UK Spouse Visa income requirements

Old Jan 17th 2019, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Harpers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Spouse Visa income requirements

Hi,

I am a UK citizen and currently live in the US with my US wife. We want to start looking into applying for a spouse visa so that we can both move back to the UK together.

My job is at a school, and is not salaried. I am paid hourly, and due to the 3 month summers my income from this job alone is not quite enough for the income requirements. If the job was year round I am paid enough that I would meet the requirements. 6 months of my job comes in at just under $15,000, but the school year is only 9 months. Hope that makes sense.

Does this just mean I can't use this job to meet requirements? And would I just need a 2nd job for at least 6 months leading up to the application so it can make up the gap?

Side note: Doubt it makes a difference but my wife is a salaried teacher and makes more than the requirement alone, but from what I've read that makes no difference for the application. Correct?

Thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Spouse Visa income requirements

Originally Posted by Harpers
Hi,

I am a UK citizen and currently live in the US with my US wife. We want to start looking into applying for a spouse visa so that we can both move back to the UK together.

My job is at a school, and is not salaried. I am paid hourly, and due to the 3 month summers my income from this job alone is not quite enough for the income requirements. If the job was year round I am paid enough that I would meet the requirements. 6 months of my job comes in at just under $15,000, but the school year is only 9 months. Hope that makes sense.

Does this just mean I can't use this job to meet requirements? And would I just need a 2nd job for at least 6 months leading up to the application so it can make up the gap?

Side note: Doubt it makes a difference but my wife is a salaried teacher and makes more than the requirement alone, but from what I've read that makes no difference for the application. Correct?

Thanks.
To things to think about here:

To be able to apply in order to travel back together, and using your current job, you need to be able show that you currently earn 18,600 GBP per annum. If you don't then you need something to make up the shortfall.
Secondly, this route, also requires you to have a job offer in the UK,again with an income of 18,600 GBP per annum..

You are correct..... your wife's US income does not count.