UK Guy Marrying US Girl in UK - please help

Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Tim79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Guy Marrying US Girl in UK - please help

Dear Lori (and anyone else!),

I have just read your posts from last month and would love to pick your brains if at all possible?!!

I am a UK Citizen and my US girlfriend has been over here for 2.5 years now (on study visa and more recently a BUNAC visa).

Her BUNAC visa ends in March and she is trying to apply for the Highly Skilled Migrants visa. At best she'll be out of the country back home in the States for 3 months, at worst 5 months.

We have now been together for 1.5 years and will be looking to get engaged within the next year.

What kinds of hurdles/headaches have we got facing us??! How do we first apply for the correct marriage certificate visa etc.

We are starting at step 1 here and are desperately trying to gather information as to what we need to do and would be most grateful for any tips/advice!

Many thanks for all your help.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US citizen marrying UK citizen - living in UK, travel to US after...?

Originally Posted by Tim79
Dear Lori (and anyone else!),

I have just read your posts from last month and would love to pick your brains if at all possible?!!

I am a UK Citizen and my US girlfriend has been over here for 2.5 years now (on study visa and more recently a BUNAC visa).

Her BUNAC visa ends in March and she is trying to apply for the Highly Skilled Migrants visa. At best she'll be out of the country back home in the States for 3 months, at worst 5 months.

We have now been together for 1.5 years and will be looking to get engaged within the next year.

What kinds of hurdles/headaches have we got facing us??! How do we first apply for the correct marriage certificate visa etc.

We are starting at step 1 here and are desperately trying to gather information as to what we need to do and would be most grateful for any tips/advice!

Many thanks for all your help.
Hey Tim

Don't be scared to start your very own thread! However, you might be better trying the uk yankee boards for these kinds of questions, (uk-yankee.com) as they have more people experienced with UK immigration for US citizens.

I do know that in the UK it's possible to petition on behalf of a domestic partner, you don't have to be married. I'm totally clueless on the details though.

Good luck!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Guy Marrying US Girl in UK - please help

Tim, it's not entirely clear from your post where you want to live. Do you want your US girlfriend to move to the UK and live with you (& eventually marry)? If so, you need to take a visit to the UK-Yankee forum (use google to find the url). This forum is for those wanting to immigrate to the US.

I've been to the UK-Yankee forum, and there is a lot of good info and descriptions there about the different options available for you.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Tim, it's not entirely clear from your post where you want to live. Do you want your US girlfriend to move to the UK and live with you (& eventually marry)? If so, you need to take a visit to the UK-Yankee forum (use google to find the url). This forum is for those wanting to immigrate to the US.

I've been to the UK-Yankee forum, and there is a lot of good info and descriptions there about the different options available for you.
Here's the link: http://www.uk-yankee.com/

Rene
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Tim79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

She already lives here and is renewing her visa....but if we were to marry (she desperately wants to live here in the UK and not go back to the States to live), i just wanted to know what stressful hoops we have to jump through in order to get waht we want (a marriage in the UK and both of us to libve in the UK).

It seems there are a million types of certificates, forms, registrations, permissions etc......i'm getting stressed already and haven't even proposed!!

I wil have a look at the uk-yankees site too.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tim79
(she desperately wants to live here in the UK and not go back to the States to live)

I wil have a look at the uk-yankees site too.
Hi Tim,

We can't really help you here, sorry. You'll need to look at that uk-yankee site. This forum is for those wishing to immigrate TO the USA.

Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out.

Rene