UK Passports for Australian wife

Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

domco77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Passports for Australian wife

Hi all,

Had a quick query re: getting a U.K passport for my Australian wife. We're currently in Oz but heading back to life in the U.K in a few years time once I've got Citizenship. How easy would it be for my wife to gain a U.K passport or would she have to apply for a visa for the U.K? Thanks!

Dom
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passports for Australian wife

Originally Posted by domco77
Hi all,

Had a quick query re: getting a U.K passport for my Australian wife. We're currently in Oz but heading back to life in the U.K in a few years time once I've got Citizenship. How easy would it be for my wife to gain a U.K passport or would she have to apply for a visa for the U.K? Thanks!

Dom
Does she have UK parentage or anything like that? If her only connection is through your marriage then she'll need a visa first.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Does she have UK parentage or anything like that? If her only connection is through your marriage then she'll need a visa first.
No U.K parentage I'm afraid....any ideas what type of visa she'll need to live + work in the U.K for a few years?

Thanks!
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by domco77
No U.K parentage I'm afraid....any ideas what type of visa she'll need to live + work in the U.K for a few years?

Thanks!
Spouse visa (upgraded to permanent residence after you arrive) with three years residence in the U.K. (the three years may be increased soon).

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the info JAJ. Hopefully that won't require further evidencing of relationships etc like the Oz visas?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

jadenblu is an unknown quantity at this point

I submitted my UK spouse visa application two weeks ago. Unfortunately, it requires pretty much identical supporting information as the Aus visa did for my husband. I think the only real difference is that they don't require the medical/police clearances. But your wife will have to go to your nearest consulate to have fingerprints and a photograph taken which could be an issue depending where you live.

By the way, apparently DIMIA can waive the residency requirements for citizenship here for spouses of overseas citizens, providing they already hold permanent residency. Found that one out in an earlier post of mine, back when we were still deciding to move now or later for the same reasons. Here is the link I was given... http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/spouses.htm