UK Spouse Visa initial advice

Old Oct 16th 2019, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

couchsurfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Spouse Visa initial advice

I am hoping to get a bit of advice in relation applying for a UK spouse Visa, hope that's ok.

We are planning to apply soon, I am a British Citizen and she is from Brazil. We have been married since September 2018, have been together since Jan 2016 (4 months together in UK, two visits up until May 2017 before I moved to Brazil), and lived together from May 2017 to August 2019 in Brazil. Right now I am working in the UK on a temporary basis, but hopefully I will get a permanent job this month or the next. She is finishing off a job in Brazil, and I will be visiting her in November.

The thing that’s worrying us the most is; proof of living together for 2 years. This is the case in the dates mentioned above but we lived in a friend’s apartment in Brazil so don’t have many official documents with both our names on with the address. We can ask her friend (owner of apartment) to write a letter stating that me and her both lived there for the 2 years. Is that likely to suffice? We do have a few bank statements and a joint account with our names and the address on, but that's it, plus a few internet bills.

Just one last thing, she is planning to come here early next year (Jan/Feb) and by that time I would have a rented property (further living together evidence before we apply I guess?). My question is how does that work with her entering the country, a tourist visa is 6 months I think, she would be booking a one way flight. Would that cause problems with immigration? Would she need to be coy about what she’s doing or just be honest? She might end up staying in Brazil during the process, with a few visits, but would obviously prefer here to come here beforehand.

I hope this isn't too long, and would really appreciate a few tips from people who have been through similar situations. Thank you
Old Oct 16th 2019, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Manuella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Spouse Visa initial advice

Originally Posted by couchsurfer
I am hoping to get a bit of advice in relation applying for a UK spouse Visa, hope that's ok.

We are planning to apply soon, I am a British Citizen and she is from Brazil. We have been married since September 2018, have been together since Jan 2016 (4 months together in UK, two visits up until May 2017 before I moved to Brazil), and lived together from May 2017 to August 2019 in Brazil. Right now I am working in the UK on a temporary basis, but hopefully I will get a permanent job this month or the next. She is finishing off a job in Brazil, and I will be visiting her in November.

The thing that’s worrying us the most is; proof of living together for 2 years. This is the case in the dates mentioned above but we lived in a friend’s apartment in Brazil so don’t have many official documents with both our names on with the address. We can ask her friend (owner of apartment) to write a letter stating that me and her both lived there for the 2 years. Is that likely to suffice? We do have a few bank statements and a joint account with our names and the address on, but that's it, plus a few internet bills.

Just one last thing, she is planning to come here early next year (Jan/Feb) and by that time I would have a rented property (further living together evidence before we apply I guess?). My question is how does that work with her entering the country, a tourist visa is 6 months I think, she would be booking a one way flight. Would that cause problems with immigration? Would she need to be coy about what she’s doing or just be honest? She might end up staying in Brazil during the process, with a few visits, but would obviously prefer here to come here beforehand.

I hope this isn't too long, and would really appreciate a few tips from people who have been through similar situations. Thank you
The fact that you are married means there is no requirement for you to have lived together. (It's only required for unmarried partners). It don't matter how long you have lived together the only thing you need is to proof your relationship is subsisting which is widely discussed here.

From my two cents, why don't you go straight for a family spouse visa. A visitors visa is too complicated and will highly likely be refused since you are married and will set off all the red lights she won't likely go back home. A refusal will complicate subsequent applications.
Am in the process of doing mine and from what I have read, it's easier just go for spousal visa.

Lastly be honest in the application as even if a visa has been issued HO can curtail it anytime if they know it was obtained in deception.

that's my two cents though, there are some knowledgeable folks here who has lots of knowledge on the matter.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

- She would have difficulties entering the country without a return ticket - especially with a spouse visa application p ending

- She cannot remain in the UK while the application is pending.

As said, you don't have to prove living together. You have to show a genuine relationship.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 8:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Brazilian citizens do not need a visa to visit the UK for up to six months but she would need to return to Brazil to apply for her spouse visa - she cannot switch in-country.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manuella
The fact that you are married means there is no requirement for you to have lived together. (It's only required for unmarried partners). It don't matter how long you have lived together the only thing you need is to proof your relationship is subsisting which is widely discussed here.

From my two cents, why don't you go straight for a family spouse visa. A visitors visa is too complicated and will highly likely be refused since you are married and will set off all the red lights she won't likely go back home. A refusal will complicate subsequent applications.
Am in the process of doing mine and from what I have read, it's easier just go for spousal visa.

Lastly be honest in the application as even if a visa has been issued HO can curtail it anytime if they know it was obtained in deception.

that's my two cents though, there are some knowledgeable folks here who has lots of knowledge on the matter.
Thanks for the reply, and the reassurance about the marriage being enough- I guess its a case of translating the certificate with a sworn translator over here?

That does seem like a good idea- family visa. Although I am not sure if that is available to UK citizens. It does seem like our original plan of her coming over and waiting would not work, so appreciate the heads up.

I think a couple of short visits during the 6 month wait, with return flights is the best its going to get.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Brazilian citizens do not need a visa to visit the UK for up to six months but she would need to return to Brazil to apply for her spouse visa - she cannot switch in-country.
Yeah that makes sense. I suppose she could stay for the majority of that 6 month time, with a return ticket pre booked before we'd submit the application. My worry is they might be suspicious as to what she's doing for all that time, as she wouldn't be doing touristy stuff for 4 or 5 months! I guess during the application we'd have to reference this period and they might not like it? I really don't haha, I think coming over for maybe 3 or 4 weeks on an actual holiday seems a safer bet.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 8:56 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by couchsurfer
Yeah that makes sense. I suppose she could stay for the majority of that 6 month time, with a return ticket pre booked before we'd submit the application. My worry is they might be suspicious as to what she's doing for all that time, as she wouldn't be doing touristy stuff for 4 or 5 months! I guess during the application we'd have to reference this period and they might not like it? I really don't haha, I think coming over for maybe 3 or 4 weeks on an actual holiday seems a safer bet.
She will just need to be honest with the Immigration Officer - she’s here for an extended holiday with her husband after which she intends to return to Brazil to submit her spouse visa application.