UK Spouse Visa Information - evidence required etc 2013

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Leverseaux is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Spouse Visa Information - evidence required etc 2013

Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread and I have read through but there still some areas of concern I would like to seek your advice in. Thanks so much in advance for your help. All your success stories have given me alot of hope in this journey.
My fiancé and I have been going back and forth about this whole subject and we thought to seek a few more opinions before going ahead with the application for a Spouse Settlement Visa for me.

My fiancé is a UK Citizen (he was born there) and has been living and working there since Feb 2011. Previously he was living and studying in Singapore. We met here in 2007 and have since been in a genuine and subsisting relationship. In Feb 2011 he returned to the UK with intending to further his studies and settling there. We got engaged when he came to visit Singapore in Feb 2012. At the moment he is still in the UK.

We both intend to get married next month in Singapore. Our plan is to get married and then apply for a Spouse Settlement Visa for me before I travel to the UK to join him. Would like to seek your opinions on our application details as the application fee costs alot of money and we really hope and pray to come out at the end with a visa so we can be together in the UK.

1) My husband will be submitting bank statements and wage slips to prove his employment history at his current workplace. His annual income from this employment is approx £13,000. To meet the minimum requirement of £18,600, we are including wage slips from his part-time employment as an associate with a construction company. Annual income for this is approx £6000.

2) We do not have any substantial amount of cash savings. We are relying solely on his income from full time and part time employments as mentioned above.

3) Am I allowed to include a prospective job offer to add onto the financial requirement section? I am able to obtain a letter from a store manager from a Mark's and Spencer outlet in Gloucestershire stating their interest in hiring me together with salary details. Can I include this in my application?

4) According to the UKBA website, GCE 'O' Level English language pass is not in the list of approved English tests. I have 7 GCE 'O' Level passes. Only Cambridge IGCSE is accepted. I have done some digging and found an official PDA file issued by the Cambridge Internal Examinations stating that a B3 GCE 'O' Level pass is equivalent to a B grade in the IGCSE examinations. I will be including this evidence in the application to explain how I meet the English language requirement. I am trying to avoid taking an additional test as I believe that I more than meet the basic reading, writing, speaking and listening requirements. My entire education course while in Singapore was conducted in English.

5) Accommodation - My fiancé is currently living in a rented flat and owns a car. I will be including a letter from the landlord stating their agreement in me coming to the UK and living with him in the flat. At the moment my fiancé does not own any property of his own in the UK.

6) I will also include an expenditure chart for us.

What kind of documentation do I need to provide to prove that we have been in a genuine and subsisting relationship for the past 5 years? How do I go about proving this? Will printouts from Facebook accounts and photos be enough?

Once again, I would really appreciate any sort of advice anybody can give to us. Thank you again in advance
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:57 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice
Default Re: UK Spouse Visa Information - evidence required etc

As every case is different its hard to know what documents you will need so here is the UKBA website link to documents:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...-cp/documents/
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leverseaux
Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread and I have read through but there still some areas of concern I would like to seek your advice in. Thanks so much in advance for your help. All your success stories have given me alot of hope in this journey.
My fiancé and I have been going back and forth about this whole subject and we thought to seek a few more opinions before going ahead with the application for a Spouse Settlement Visa for me.

My fiancé is a UK Citizen (he was born there) and has been living and working there since Feb 2011. Previously he was living and studying in Singapore. We met here in 2007 and have since been in a genuine and subsisting relationship. In Feb 2011 he returned to the UK with intending to further his studies and settling there. We got engaged when he came to visit Singapore in Feb 2012. At the moment he is still in the UK.

We both intend to get married next month in Singapore. Our plan is to get married and then apply for a Spouse Settlement Visa for me before I travel to the UK to join him. Would like to seek your opinions on our application details as the application fee costs alot of money and we really hope and pray to come out at the end with a visa so we can be together in the UK.

1) My husband will be submitting bank statements and wage slips to prove his employment history at his current workplace. His annual income from this employment is approx £13,000. To meet the minimum requirement of £18,600, we are including wage slips from his part-time employment as an associate with a construction company. Annual income for this is approx £6000.

2) We do not have any substantial amount of cash savings. We are relying solely on his income from full time and part time employments as mentioned above.

3) Am I allowed to include a prospective job offer to add onto the financial requirement section? I am able to obtain a letter from a store manager from a Mark's and Spencer outlet in Gloucestershire stating their interest in hiring me together with salary details. Can I include this in my application?

