uk spouse visa

Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

jmarris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk spouse visa

i am sorry this post is a bit long but i would love a few opinions.Im an irish citizen who after finishing university in june '05 in Dublin met my fiancee in new york while on a VWP.between june '05 and sept '06 i visited and stayed with her on 3 different VWP (always returning when one expired). In sept '06 i moved to london, uk and obtained full time emplyment.soon after she came and stayed with me on a tourist visa until march '07 with me being the sole financial provider. in june last year she came to visit and stay again on a tourist visa.during that time here we saw a lawyer to try and apply for the unmarried partner visa for her to stay in london but were advised that we could not due to the fact that we did not have enough proof that we have lived together for 2 full years.she has since left in dec '07 and i have just been to visit her and we have to decided to get marrried.i believe i can enter the US on a VWP get married then return to the UK.my wife could then apply to come to the UK as my spouse and would apply at the british consulate in new york.if this is at all possible how long do would the spouse visa take to be approved??i know there is the fiancee visa for either the UK or US but from what ive been reading the UK spouse visa is the quickest.looking at the situation what do people think?
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk spouse visa

Originally Posted by jmarris
i am sorry this post is a bit long but i would love a few opinions.Im an irish citizen who after finishing university in june '05 in Dublin met my fiancee in new york while on a VWP.between june '05 and sept '06 i visited and stayed with her on 3 different VWP (always returning when one expired). In sept '06 i moved to london, uk and obtained full time emplyment.soon after she came and stayed with me on a tourist visa until march '07 with me being the sole financial provider. in june last year she came to visit and stay again on a tourist visa.during that time here we saw a lawyer to try and apply for the unmarried partner visa for her to stay in london but were advised that we could not due to the fact that we did not have enough proof that we have lived together for 2 full years.she has since left in dec '07 and i have just been to visit her and we have to decided to get marrried.i believe i can enter the US on a VWP get married then return to the UK.my wife could then apply to come to the UK as my spouse and would apply at the british consulate in new york.if this is at all possible how long do would the spouse visa take to be approved??i know there is the fiancee visa for either the UK or US but from what ive been reading the UK spouse visa is the quickest.looking at the situation what do people think?

FYI, you're asking this in the wrong forum. This is for people trying to bring their foreign spouse to the US. But I will attempt to answer your question.

The fiance visa process for the UK is much quicker and easier (last I heard) than th US fiance visa process. The US fiance visa process is taking approx 8 - 10 months right now. Last I heard (which was a while ago), the UK fiance & spousal visas process could be done in a day if you go to the British consulate in person. Or it could a few weeks if you opt to post all the info to the consulate instead.

Best place for more info on the entire process to bring your (future) wife to the UK is http://www.uk-yankee.com/.

Another fyi, you may have issues entering the US to marry your fiance, even w/the intention of going back home. Be very conscious of what you say at the Port of Entry for your reason to visit so they don't deny you entry.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Mar 7th 2008 at 7:16 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 7:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/arti...=41000&a=41031
Old Mar 7th 2008, 7:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

and a few weeks by mail, quicker if you can go to the consulate....not cheap though.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 8:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmarris
i know there is the fiancee visa for either the UK or US but from what ive been reading the UK spouse visa is the quickest.looking at the situation what do people think?
I don't understand where you two want to live. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518378

Your questions are confusing because you aren't setting an end goal. Remember my famous saying: Fastest isn't always bestest.

Decide where you want to live, who needs to work where and when and what your other needs are.

It is a fact: a fiance or spouse visa to the UK is faster than their counterpart to the US. They will not help you if your goal is to live in the US.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I did this 8 years ago.

Entered US on VWP and got married. Drove to Chicago a few days later, got her UK entry visa same day (took about 5 or 6 hours). Flew back to UK a few days later, no problems. I was in the US a total of 2 weeks.

Providing things are the same, you should be ok. The only requirement apart from proving identity and of course that you were married, was a letter from my employer stating my salary etc to prove that my new wife would not become dependent on the state.

Others who have done this more recently than me may have better input.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 8:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I think its all done online nowadays
or by mail ...or agent ...
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

jmarris is an unknown quantity at this point

ideally for her to enter the uk on a spouse visa,2 year remain to leave,work and save and then then we move to the us when her visa expires