UK Fiance Visa

Old Oct 27th 2016, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

BostontoEdinburgh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Fiance Visa

Hello!

I am currently finalizing all of the pieces of my UK Fiance Visa (Settlement), but I have a few questions. My fiance and I want to make sure everything is covered before I send it off. He is Scottish and I am American.

1. My fiance is my financial sponsor. He exceeds the income requirement by a good amount. Is evidence related to that all that is required?

2. On that same note, since my fiance is my financial sponsor, do I as the applicant need to provide any financial evidence? From what I understand, I do not, but I want to make sure.

3. Do I need to provide copies of everything? It seems like that would be silly and only just double the number of pages (of which there is a good amount anyways...)!

4. Also, I am a US National. Are my passports enough or do I need to send a birth certificate?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

- Mary
Old Oct 28th 2016, 5:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Fiance Visa

Originally Posted by BostontoEdinburgh
Hello!

I am currently finalizing all of the pieces of my UK Fiance Visa (Settlement), but I have a few questions. My fiance and I want to make sure everything is covered before I send it off. He is Scottish and I am American.

1. My fiance is my financial sponsor. He exceeds the income requirement by a good amount. Is evidence related to that all that is required?
Depends. Is your fiance residing in the UK or the US at the moment? If he has been in the UK and working for at least six months with his current employer on his current salary then no. If he's in the US then he'll also need a job offer back in the UK that also meet the threshold.

2. On that same note, since my fiance is my financial sponsor, do I as the applicant need to provide any financial evidence? From what I understand, I do not, but I want to make sure.
Not if you are meeting the financial requirements based solely on your sponsor's salaried income.

3. Do I need to provide copies of everything? It seems like that would be silly and only just double the number of pages (of which there is a good amount anyways...)!
It's a good idea.

4. Also, I am a US National. Are my passports enough or do I need to send a birth certificate?
You should include your long form birth certificate.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

- Mary
You are welcome Mary.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 5:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

4. Also, I am a US National. Are my passports enough or do I need to send a birth certificate? ....
I suspect that you are a "US Citizen", because a "US National", is one of a sub-group of people born in American Samoa or the Northern Mariana Islands - people born there are US Citizens unless the elect to be treated as "US Nationals".

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 28th 2016 at 6:01 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Depends. Is your fiance residing in the UK or the US at the moment? If he has been in the UK and working for at least six months with his current employer on his current salary then no. If he's in the US then he'll also need a job offer back in the UK that also meet the threshold.

Not if you are meeting the financial requirements based solely on your sponsor's salaried income.

It's a good idea.

You should include your long form birth certificate.

You are welcome Mary.
He is a British Citizen living in Scotland and will be my financial sponsor.

For copies, does that mean copies of everything? So essentially it's like submitting two full copies of my application? The original and the copy? Seems like a lot of pages!

Also, what do you mean by long form birth certificate? Does it have to be the original or can it be a copy?

Thank you again! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. This has been a long time coming, and I don't want to screw anything up!

Kind regards,
Mary
Old Oct 29th 2016, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that you are a "US Citizen", because a "US National", is one of a sub-group of people born in American Samoa or the Northern Mariana Islands - people born there are US Citizens unless the elect to be treated as "US Nationals".
Oh yes, I mean US Citizen! I have no idea why I wrote national. So I have to submit my passports and birth certificate?
Old Oct 29th 2016, 5:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

For copies, does that mean copies of everything? So essentially it's like submitting two full copies of my application? The original and the copy? Seems like a lot of pages!

Also, what do you mean by long form birth certificate? .....
It has all you birth details, the short form certificate is, er, shorter, and notably, IIRC, doesn't show the father's, name and details.

All certificates are technically copies, but you can submit either "an original" (a copy that you purchased from the registrar), or a certified copy of one purchased from the registrar. You can't just send them any old photocopy.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 9:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Kind regards,
Mary
I applied from Australia, and because I applied priority I had to provide two copies of everything. So that was the original application package of around 80 pages, and then 2 copies! I had to have a little memorial service for the tree I killed
Old Oct 29th 2016, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I applied from Australia, and because I applied priority I had to provide two copies of everything. So that was the original application package of around 80 pages, and then 2 copies! I had to have a little memorial service for the tree I killed
TWO copies for priority? Why do they need two copies?
Old Oct 30th 2016, 12:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
TWO copies for priority? Why do they need two copies?
Hello you

At the visa processing centre, one copy was put in an envelope and PRIORITY stickers stuck all over it, and the other copy and the original were......well actually, I don't know what happened to them I definitely needed the 2 copies though! Might be different in the US.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hello you

At the visa processing centre, one copy was put in an envelope and PRIORITY stickers stuck all over it, and the other copy and the original were......well actually, I don't know what happened to them I definitely needed the 2 copies though! Might be different in the US.
Mmm Must have missed that, but will check and see if it is also required in the US. Can't think why it would be different though.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 12:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

In that case providing he has been earning at least £18,600 p.a. for the last six months then his salary meets the financial requirements to sponsor you for a fiancé visa.

Yes. Make two separate packs and mark them 'originals' and 'copies'.

Also, what do you mean by long form birth certificate? Does it have to be the original or can it be a copy?
In the US a short birth certificate issued by the state in which you were born would typically show your full name, date and county of birth your parents' names. Your long form birth certificate would show your full name, exact date, time and place of birth and full details of both your parents. Depending on the state you may or may not have received a long form birth certificate at birth. If not you will need to apply for it.

You should supply the original in your 'originals' pack and a photocopy in your 'copies' pack. The original will be returned to you.

Thank you again! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. This has been a long time coming, and I don't want to screw anything up!

Kind regards,
Mary
Not a problem.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
In that case providing he has been earning at least £18,600 p.a. for the last six months then his salary meets the financial requirements to sponsor you for a fiancé visa.

Yes. Make two separate packs and mark them 'originals' and 'copies'.

In the US a short birth certificate issued by the state in which you were born would typically show your full name, date and county of birth your parents' names. Your long form birth certificate would show your full name, exact date, time and place of birth and full details of both your parents. Depending on the state you may or may not have received a long form birth certificate at birth. If not you will need to apply for it.

You should supply the original in your 'originals' pack and a photocopy in your 'copies' pack. The original will be returned to you.

Not a problem.
Okay, great! For the copies stack, do I have to copy every page of my passports (one current, two old), or just the first page do you think?

Thank you again
Old Oct 30th 2016, 10:55 pm

Okay, great! For the copies stack, do I have to copy every page of my passports (one current, two old), or just the first page do you think?

Thank you again
In theory you should copy every page. Personally I wouldn't bother and only copy your current and previous biodata pages. If the ECO wants extra pages copied then he or she can get a minion to do it but unless you've been anywhere dodgy I would suggest they won't bother.