British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Uk Police Report - Which form to use 8019A or 8019B (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/uk-police-report-form-use-8019a-8019b-240983/)

guygreen Jul 8th 2004 2:56 pm

Uk Police Report - Which form to use 8019A or 8019B

As part of the I-130 process I need to obtain a british police report for my Fiance. The website for the Metropolitan Police in London specifies two request forms the 8019A and the 8019B.

Can anyone tell me which of these forms will get me the right document that the embassy wants ?

thanks in advance !

21stcenturylove Jul 8th 2004 4:43 pm

Re: Uk Police Report - Which form to use 8019A or 8019B

Originally posted by guygreen
As part of the I-130 process I need to obtain a british police report for my Fiance. The website for the Metropolitan Police in London specifies two request forms the 8019A and the 8019B.

Can anyone tell me which of these forms will get me the right document that the embassy wants ?

thanks in advance !
Ask your fiance to walk into the local police station and ask for a form to obtain his Prosecution / Conviction History Records. Once he fills in the form he needs to hand it back to the officer with two forms of identification (one with his photo and one with his present address). He will have to pay £10 for the service. Scotland Yard will issue your fiance with his Prosecution/Convictions History Records (what is known as Police Ceritificate).

For detailed information on UK Police certificate from the US Embassy in London website go to http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/faqs/iv/faq_pc.htm

21stcenturylove Jul 8th 2004 4:46 pm

thanks in advance !
The local police will submit the application to the National Identification Service which will respond directly to the applicant. The National Identification Service DOES NOT accept applications from individual applicants; the request must be made through the local police. Under the legislation, it can take up to 40 days to receive this document. You are legally entitled to gain access to this information about yourself under Section 21 of the Data Protection Act, 1984.
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...iv/pbcerts.htm

guygreen Jul 8th 2004 7:55 pm

I understand the procedures and the information I am requesting but the met. police website lists two possible forms to request criminal record information and I am not sure which one will get me the document the embassy is looking for. Here is the exact exceprt from the Met. Police website:

Who processes my application?
In the case of information which may be held about you on the Police National Computer, you will need to complete Form 3019B. Once Form 3019B has been received, it will be checked and your identification documents returned to you along with a receipt for the fee paid. The application will then be passed to the National Identification Service, who will post a response to you. This will take up to 40 days from the date recorded on your receipt, as required under the Data Protection Act, 1998.

In the case of information which may be held about you on other Metropolitan Police Service systems, you will need to complete form 3019A. The process remains the same, with the exception that the form will not be passed to the National Identification Service. Instead it will be processed by the Metropolitan Police Service Data Protection Unit, who will carry out the appropriate checks and post the response to you. This will take up to 40 days from the date recorded on your receipt, as required under the Data Protection Act, 1998.
Both seem to get criminal data so I am confused.

21stcenturylove Jul 9th 2004 9:05 am

I understand the procedures and the information I am requesting but the met. police website lists two possible forms to request criminal record information and I am not sure which one will get me the document the embassy is looking for. Here is the exact exceprt from the Met. Police website:Both seem to get criminal data so I am confused.
Why do u want to get the application online while they give you the application at the Local Police station and moreover you have to submit the application at the local police station. I saw both the forms u mentioned and both of them dont look like the ones you get from the local police station. Its a 4 page application.

dapman Jul 9th 2004 4:33 pm

Originally posted by 21stcenturylove
Why do u want to get the application online while they give you the application at the Local Police station and moreover you have to submit the application at the local police station. I saw both the forms u mentioned and both of them dont look like the ones you get from the local police station. Its a 4 page application.
Apparently you no longer apply through the local police station. I went to my local police station in Wycombe on Wednesday for the form and they gave me a number to call (which is at home, sorry - can supply it later). I called the number and left my name and address on their automated answering service and received the form through the mail this morning with an addressed envelope (but not stamped) to send off the application. They require you to send an original proof of identity like a drivers licence, passport or birth certificate which, the instructions say, will be returned within 24 hours of receipt. I would imagine that if you were going to send your passport or drivers licence than registered delivery would be better of course. I will be sending my birth certificate. Apparently the method of applying is all down to the data protection act here in the UK.

I will add the phone number when I get home - I believe it is a national number for all applicants in the UK.

chatarra Jul 10th 2004 10:19 am

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:33:49 +0000, dapman
<member6652@british_expats.com> wrote:

>Originally posted by 21stcenturylove
    >> Why do u want to
    >get the application online while they give you the application at the
    >Local Police station and moreover you have to submit the application at
    >the local police station. I saw both the forms u mentioned and both of
    >them dont look like the ones you get from the local police station. Its
    >a 4 page application.
    >Apparently you no longer apply through
    >the local police station. I went to my local police station in Wycombe
    >on Wednesday for the form and they gave me a number to call (which is at
    >home, sorry - can supply it later). I called the number and left my name
    >and address on their automated answering service and received the form
    >through the mail this morning with an addressed envelope (but not
    >stamped) to send off the application. They require you to send an
    >original proof of identity like a drivers licence, passport or birth
    >certificate which, the instructions say, will be returned within 24
    >hours of receipt. I would imagine that if you were going to send your
    >passport or drivers licence than registered delivery would be better of
    >course. I will be sending my birth certificate. Apparently the method of
    >applying is all down to the data protection act here in the UK.
    >I will
    >add the phone number when I get home - I believe it is a national number
    >for all applicants in the UK.

As promised, here's the Data Protection number you need to call to get
the form: 01865 846329

guygreen Jul 10th 2004 5:02 pm

WOw thanks for the great info with the phone #.

In answer to a previous question, i cannot submit it in person because I am requesting the information from outside the country. My wife and I got married in Israel where we are currently residing so I have to do everything from here.

Pollyana Jul 16th 2004 8:53 am

WOw thanks for the great info with the phone #.

In answer to a previous question, i cannot submit it in person because I am requesting the information from outside the country. My wife and I got married in Israel where we are currently residing so I have to do everything from here.
The phone number given is for Thames Valley Police, they have different procedures to the Met. If you are out of the country and wish to get the form off the net, the form you require is 3019B.

Hope this is helpful
Pollyana
(former police record checker)

gdas Jul 17th 2004 9:01 pm

Originally posted by Pollyana
The phone number given is for Thames Valley Police, they have different procedures to the Met. If you are out of the country and wish to get the form off the net, the form you require is 3019B.

Hope this is helpful
Pollyana
(former police record checker)
Form 3019B states that it is meant for people who live or have lived around London. So, it appears that a person living in, say Kent county cannot use this form.

The form to be filled out seems to be dependent on the location of residence within UK. So, for someone living in Kent for example, must fill out form 2901A available from Kent Police authorities.

The above is my understanding.

half-pint Jul 17th 2004 9:20 pm

thanks in advance !
I followed the instructions on the US embassy (DHS) website.
I went to my local police station and got
Form A96 - Subject Access Introduction
Application for access to information held about you on the Police National Computer

Under Section 7(1)(a) & (b)(i) & (c)(i) of the Data Protection Act 1998 - Subject Access (Form A96)

I did not have to send off an original copy of a passport or drivers license, they wanted a recent utility bill in my name as well as a counter-signature verifiying my identity.

See my timeline for details.