UK/US Citizen to UK from Sweden

Old Jan 5th 2005, 9:35 am
Just Joined

agileflower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK/US Citizen to UK from Sweden

Hi there. My husband is the UK citizen, we are residing in Sweden. We have been told that we can apply for an EEA family permit which is very fast, but that once I get here it might take up to 5 years to get a settlement visa. Is this true? Is there a way to find average times? He spoke to the Stockholm COnsulate and not to London.

Also, if we go the settlement visa route, in what way does he have to show income? He will be continuing to work for his firm (in Sweden) but from London while he looks for work in London...he will have an employment contract showing continuing legal employment with the firm he has worked for from Sweden. Will this be sufficient?

The forms do not provide a lot of guidance on what kinds of proof to submit, just a general 'show proof of all facts'. We have marriage certs, photos, birth certs of our child, things in both our names in both sweden and england and the US, proof that he owns the flat in London that we will live in, a contract for consultancy/continued employment from his current firm....what other kinds of things are usually found helpful?

Thank you so much!

Best,
Tracy
Old Jan 5th 2005, 11:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK/US Citizen to UK from Sweden

Originally Posted by agileflower
Hi there. My husband is the UK citizen, we are residing in Sweden. We have been told that we can apply for an EEA family permit which is very fast, but that once I get here it might take up to 5 years to get a settlement visa. Is this true? Is there a way to find average times? He spoke to the Stockholm COnsulate and not to London.
Why not apply for a regular spouse visa? Getting settled status off an EEA visa is more awkward, and you need settled status if you want to get British citizenship eventually (plus settled status gives you more rights in the UK). How long have you been married?

I presume that it's not an option for you to get Swedish citizenship?

Jeremy
Old Jan 5th 2005, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

agileflower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK/US Citizen to UK from Sweden

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why not apply for a regular spouse visa? Getting settled status off an EEA visa is more awkward, and you need settled status if you want to get British citizenship eventually (plus settled status gives you more rights in the UK). How long have you been married?
We have been married just over one year. We much prefer to do the settlement visa, as I can start working on my 'time' for things like NHS sponsored school programs, citizenship etc....

I presume that it's not an option for you to get Swedish citizenship?
No....we are just there under the auspices of his employment.....

For the spousal settlement visa, do you think we have sufficient 'paperwork'? I am concerned about only having the contract till he is able to find more work...it is not as if we are going to skim by-he is quite well paid-it's just that it's not UK based employment at this point....

Thanks!
Tracy