Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

UK Spouse Visa - Any work restrictions and Personal income tax allowance?

UK Spouse Visa - Any work restrictions and Personal income tax allowance?

Old Oct 9th 2017, 7:11 am
Just Joined

dinoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Spouse Visa - Any work restrictions and Personal income tax allowance?

Hi all,

My wife is a Malaysian citizen and I am the British citizen.

We recently got married and are applying for her 33month spouse visa to join me in the UK.

1) My first question is whether there will be any work restrictions associated with her spouse visa?

2) Secondly, if the answer to my first question is that she can work without any restrictions - then will she be entitled to earn money and have the same initial tax free allowance of Up to £11,500 as per other working individuals in the UK?

Any answers from your experience or any links to other sources for reading would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Dinoman
Old Oct 9th 2017, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Spouse Visa - Any work restrictions and Personal income tax allowance?

Hi dinoman, welcome to BE.
I think the answers to your questions are :
1. no work restrictions
2. Yes, she will get a new NI number and tax number then will get the allowance. Initially she may be taxed at BR (Basic Rate - 20%) on all her earnings but it will eventually sort itself out and she'll get back any overpaid tax.
you do know that when she comes to apply for Further Leave to Remain, her earnings can be added to yours to meet the financial requirement?

Brit in Paris - am I correct or just made a fool of myself again??
Old Oct 9th 2017, 7:53 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Spouse Visa - Any work restrictions and Personal income tax allowance?

Sounds right to me
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:56 am
Just Joined

dinoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you quiltman for you input and the tip :thumbs:

and thank you BritInParis also!

Anymore advice and input very welcomed