UK passport renewal from Italy

Old Mar 18th 2015, 8:52 am
Just Joined

NickFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK passport renewal from Italy

My mother is a British citizen, moved to Italy after marriage (almost 50 years ago) and lived here ever since. The new passport renewal rules seem quite complicated, especially the "Name and address and/or residency evidence" section of the "supporting documents", and we'd like to avoid spending money on certified translations.
Would a "certificato di residenza plurilingue" issued by the local Comune be accepted?
I know some people have used an "Attestato di residenza fiscale contro le doppie imposizioni", but she has got no income from the UK, so I would consider this as a typical "Italian way" for doing things (having a document issued for one purpose and using it for another!)
Any suggestions?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 9:28 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport renewal from Italy

Originally Posted by NickFan
My mother is a British citizen, moved to Italy after marriage (almost 50 years ago) and lived here ever since. The new passport renewal rules seem quite complicated, especially the "Name and address and/or residency evidence" section of the "supporting documents", and we'd like to avoid spending money on certified translations.
Would a "certificato di residenza plurilingue" issued by the local Comune be accepted?
I know some people have used an "Attestato di residenza fiscale contro le doppie imposizioni", but she has got no income from the UK, so I would consider this as a typical "Italian way" for doing things (having a document issued for one purpose and using it for another!)
Any suggestions?
Doesn't matter is she doesn't have an income, here or the in the UK, Nick. Neither do I, but they issued it for myself and our 2 sons. All you need is your codice fiscale. Just tick 'altro' on the application form. The tax office knew perfectly well what I was using it for. Apparently, it is used by a lot of expats, not just Brits, for various reasons. A cert. di residenza would be acceptable, but I don't think they issue a 'uso estero' 'plurilingue'. They do issue a 'cert. di esistenza in vita' 'uso estero' - life cert-. That's intended for pensions.

A couple of people lately have just sent a copy of their CdI without translating it and HMPO accepted that. I inquired, but was told that even if it was translated, it was proof of ID, but not of residency even though I had just got a new one.

Last edited by 37100; Mar 18th 2015 at 9:43 am.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Page 16 of the notes says that unless your documents are in English or Welsh, you must attach a certified translated copy. It also states who is considered an authorised translator.
So long as the document confirms where she lives, it should be OK.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 9:33 am
Just Joined

NickFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot!
Old Mar 18th 2015, 9:39 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Page 16 of the notes says that unless your documents are in English or Welsh, you must attach a certified translated copy. It also states who is considered an authorised translator.
So long as the document confirms where she lives, it should be OK.
Unfortunately, in Italy, there are no authorised/certified translators.

Last edited by 37100; Mar 18th 2015 at 9:44 am.