British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   UK spouse visa accommodation - ownership docs question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/uk-spouse-visa-accommodation-ownership-docs-question-918626/)

rclouds Oct 24th 2018 2:50 pm

UK spouse visa accommodation - ownership docs question

Hi there, I'm applying for my husband's spouse visa soon and we plan to stay with my dad for the first month or so until we find a place of our own. My dad owns his house and there's plenty of space for us but I've got a question about the documents we need to prove his ownership. When we previously applied for my husband's standard 6-month visitor visa, my dad supplied a letter and invoice from his solicitor confirming that the solicitor had registered the property with the land registry. And in addition to that, my dad supplied his most recent home insurance documents and this was accepted as evidence of ownership at that time. But I've seen in other forum posts about providing title deeds for spouse visas. So I just wondered if anyone can clarify whether what we supplied last time round would be suitable for the spouse visa application too or whether UK immigration only accepts the actual title deeds to the house? Thanks in advance

spouse of scouse Oct 24th 2018 3:18 pm

Re: UK spouse visa accommodation - ownership docs question

Originally Posted by rclouds (Post 12582492)
Hi there, I'm applying for my husband's spouse visa soon and we plan to stay with my dad for the first month or so until we find a place of our own. My dad owns his house and there's plenty of space for us but I've got a question about the documents we need to prove his ownership. When we previously applied for my husband's standard 6-month visitor visa, my dad supplied a letter and invoice from his solicitor confirming that the solicitor had registered the property with the land registry. And in addition to that, my dad supplied his most recent home insurance documents and this was accepted as evidence of ownership at that time. But I've seen in other forum posts about providing title deeds for spouse visas. So I just wondered if anyone can clarify whether what we supplied last time round would be suitable for the spouse visa application too or whether UK immigration only accepts the actual title deeds to the house? Thanks in advance

You're best supplying a Land Registry document proving your dad owns the property - click the 'search the register' link in the attached document https://www.gov.uk/get-information-a...h-the-register , from memory it costs £3 to buy and download the document proving title. (ps anyone can do this, you don't need to own the property and it can be done from overseas).
As well as that, get your dad to write a signed letter confirming you and your husband can stay with him, including a brief description of the house (particularly the number of bedrooms) and whether there are any other occupants. If it's only your dad, you and your husband, and the house has at least 2 bedrooms, then you'll be fine.
It would be a good idea to include a copy of his home insurance documents as well.

rclouds Oct 24th 2018 3:40 pm

Ah, thank you for clarifying, we'll look into getting the land registry document in that case - thank you!

spouse of scouse Oct 24th 2018 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by rclouds (Post 12582526)
Ah, thank you for clarifying, we'll look into getting the land registry document in that case - thank you!

You're very welcome :)