UK Resident in January 2009

Old Aug 14th 2008, 4:39 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Resident in January 2009

Hi there, I am a UK citizen but have been resident in Spain since September 2004.

Next January however, I may be resident in the UK once again.

Does anyone know who I have to inform and if I would be able to access NHS healthcare straight away?

We still have a house, bank accounts and a private dentist in the UK and are registered as non-resident voters. We would not need any State Benefits. My husband still pays income tax to the UK as he has a Teachers' Pension.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Resident in January 2009

Originally Posted by scampicat
Hi there, I am a UK citizen but have been resident in Spain since September 2004.

Does anyone know who I have to inform and if I would be able to access NHS healthcare straight away?
Yes. You might need evidence of a UK address to register with a GP, however.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:32 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.

We still own a house in the UK, our son lives in it. We have our name on the deeds and I think on one or two of the utility bills (with our son).

I definitely know my husband's name is still on the phone bill as we never changed it over and I think my name is on the gas/electricity bill. All three of us are on the water bill.

We kept it this way for this express purpose.

Our son's initial and surname is the same as mine anyway.

So you don't think there will be a problem with the NHS??
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:19 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

So you don't think there will be a problem with the NHS??
There shouldn't be - just get on over to your local GP's surgery when you move back and tell them that you'd like to register. You'll have to fill in a couple of forms and might be required to have an initial appointment to fill in any medical history gaps for them but it shouldn't be any more than that.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

We still have a house, bank accounts and a private dentist in the UK and are registered as non-resident voters. We would not need any State Benefits. My husband still pays income tax to the UK as he has a Teachers' Pension.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

There shouldn't be a problem whatsoever - In fact I think you have a very fortunate position compared to the majority of those who would like to come home. I would like to come back to the UK but I have nothing apart from a bank account I left open.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:57 am
Ex Expat

Thank you all for your replies, the replies are as I hoped. I didn't think we would have a problem but just wanted to double check.

We were there for eight weeks recently and I was allowed to renew my library card!

I think even leaving your bank account open maintains a link, which shows you do not wish to sever all links with your home country.

Thanks again.