UK Tourist Visa - Original Documents

Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

jb_be is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Tourist Visa - Original Documents

I am in the process of applying for a UK tourist visa for my wife (U.S Perm. Resident) and I've read in a few sites that original supporting documents need to be sent in with the application. For proof of U.S residency status, do we have to send in the original green card?? I am a little worried about sending the original green card in the mail....... Would it be acceptable to send a notarized copy of the green card? Please share your experiences or advice.

Thanks!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Tourist Visa - Original Documents

Originally Posted by jb_be
I am in the process of applying for a UK tourist visa for my wife (U.S Perm. Resident) and I've read in a few sites that original supporting documents need to be sent in with the application. For proof of U.S residency status, do we have to send in the original green card?? I am a little worried about sending the original green card in the mail....... Would it be acceptable to send a notarized copy of the green card? Please share your experiences or advice.

Thanks!
Good question.

Thinking about it, it's not a good situation as the passport also needs to be sent in to get the visa. The Green card is required to show your wifes status in the US.

I would be really interested in the answer to this as I might have to go through it in a bit, please post any findings.

Thanks.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Right....I didn't want to send the passport & greencard (original) in the mail unless absolutely necessary. I made a notarized copy of the greencard and also planning on submitting the greencard approval letter along with the application. I am hoping that this would be acceptable to the consulate, but it's hard for me to imagine if a lot of people would really send in the original gc in the mail!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jb_be
Right....I didn't want to send the passport & greencard (original) in the mail unless absolutely necessary. I made a notarized copy of the greencard and also planning on submitting the greencard approval letter along with the application. I am hoping that this would be acceptable to the consulate, but it's hard for me to imagine if a lot of people would really send in the original gc in the mail!
That's a very good point about submitting the original Green Card approval notice. I hope that along with a notarized copy of the GC would be enough.

I plan to go through this application, around the autumn time frame this year, could you keep me updated if you do this before then?

I also plan to pay for the longer term visa, so I don't have to do this again soon, though of course at some point we'll be doing the spousal visa app.

Thanks.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
That's a very good point about submitting the original Green Card approval notice. I hope that along with a notarized copy of the GC would be enough.

I plan to go through this application, around the autumn time frame this year, could you keep me updated if you do this before then?

I also plan to pay for the longer term visa, so I don't have to do this again soon, though of course at some point we'll be doing the spousal visa app.

Thanks.
Of course I'll keep you posted, I will be doing this in the next few weeks