Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

UK marrying Taiwanese in Taiwan and then moving back to UK.

UK marrying Taiwanese in Taiwan and then moving back to UK.

Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

JamieMMM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK marrying Taiwanese in Taiwan and then moving back to UK.

Hiya folks. Compiled lots of info from different threads on here (and elsewhere) and just trying to see how it all fits for our situation. It would be great if you could offer any advice or spot any potential stumbling blocks.

We want to get married during my next trip to Taiwan in early December and move back to the UK together in late December for her to start work asap. This is what I think we need to do:
  • I obtain a “Certificate of No Impediment” with all correct stamps, translations, verifications and take that with me to Taiwan.
  • Pick my Chinese name.
  • Get married in Taiwan, fill in the paperwork and get it signed by the witnesses.
  • Go to the local court / government to do more paperwork and registration.
  • Return to the UK showing proof of marriage / prep for Spouse Visa at immigration control if necessary.

The next few steps are where we are confused:
  • Will our marriage in Taiwan be seen as legal in the UK?
  • Do we apply for the Spouse Visa in the UK when we get back or can we do it in Taiwan before we leave?
  • Can we just apply for a Spouse Visa in the UK right away or do you need a UK Fiance Visa first - even though we are technically married in Taiwan?

More info about our situation / relationship if needed:
Spoiler:
I meet all financial requirements, own a property that is more than suitable and have a steady and secure job. My Taiwanese fiancé has an MA degree from a top UK university and has previously worked in the UK. We began our relationship in the UK in December 2015 and when her Student Visa expired in October 2016 she had to leave and is currently working in Taiwan. Since then I have visited her 4 times in Taiwan and she has visited me in the UK twice and we have also met up in Japan (when I proposed!), Germany and Holland - so there is plenty of proof that our relationship is genuine.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:49 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK marrying Taiwanese in Taiwan and then moving back to UK.

I think you are confused - if you get married in Taiwan then she will be applying for a spouse visa in Taiwan, that will take more than a couple of weeks to process.

She cannot apply for a spouse visa while in the UK as a visitor.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

JamieMMM is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahh yeah, thanks for the clarification.

Can she apply just before we get married to get the ball rolling on the application? Or best to just do the application the day after we get married to be safe?
Old Sep 29th 2018, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamieMMM
Ahh yeah, thanks for the clarification.

Can she apply just before we get married to get the ball rolling on the application? Or best to just do the application the day after we get married to be safe?
You must apply when you are actually married - one of the most important documents to present as evidence of marriage is the marriage certificate.