UK spouse visa 🇬🇧

Old Dec 7th 2018, 3:51 am
Just Joined

anniedanielle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK spouse visa 🇬🇧

Hi everyone!
Im in need of a bit of help.
I moved to the USA last year on a fiancée visa and got married in the summer. I received my green card of March this year, and I have just had my first child in September!
After some deliberation my husband and I are considering moving back to the UK.
I will be unable to find a job earning £18,600+
However my family would be able to loan me £16,000 to put into savings, as I work full time once I return. Once I have had the £16,000 in savings for 6 months and applied, I would then be returning that money to them. I would say that they had gifted it to me.

When my husband comes over and gets a job we’d be earning over £18,600 combined, and we’d also be moving into my mothers for a short while at first, she has enough room for my husband and I and our little girl to have a separate bedroom.

I was wondering how we could go about all of this, is it possible to just go on £16,000 in savings and not the yearly income? Because by myself I would not be able to earn that amount and my husband would not be able to come over to work legally.

Last edited by anniedanielle; Dec 7th 2018 at 3:54 am.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK spouse visa 🇬🇧

Hi Annie,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure our resident experts will be along shortly, but I just wanted to let you know that, if you are relying on savings only (and no wages), the amount you will need in the bank will be GBP62,500, not GBP16,000.

This amount must be held in a savings account, or similar (but must be immediately accessible) for a minimum of six months without going below that amount.

If you are being gifted this money, you will also be expected to supply evidence of this, and confirm that there is no expectation of this money being repaid.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

As stated above if you apply using savings only the amount required is 62,500 GBP and it must be a gift not a loan.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 11:01 am
Just Joined

anniedanielle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
Hi Annie,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure our resident experts will be along shortly, but I just wanted to let you know that, if you are relying on savings only (and no wages), the amount you will need in the bank will be GBP62,500, not GBP16,000.

This amount must be held in a savings account, or similar (but must be immediately accessible) for a minimum of six months without going below that amount.

If you are being gifted this money, you will also be expected to supply evidence of this, and confirm that there is no expectation of this money being repaid.
What if I was to get a job earning (for example) £12,000 a year. Would I be able to combine this with my savings to make a total of £18,600? So earn £12,000 a year, and have £6,600 in the bank savings?
Old Dec 7th 2018, 11:23 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The equation is x - £16,000 / 2.5 where x is the cash savings and the result is the income you need to make up the rest. If you were earning £12,000 pa then you would need £32,500 in cash savings to make up the shortfall. The minimum amount of cash savings you can use therefore has to be over £16,000.

Have a careful read of Appendix FM 1.7. It lays out all your options.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ment_Final.pdf
Old Dec 7th 2018, 11:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anniedanielle
However my family would be able to loan me £16,000 to put into savings, as I work full time once I return. Once I have had the £16,000 in savings for 6 months and applied, I would then be returning that money to them. I would say that they had gifted it to me.
That's immigration fraud, and nobody here is going to recommend you do that. If your family gives you money for you to use to meet the savings requirement, it MUST be a gift, and not a loan.