4) According to the UKBA website, GCE 'O' Level English language pass is not in the list of approved English tests. I have 7 GCE 'O' Level passes. Only Cambridge IGCSE is accepted. I have done some digging and found an official PDA file issued by the Cambridge Internal Examinations stating that a B3 GCE 'O' Level pass is equivalent to a B grade in the IGCSE examinations. I will be including this evidence in the application to explain how I meet the English language requirement. I am trying to avoid taking an additional test as I believe that I more than meet the basic reading, writing, speaking and listening requirements. My entire education course while in Singapore was conducted in English.

5) Accommodation - My fiancé is currently living in a rented flat and owns a car. I will be including a letter from the landlord stating their agreement in me coming to the UK and living with him in the flat. At the moment my fiancé does not own any property of his own in the UK.

6) I will also include an expenditure chart for us.

What kind of documentation do I need to provide to prove that we have been in a genuine and subsisting relationship for the past 5 years? How do I go about proving this? Will printouts from Facebook accounts and photos be enough?

Once again, I would really appreciate any sort of advice anybody can give to us. Thank you again in advance
We have just been through this. What I would say is that they will be basically looking for you to prove that you have a genuine releationship. As you have realised, at this point, make sure you save all correspondence between yourselves, evidence of any co-habition such as utility bills, property leases (preferably in both names), bank statements, etc. They need original copies of everything, not computer printouts or copies, so make sure you save them. Getting all of the documentation together is the hardest part. I would include as much eveidence as you can.

Save everything you can if you get here because you have to go through a similar process again when you apply for Indefinate Leave to Remain.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:34 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
We have just been through this. What I would say is that they will be basically looking for you to prove that you have a genuine releationship. As you have realised, at this point, make sure you save all correspondence between yourselves, evidence of any co-habition such as utility bills, property leases (preferably in both names), bank statements, etc. They need original copies of everything, not computer printouts or copies, so make sure you save them. Getting all of the documentation together is the hardest part. I would include as much eveidence as you can.

Save everything you can if you get here because you have to go through a similar process again when you apply for Indefinate Leave to Remain.
Why would you need to get the 'documents' again for Indefinate Leave to Remain? if you've already got the spouse visa.... why would you need to 'proove' you n ya partner are geniue ? lol sh!t doesn't make sense 0.o
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Why would you need to get the 'documents' again for Indefinate Leave to Remain? if you've already got the spouse visa.... why would you need to 'proove' you n ya partner are geniue ? lol sh!t doesn't make sense 0.o
A spousal visa lasts for 2 years and 3 months. Before this time period expires, the spouse/applicant has to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) status. The application process involves completing forms and providing evidence that you are both still cohabitating and can support yourselves financially. Obtaining a spousal visa is not the final step by any means.

Once ILR is obtained, after the required time period, the spouse/applicant can then apply for citizenship. Note that applying for ILR costs almost £1000 and approximately £500 for each child. I suppose there is another fee involved when applying for citizenship.

Here are the forms you have to complete for obtaining ILR so you can see what you need to prepare for:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...etm0420091.pdf

Last edited by johnh009; Jan 23rd 2013 at 1:28 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:17 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

£1000? 0.o jesus didn't know ILR was that expensive 0.o

if you get ILR can you apply straight away for British citizenship?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

According to this it is 12 months. The more steps in the process, the more cash they can extract from you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indefinite_leave_to_remain
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

According to this it is 12 months. The more steps in the process, the more cash they can extract from you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indefinite_leave_to_remain
A person who is married to a British citizen currently does not have a minimum time they must hold ILR before applying for citizenship, as long as they meet other requirements. Of course this may well change before people applying under the new rules are able to obtain ILR/citizenship which will be from July 2017.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:40 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

A spousal visa lasts for 2 years and 3 months. Before this time period expires, the spouse/applicant has to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) status.
John, did you apply for your spouse visa under the old rules? (The old rules ended 8 July, 2012.) I ask because your spouse visa - ILR timeline seems to be the one from the old rules, which are in effect only for those who received their visas prior to the rules change.

Since 9 July 2012, all entry clearance spouse visas issued last for 33 months. Then the spouse must apply for a second (LTR) visa that will last a period of 30 months. THEN--only after the two limited-time visas have run their course--ILR can be applied for.... It takes 5 full years of residency in the UK to get ILR under the new rules.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...mily-migration

This thread was begun and ended BEFORE the rules change, so some of the info on it is no longer true for new applicants.

