UK Passport Confusion HELP

Old Mar 25th 2019, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

JumpingUKpassporthoops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Passport Confusion HELP

Hello,
I am trying to apply for a renewal passport for myself and first time UK passport for my 3 daughters ( born 1994,1996,2001 in Canada) . Any help anyone can offer I would be grateul as the online UK passport service appears useless. A lawyer wants to charge me £500 to help. I want to make sure I get this right .

The passport office is telling me I need to apply for a first time passport for myself ( even though I’ve had 2 prior UK passports) AND my daughters may not be eligible . I feel confused as I am a British Citzen who has held 2 previous passports which I have ( 1 old style blue and the other burgundy) . They both state I am a UK citizen . Yet now I am being told I need to prove my citizenship thru my fathers RAF service which seems impossible because I cannot apply for those records and he is not dead but divorced my mother in 1967. They are saying I might be British by descent and if that is the case my children are not eligible . I believe I am an automatic UK citizen as I was born to a crown servant working overseas.

I was born overseas ( 1964 Nairobi Kenya) to UK parents who both held UK passports and were UK citizens ‘ otherwise by descent’ as were all the descentdents prior to that. We only lived in Nairobi from 1963-1966 and then returned to England where I lived from 1966-1977. My mother remarried and we emigrated to Canada where I continue to live. I have the following documents ;

Registration of Birth occurring outside the United Kingdom Special Provisions Act 1957 stating my NAME / birthdate and place/ my parents names , country of residence , marriage , their place of birth and my Dads rank and occupation with the Royal Air Force SIGNED BY A registering Officer.
UK passport issued in England valid 1977-1988 stating UK citizen
UK / Euro Passport issued by British High Commission Ottawa , Canada valid 1988-1998 stating UK citizen.
I have not renewed the UK passport as I travel on my Canadian one.

Now my my daughters desire to move and perhaps work in England and that is why I’m trying to get them their UK passports which I believe they are entitled because I am a UK citizen (?) and they are entitled to by descent.

Any help with how to navigate the UK passport office would be great !
Heather
Old Mar 25th 2019, 7:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport Confusion HELP

As you let your passport lapse for more than ten years you’ll need to complete a first time application. You can’t simply renew your passport. Did you send your application with your daughters? What supporting documents did you enclose?
Old Mar 25th 2019, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
As you let your passport lapse for more than ten years you’ll need to complete a first time application. You can’t simply renew your passport. Did you send your application with your daughters? What supporting documents did you enclose?
thank you. I was told by UK passport office over the phone I could simply ‘renew’ mine but once applying online was streamed into ‘first time application ‘ as you say . I was also advised to get my ‘ renewal/ passport ‘ first and then apply for daughters . (?)

I will send them my 2 UK ( one Blue and other Euro/ Burgundy) expired passports indicating UK citizen. My Registration of Birth and all the other reg requirements . ( 2 pics/ copied current passport ) etc
i do not however have my parents birth certificates , passport numbers , marriage certificate , or record of my dads RAF service which they are indicating they would need. I feel unsure how to proceed.

I believe I am UK citizen by birth under the 1948 act ( born overseas to a crown servant ) and retained this status after the 1981 immigration reform. However they are telling me I have to prove this and as my parents were divorced at age 3 and my mother deceased in 2010 I do not have any of those records.

I feel unsure of how to proceed.

Old Mar 25th 2019, 9:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

So you have yet to lodge any of the applications?
Old Mar 25th 2019, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

So you have yet to lodge any of the applications?
I have started my application online
Old Mar 25th 2019, 10:39 pm

Okay, good. What you need to do to complete an online application for yourself and each of your daughters and send the following supporting documents to HMPO in a single envelope:

- Your British military birth certificate
- Your expired British passports
- A photocopy of your Canadian passport
- Your daughters' long form Canadian birth certificates
- Photocopies of your daughters' Canadian passports
- Any relevant change of name documents (marriage/divorce certificates, Deed Polls)
Old Mar 25th 2019, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Okay, good. What you need to do to complete an online application for yourself and each of your daughters and send the following supporting documents to HMPO in a single envelope:

- Your British military birth certificate
- Your expired British passports
- A photocopy of your Canadian passport
- Your daughters' long form Canadian birth certificates
- Photocopies of your daughters' Canadian passports
- Any relevant change of name documents (marriage/divorce certificates, Deed Polls)
Thanks for I’ll your help/ advice . Do you think it would be better to establish my UK Citizenship first as then my daughters can obtain their passports via Descendency. I’m worried they’re deny me ( saying that I can’t prove my citizenship by birth and then deny my children ) then that would be £400 out of pocket versus just £ 100 for me ?
Old Mar 25th 2019, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by JumpingUKpassporthoops
Thanks for I’ll your help/ advice . Do you think it would be better to establish my UK Citizenship first as then my daughters can obtain their passports via Descendency. I’m worried they’re deny me ( saying that I can’t prove my citizenship by birth and then deny my children ) then that would be £400 out of pocket versus just £ 100 for me ?
No, best to send it all together. Just make sure everyone's countersigned photos are up to scratch.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

No, best to send it all together. Just make sure everyone's countersigned photos are up to scratch.
Okay will do . Do you think there is any chance they will deny my children’s applications because I can’t prove my Fathers RAF service which makes me a citizen ‘ otherwise than by descent ‘ and therefore able to pass on citizenship to my daughters born outside of UK ? I also don’t have either of my parents Birth certificates or Passports or marriage certificate.
My dad is estranged and my mother deceased.

Do you think my previous 2 UK passports ( Blue and Burgundy ) along with my Certified Registration of birth stating my Dads RAF rank/ and UK citizenship will suffice for documentation ?

Thanks
Old Mar 26th 2019, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by JumpingUKpassporthoops

Okay will do . Do you think there is any chance they will deny my children’s applications because I can’t prove my Fathers RAF service which makes me a citizen ‘ otherwise than by descent ‘ and therefore able to pass on citizenship to my daughters born outside of UK ? I also don’t have either of my parents Birth certificates or Passports or marriage certificate.
My dad is estranged and my mother deceased.

Do you think my previous 2 UK passports ( Blue and Burgundy ) along with my Certified Registration of birth stating my Dads RAF rank/ and UK citizenship will suffice for documentation ?

Thanks
Your birth certificate should suffice as it will contain all the information they need.