UK Immigration Solicitor/Attorney Recommendation

Old Feb 26th 2016, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

manchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Immigration Solicitor/Attorney Recommendation

Hi all,

Do you have any recommendations for a legal expert that could answer a couple of quick questions for our spouse Visa?

Happy to pay of course.

Thanks.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 5:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Immigration Solicitor/Attorney Recommendation

This forum is pretty good. What are your questions?
Old Feb 26th 2016, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

manchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a British Citizen, with a US wife. We are moving from the US to UK this summer, under the spouse visa.

A key component of that visa is that I have an income of 18k (pounds) or above, and can show that I will keep that income once I land.

My income is fortunately more than triple that amount... BUT, it is for a US company, that currently pays me in $ to my US account. I have IRS returns, employment offers etc... but I don't know whether its best to:

a) Not worry about it, they will easily be able to see that my income (once converted) is above their requirement.

or

b) They may not like or count it, so I need to setup a LTD company in the UK ASAP and start invoicing my US company from there.

Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2016, 5:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

3.5. Conversion of foreign currency
3.5.1. Income or cash savings in a foreign currency will be converted to pounds sterling (£) using the closing spot exchange rate which appears on http://www.oanda.com on the date of application. Where there is income or cash savings in different foreign currencies, each will be converted into pounds sterling (£) before being added together, and then added to any UK income or savings, to give a total amount.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ugust_2015.pdf

Do you have a job offer in the UK earning above £18,600 as well?
Old Feb 26th 2016, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you... I don't have an additional job offer, I LOVE my job for the US company, and I already work remotely, so being in the UK vs US is not a hurdle for my position.

Based on your input, it looks like they will simply be translated to GBP. If so, that's good news.

Do you think I will just need an employment letter, paystub, etc?
Old Feb 26th 2016, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by manchester2016
Thank you... I don't have an additional job offer, I LOVE my job for the US company, and I already work remotely, so being in the UK vs US is not a hurdle for my position.

Based on your input, it looks like they will simply be translated to GBP. If so, that's good news.

Do you think I will just need an employment letter, paystub, etc?
It might be a bit tricky to continue working for your US employer remotely as the financial requirements don't consider that a possibility. Have a read of Annex FM 1.7.

Does your wife have any recent European ancestry, Italian or Irish grandparents for instance?
Old Feb 26th 2016, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It might be a bit tricky to continue working for your US employer remotely as the financial requirements don't consider that a possibility. Have a read of Annex FM 1.7.

Does your wife have any recent European ancestry, Italian or Irish grandparents for instance?
She has European ancestry, but on a great grandparent level.

We have one other person living in the UK and working for this same company, he simply created a LTD company and invoices the US company.. so therefore would be self-employed.

Based on what you are saying, that may be the safer option?
Old Feb 26th 2016, 5:55 pm

She has European ancestry, but on a great grandparent level.
That might work depending on which country.

We have one other person living in the UK and working for this same company, he simply created a LTD company and invoices the US company.. so therefore would be self-employed.

Based on what you are saying, that may be the safer option?
Most probably yes.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

In section 7 it says cash savings can be a factor.

Assuming we meet the required amount of cash savings, would that mean we don't need to worry about the income aspects? In other words, can we JUST focus on the savings aspect?
Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:27 pm

In section 7 it says cash savings can be a factor.

Assuming we meet the required amount of cash savings, would that mean we don't need to worry about the income aspects? In other words, can we JUST focus on the savings aspect?
If you meet the cash savings requirements then that's certainly a lot easier than income when doing the paperwork. You'll need £62,500 in cash savings.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you meet the cash savings requirements then that's certainly a lot easier than income when doing the paperwork. You'll need £62,500 in cash savings.
We were under the impression the amount was much smaller than that:

7.1.1. An amount based on the cash savings above £16,000 held by the applicant, their
partner, or both jointly for at least the 6 months prior to the date of application and under
their control can count towards the financial requirement where applicable. (£16,000 is
the level of savings at which a person generally ceases to be eligible for income-related
benefits).
Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

No, if you are going the savings route exclusively (i.e not using income at all) then you need 62,500 GBP in total

The visa is for an initial 2.5 years so without income you need to show 18,600 x 2.5 plus the initial 16,000 GBP you need to start off with = 62,500 GBP.

The clause you are reading refers to where someone has income (but is below 18,600 per annum) and is using savings to make up the shortfall.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

We were under the impression the amount was much smaller than that:
see pages 46, 47 & page 17 in that link Appendix 1.7

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ugust_2015.pdf

Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

@SanDiegoGirl and @Not2Old - thanks for the clarifications... could I get your initial thoughts on my main set of options?

UPDATED with a 3rd option:

I am a British Citizen, with a US wife. We are moving from the US to UK this summer, under the spouse visa.

A key component of that visa is that I have an income of 18k (pounds) or above, and can show that I will keep that income once I land.

My income is fortunately more than triple that amount... BUT, it is for a US company, that currently pays me in $ to my US account. I have IRS returns, employment offers etc... but I don't know whether its best to:

a) Not worry about it, they will easily be able to see that my income (once converted) is above their requirement.

or

b) They may not like or count it, so I need to setup a LTD company in the UK ASAP and start invoicing my US company from there.

or

c) I could instead of/in addition to my US company salary, have my father, who owns a UK company, hire me for 12 months at 20k per year etc, and provide a job offer letter saying he will employ me once I arrive.

Which of these 3 options do you think is smoothest?

Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2016, 10:06 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

option c), just make sure its legit, that you are gainfully employed, that your employer (even if its your Dad) deducts & that you pay national insurance contributions & income tax

Job description, business card, just like working for anyone else

Then, over time you could go option b) self-employed

or, you have the 62,500 pounds savings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.