Last edited by WEBlue; Jan 23rd 2013 at 5:43 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice

We have all the joint rental agreement, enough bills in each of our names at this address, our daughter is in the local school. Just worried about income, combined we have about £25,000...
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WEBlue
John, did you apply for your spouse visa under the old rules? (The old rules ended 8 July, 2012.) I ask because your spouse visa - ILR timeline seems to be the one from the old rules, which are in effect only for those who received their visas prior to the rules change.

Since 9 July 2012, all entry clearance spouse visas issued last for 33 months. Then the spouse must apply for a second (LTR) visa that will last a period of 30 months. THEN--only after the two limited-time visas have run their course--ILR can be applied for.... It takes 5 full years of residency in the UK to get ILR under the new rules.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...mily-migration

This thread was begun and ended BEFORE the rules change, so some of the info on it is no longer true for new applicants.
Yes, we started the process in 2009. I suppose under the new rules there is a fee to pay at each stage. It is probably the only governement department that makes a profit.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can someone explain requirement to have 27 months of living expenses re: spouse v

Originally Posted by formula
It's the same with other welfare payments too:-
  • Working Tax Credit; the foreign national can't claim this in their own name if they have 'no recourse to public funds', but the Brit partner can claim the couple amount.
  • Child Tax Credit; even if the child is only a step child and a non-EU and has 'no recourse to public funds', the Brit can claim Child Tax Credits and Child Benefit for that child.
The other thing you didn't mention, is Pension Credit. Even the UK sponsor, has to stop claiming, all these benefits, if the ''Alien'' hopes to put in for ILR. There is a ban on benefits, for the both of you.....It states, on the SET M forms ''Confirm here you are claiming no benefits, in the UK holder's name.....''
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:13 am
Looking Around~

Default Re: Can someone explain requirement to have 27 months of living expenses re: spouse v

Originally Posted by dontheturner
The other thing you didn't mention, is Pension Credit. Even the UK sponsor, has to stop claiming, all these benefits, if the ''Alien'' hopes to put in for ILR. There is a ban on benefits, for the both of you.....It states, on the SET M forms ''Confirm here you are claiming no benefits, in the UK holder's name.....''
But by 'law' doesn't a British citizen have the right to apply for the benefits?

Even after spouse visa is issued he can apply if his funds less then 16k or he lost a job? its common sense... but what would the UKBA do ? if he lost a job ? 0.o

plus it doesn't effect his wife at all if she doesn't apply for anything

(which of course she won't) - it would seem UKBA have overlooked the 'benefit' rule well in my eyes anyway. someone up their isn't thinking.

the whole thing is a complete mess.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Don, do you know if the non UK spouse who has reached retirement age is entitled to the free bus pass and prescriptions? Not sure if these come under the category of "benefits."
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the guidance on public funds on this page: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...sed/cross-cut/
In particular:
The following benefits count as public funds:
 Attendance allowance
 Carers allowance
 Child benefit
 Child tax credit
 Council tax benefit
 Disability living allowance
 Housing and homelessness assistance
 Housing benefit
 Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
 Income related employment & support allowance – ESA (IR)
 Income support
 Severe disablement allowance
Social fund payment
 State pension credit
 Working tax credit.

Benefits that are not considered as public funds under the Immigration Rules include:
 Contribution based jobseeker's allowance
 Guardian’s allowance
 Incapacity benefit
 Contribution-based employment and support allowance (ESA)
 Maternity allowance
 Retirement pension
 Statutory maternity pay
 Widow’s benefit and bereavement benefit.
This is not an exhaustive list. If you are in any doubt you, must check the definition of public funds in Paragraph 6 of the Immigration Rules, see related link. Where the benefit is not included in Paragraph 6, it must not be considered as being a public fund for immigration purposes.

A person subject to immigration control is not considered as accessing public funds if it is their partner who is receiving the funds that they are entitled to.
Child and working tax credits are claimed jointly by couples. If only one member of a couple is subject to immigration control, then for tax credits purposes, neither are treated as being subject to immigration control.
A person subject to immigration control can claim certain public funds when they have a right to reside in the UK if they live with a family member who is:
 a British citizen, or
 a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA).
Bear in mind this is the internal UKBA guidance which gives an insight into how they interpret the rules. Act within in this and you woudl normally expect to be approved (although too many people's experience shows that is not always the case). Go outside and you may need to ask a judge to decide between your interpretation of the rules and the UKBA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.