UK Spouse Visa Requirements

Old Dec 21st 2016, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

mkermali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Spouse Visa Requirements

Hi all

I just wanted some help in terms of what I need to do and the process required in order to bring someone into the UK

Basically, I've met my partner who is currently in the UK using a student visa, she is originally from Kenya, Nairobi. Her student visa expires in October 2017. We plan to get married in Kenya around mid September 2017.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me understand what I need to do in order to get a spouse visa so that she can live with me in the UK after we fly back next year September after the wedding.

Thank you
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Spouse Visa Requirements

Assuming that you are a British citizen, you'll need to sponsor her:
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

financial requirements:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Yes I am a British citizen. Would I first need to arrange to have a civil marriage done in the UK? Any idea what is the process behind that and would it be fairly straight forward since she's in the UK already?
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:14 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can marry in Kenya or the UK. Providing the marriage in Kenya is legally recognised by the Kenyan government then it will also be recognised by the UK government - you don't need marry again in the UK. Alternatively you can get married in the UK whilst she is on a student visa. You can then apply in-country for her spouse visa.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, so if I'm planning to bring her to the UK after the wedding around September time, when would I need to submit the application by? Also, what is the process behind arranging a civil marriage in the UK and what documentation is needed from mine and her side?

Thank you
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkermali
Ok, so if I'm planning to bring her to the UK after the wedding around September time, when would I need to submit the application by? Also, what is the process behind arranging a civil marriage in the UK and what documentation is needed from mine and her side?

Thank you
https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-p...reign-national
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 5:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
After the wedding but before her student visa expires. It's worth paying the extra for the premium service to get a same day decision.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
After the wedding but before her student visa expires. It's worth paying the extra for the premium service to get a same day decision.
Oh, ok. I thought it would need to be done quite a few weeks in advance. So what are time implications if I wasn't using the premium service and any idea what the costs are?
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, ok. I thought it would need to be done quite a few weeks in advance. So what are time implications if I wasn't using the premium service and any idea what the costs are?
If you took the time to look at this link already provided to you you will see how much the visa costs:

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

The website quotes around 12 weeks for the visa to be processed. The times are not guaranteed.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

So I know I need to fill out the FLR(M) form, do you guys have any idea how often the government changes the form? The latest form just got updated this month and I want to start getting everything filled in over the next few weeks as I'm in the process of sorting out the civil marriage stuff? The last thing I want is to have everything ready, but then a new form is updated.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 10:47 am
Just Joined

linda1952 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am wanting a marriage visa for UK.� My question is in relationship with the appointment session.� My husband and I are traveling at the present time would like to know the timeframe that is given for the appointment i.e., are we given an enough notice like a month?� Does anyone know how much time in advance they let you know about the appointment date?
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

So I know I need to fill out the FLR(M) form, do you guys have any idea how often the government changes the form? The latest form just got updated this month and I want to start getting everything filled in over the next few weeks as I'm in the process of sorting out the civil marriage stuff? The last thing I want is to have everything ready, but then a new form is updated.
There is no way of knowing how often the form will change. You just have to keep checking. There is also an online version now. As to the paper version, it was changed in April last year, then in November and then, again, in December. However, you can use the current one to fill in so it would be easy to transfer the information to a new form, should it be updated again.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everyone,

I've been going through the FLR(M) form and just have a question. As I said previously my partner is currently studying a BSc degree and is in her last year. I plan to submit my application before she has finished her degree. Now the question is, how do I prove that she knows English? On the form it mentions that if you have some sort of qualification/degree then you can use that, but she hasn't finished yet, so what do I do? None of the guidance notes mention anything if you are a student. I really don't want to resort to her doing and English test if she is already doing a degree. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 9:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been going through the FLR(M) form and just have a question. As I said previously my partner is currently studying a BSc degree and is in her last year. I plan to submit my application before she has finished her degree. Now the question is, how do I prove that she knows English? On the form it mentions that if you have some sort of qualification/degree then you can use that, but she hasn't finished yet, so what do I do? None of the guidance notes mention anything if you are a student. I really don't want to resort to her doing and English test if she is already doing a degree. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
If she is studying in her final year then presumably she will graduate before her visa expires in October?

If not presumably she was required to sit an IELTS exam or similar before being allowed to study at a UK university?
Old Jan 4th 2017, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

She graduates July this year, but we plan to submit the application before that. When she came here to study, they used her O Level results in English.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.