Wikiposts

UK Visa Problem

Old Sep 13th 2004, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK Visa Problem

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
it's all conflicting
One thing I've discovered in my dealings with the DSS/NI offices is that whenever you ask a question you always seem to get a different answer. If you try explaining that such-and-such in the other department said so, you'll almost always get a reply that no, that's not right, nobody here could have told you that.

Anything they tell me now, I demand that they put it in writing so I have some sort of comeback if somebody tries to deny it later on. Even then of course, they can still try the old "Ah, but the rules have just changed" trick. Maddening, isn't it?
Old Sep 13th 2004, 2:50 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: UK Visa Problem

:scared: eeek! this is what I seem to have found out too it's all conflicting i'm getting really confused, and I've been a stay home mom for 9 yrs so no N.I contributions from me!

Celtic_Angel:

I guess you're investigating a possible move back to the UK.

What govt. benefits exactly do you want to claim? Are you going back as a single parent for example?
Old Sep 13th 2004, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Honeymommy big thanks!!!!!! i'm hoping it won't come to needing benefits either but you never know , at least that's a load off my mind.
How are your kids adjusting to life in the U.K?

that's a concern for me because my kids have never even been to the U.K , apart from my eldest and he was only 1 at the time ,so it's not moving back home for them it's moving to a foreign country!!
My Kids are adjusting well now. We had the initial acting out, mainly as they missed thier friends and home in California. The thing is though we did not plan to come back, so although we tried to make it a positive thing for us all, the kids can sense parents feelings and with 6 of us it's hard to have a private conversation LOL..... Right now though they are pretty much settled.

The kids were only 6,4,2 & 2 when we left the UK so they had little or no memory of it here..... The only real problem I find is that they haven't quiet got the dress for the weather thing right... LOL I have to keep saying that flip flops and shorts just won't cut it in the rain.... LOL

On a serious point I would contact the pension office and ask for a pension forcast. This is a way to see how many years are missing towards your pension in the UK and it gives you the opportunity to pay for lost years.
Here's the links for you.
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm#5

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/...ngoverseas.asp

6 1/2 yrs away I have just had the statement to catch up... It's about £350 a yr. I have 2 yrs to pay it.....

As for claiming benefits and the savings you are allowed... It's £3000 for a single person and £5000 for a couple.

It is hard to get through all the red tape, and it is very frustraiting at times, but persistance is the only way or you get nothing......

We still don't have a place in school for our 13yr old son. The schools started back last week and it a fight to get them moving on giving him a placement... Bloody incompetance of the education dept. I have now found out that if you are returning to the UK it is possible to apply for the school before the move. The only thing though is you have to have a definate location. This is for secondary schools... The process for primary and junior is easy... Just turn up at the school with proof of address and they give them a place as long as you are in their catchment area and they have room...

If you do find you need to claim benefits I would suggest you call the CAB and social services, it is not the so called correct way but having children they are inclined to give good advice on what you can claim for. They can even help with all the red tape......A lot more supportive.....

Oh and if you intend to rent yourself, be prepared to pay 6 months in advance with a months deposit on top.....Not many will rent to you otherwise... Depends on the area though.....

Other than that it's a doddle..... Remember ya brolly
Old Sep 13th 2004, 12:35 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=PBC_1966]One thing I've discovered in my dealings with the DSS/NI offices is that whenever you ask a question you always seem to get a different answer. If you try explaining that such-and-such in the other department said so, you'll almost always get a reply that no, that's not right, nobody here could have told you that.

How true you are indeed
Old Sep 13th 2004, 3:40 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeymommy
The only real problem I find is that they haven't quiet got the dress for the weather thing right... LOL I have to keep saying that flip flops and shorts just won't cut it in the rain.... LOL
tee hee that got a giggle out of me........ kids!! mine would be the same and they think an umbrella is used to shade you from the sun!

as for all the info thanks kinda worring tho' I don't think the gov. has any idea where i am lol not sure if i've ever made any N.I contrubutions- do summer jobs count? lol

HM if you did apply for benefits did you get problems ? not sure that the"swaddling case" applies to those outside of the E.U
Old Sep 13th 2004, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

tee hee that got a giggle out of me........ kids!! mine would be the same and they think an umbrella is used to shade you from the sun!

as for all the info thanks kinda worring tho' I don't think the gov. has any idea where i am lol not sure if i've ever made any N.I contrubutions- do summer jobs count? lol

HM if you did apply for benefits did you get problems ? not sure that the"swaddling case" applies to those outside of the E.U
We had to fight with them but yes we did get benefits.... I will PM you.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by honeymommy
We had to fight with them but yes we did get benefits.... I will PM you.
Can't PM you your box is full or you have chosen not to recieve them....

All I can say is that there is help and you will get it should you need it.