Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

UK Resident gave birth in UK but needs to go back to US where she is a Permanent Resi

UK Resident gave birth in UK but needs to go back to US where she is a Permanent Resi

Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Maria D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Resident gave birth in UK but needs to go back to US where she is a Permanent Resi

Hi,

My sister came home for my brother's wedding and gave birth early. She is married to a US Citizen and their home is in the US.

Can anyone advise her on what she must do? She has registered the baby's birth at the local hospital/town in the UK and have applied for a UK passport for the baby while she's here.

Does she need to go to the US Embassy to inform them of the birth since the father is American? And apply for a US passport? And what evidence must she provide to the US Embassy that the baby is indeed a child of the US citizen? DNA? Marriage Certificate?

Will she have trouble flying back with the baby? And what passport should she use to prevent problems at Point of Entry?

Will the father need to go to the UK to bring them back since my sister only has US Permanent Resident Status?

Please help!! She is stuck with a baby here and a husband in the US!!

Thank you so much!!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Resident gave birth in UK but needs to go back to US where she is a Permanent

Originally Posted by Maria D
Hi,

My sister came home for my brother's wedding and gave birth early. She is married to a US Citizen and their home is in the US.

Can anyone advise her on what she must do? She has registered the baby's birth at the local hospital/town in the UK and have applied for a UK passport for the baby while she's here.

Does she need to go to the US Embassy to inform them of the birth since the father is American? And apply for a US passport? And what evidence must she provide to the US Embassy that the baby is indeed a child of the US citizen? DNA? Marriage Certificate?

Will she have trouble flying back with the baby? And what passport should she use to prevent problems at Point of Entry?

Will the father need to go to the UK to bring them back since my sister only has US Permanent Resident Status?

Please help!! She is stuck with a baby here and a husband in the US!!

Thank you so much!!
I believe she needs to register the baby's birth at the US Embassy, since the baby is a USC by virtue of having a USC father. I don't know what that entails, but I'm sure you can google it and find out.

The baby needs a US passport in order to enter the USA.

The father does not need to go to the UK to bring them back.

Rene
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Resident gave birth in UK but needs to go back to US where she is a Permanent

The baby is a US citizen and must enter the US on her US passport.

Visit this page to get all the links.
Children Born in the UK to U.S. Parents

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents may have a claim to U.S. citizenship. If the parent(s) meets the transmission requirement, a child's birth may be reported at this Embassy and a U.S. passport and social security number may be obtained for him or her.

We strongly recommend that the birth of your child be reported to this Embassy as soon as possible after the birth. It is not possible to report the birth of a child over the age of 18. Even if your child holds nationality of a country other than the U.S., if your child has a claim to citizenship, he or she must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States.

The following information will assist you in determining whether or not your child is a U.S. citizen and will provide assistance in the steps you are required to take to register the birth and obtain his or her passport.

Eligibility for citizenship

Reporting the birth (Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form DS-2029) and applying for the child's first passport:

* For children residing in England or Wales

* For children residing in Scotland
* For children residing in Northern Ireland

The other Embassy page you need:
Passport & Citizenship Unit
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The baby is a US citizen and must enter the US on her US passport.

Visit this page to get all the links.
Children Born in the UK to U.S. Parents

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents may have a claim to U.S. citizenship. If the parent(s) meets the transmission requirement, a child's birth may be reported at this Embassy and a U.S. passport and social security number may be obtained for him or her.

We strongly recommend that the birth of your child be reported to this Embassy as soon as possible after the birth. It is not possible to report the birth of a child over the age of 18. Even if your child holds nationality of a country other than the U.S., if your child has a claim to citizenship, he or she must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States.

The following information will assist you in determining whether or not your child is a U.S. citizen and will provide assistance in the steps you are required to take to register the birth and obtain his or her passport.

Eligibility for citizenship

Reporting the birth (Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form DS-2029) and applying for the child's first passport:

* For children residing in England or Wales

* For children residing in Scotland
* For children residing in Northern Ireland

The other Embassy page you need:
Passport & Citizenship Unit

This it would seem to be the perfect answer.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

I think you've got the answers you need regarding getting the baby a US passport so he/she can travel with mum back home to the USA.

Here's a helpful site for the return journey. In my experience teeny-tiny babies are the most portable. You'll want to check whether the airline allows you to pre-book those little cots that clip in front of the bulkhead seats.

http://www.flyingwithkids.com/travel_tips.htm

Also note that some airlines won't allow a baby of less than 2 weeks to fly, that may not apply by the time she gets the US passport though.

Do let us know how she gets on!
Old Sep 20th 2009, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Maria D is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
I think you've got the answers you need regarding getting the baby a US passport so he/she can travel with mum back home to the USA.

Here's a helpful site for the return journey. In my experience teeny-tiny babies are the most portable. You'll want to check whether the airline allows you to pre-book those little cots that clip in front of the bulkhead seats.

http://www.flyingwithkids.com/travel_tips.htm

Also note that some airlines won't allow a baby of less than 2 weeks to fly, that may not apply by the time she gets the US passport though.

Do let us know how she gets on!
Thank you so much. We will definitely keep you all posted.