aug 31st 2015, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK wife, Kiwi husband, right to remain

You have Polish and British citizenship by the sounds of it?

If so, your British citizenship supersedes your Polish citizenship, so you cannot apply for a Family permit for your husband.

He can either:

- remain on the Tier 2 and after 5 years (as long as it is not a Tier 2 intercompany visa) apply for Indefinite Leave to remain.

- apply for a spouse visa based on your being a British citizen.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ulasz29
Hi Everyone

I need some advice, please. I am a UK citizen. I am originally from Poland, and I hold dual citizenship. I currently live and work in the UK.

Further to the above, my husband is currently in the UK on a work visa - tier 2. We got married (one month ago) in the UK after he entered the UK on his work visa.

He wishes to apply for the right to remain in the UK, but the appropriate route to follow is unclear. Gov.UK says that he can apply to remain as the partner of a British citizen after he had been on a "partner of a settled person visa" for five years.
As a British Citizen, your husband cannot apply for an EEA family permit in the UK. There is one suggestion I can offer - give up your British Citizenship and then apply for an EEA family permit for your husband using your Polish Citizenship. Please see link below -

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-...ality/overview

Another point - does your husband got any UK born grandparents? If he has, he may be able to get an UK ancestry visa which will allow him to stay in the UK -

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview

Last edited by HKG3; Sep 1st 2015 at 6:05 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 8:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
Another point - does your husband got any UK born grandparents? If he has, he may be able to get an UK ancestry visa which will allow him to stay in the UK -

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview
Adding to this if your husband has other recent European ancestry and he intends to work in the UK then he may be eligible for an EEA/EU passport that would allow him to do so without the need for a visa in the same way you did on your Polish passport.