UK family (spouse) visa question

Old Jan 26th 2022, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

WorldCitizen2021 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK family (spouse) visa question

Hello,

My wife and I have begun completing the online visa application so she (US citizen) can join me (British) in the UK when I move there for work this spring, and we have a few questions. Please can someone advise us further?

(1) We’ve been through “Start” and the “Application” questions, and the online form then asks us to “Continue” (green button) to “Finance”. We’ve downloaded a PDF of the application so far in order to proofread. Once we click “Continue” to “Finance”, will we be able to return to the “Application” section to edit / correct after proofreading? Or should we make sure the “Application” section is 100% correct before proceeding?

(2) What specific questions are asked in the “Finance” section? It would be good to get organised for this in advance.

(3) How long will the application remain active? Our anticipated move date is still not 100% clear, and the visa will apparently take about three months (and then there’s a 30-day window to arrive in the UK), so we might have to submit the application later in February when things are clearer.

(4) Regarding the NHS fee, does one year need to be paid in advance, or several years?

Thank you very much!
Old Jan 26th 2022, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

mavaas11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK family (spouse) visa question

Hi

I cant answer the rest of your questions, but If you want to look at the application form theres a youtuber called "Ruksana Ahmed" she has all the spouse visa application walkthrough and tips, excellent resource

1) I believe when we did it we could come back and edit sections before submission

4) NHS fees £625 per year, 6 months pay half yearly amount, so for first visa 2.75 years (33 months) leave to enter 3* £625 = £1875. To be paid in advance
Old Jan 26th 2022, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

(2) What specific questions are asked in the “Finance” section? It would be good to get organised for this in advance.

Are you aware of the financial requirements in order for your to sponsor your wife for a visa?
All the questions will relate to what you earn etc. You will be expected to show payslips, bank statements, employment letter etc. Based on what category you intend to apply under will determine what you need to provide as evidence.
Read the following document carefully to see how you can qualify:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...equirement.pdf
Old Jan 27th 2022, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mavaas11. Thanks for your response. I'll take a look at that youtube channel.
I can't believe the cost of the visa, and that the NHS fee has to be paid in advance. So stressful. What if it doesn't work out and we return to the US early.... (rhetorical question).
Old Jan 27th 2022, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi SanDiegoGirl,
Thanks for the PDF. I have skimmed this before but will take another look over the weekend. Thanks also for the info.
Yes, my UK income will be above the required amount, fortunately.
Thanks again.
Old Jan 27th 2022, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WorldCitizen2021
Hi SanDiegoGirl,
Thanks for the PDF. I have skimmed this before but will take another look over the weekend. Thanks also for the info.
Yes, my UK income will be above the required amount, fortunately.
Thanks again.
Even if the income from your job in the UK is above the financial requirements, you also need to take into consideration your current income situation with regard as to whether you can apply for the visa while still in the US.
You should definitely read the information regarding Cat A and Cat B for overseas sponsor returning to UK in the document I linked for you.
Old Jan 27th 2022, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by WorldCitizen2021
Hi Mavaas11. Thanks for your response. I'll take a look at that youtube channel.
I can't believe the cost of the visa, and that the NHS fee has to be paid in advance. So stressful. What if it doesn't work out and we return to the US early.... (rhetorical question).
You don't get any money back.

You should also keep in mind that if YOU are out of the US for a year or more (you are a green card holder I believe), you might be considered as giving up your green card status.
Old Jan 28th 2022, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks SanDiegoGirl!

I have one eye on the green card situation and will be looking more closely at that (re-entry permit) very, very soon. In fact, I probably should prioritise that. Any idea how long it takes? I note the info online is a bit ambiguous (as usual). Re-entry permits are valid for two years, but I think I read they cannot be renewed – is that correct? I believe there's also something called a "returning resident visa". I hope it's possible to get through my three-year work contract without giving up my green card. Life is a series of complicated application forms.

Current financial situation is okay re: applying for the UK family (spouse) visa. The frustrating thing is that we don’t know 100% when my wife will be ready (visa aside) to make the move due to her work etc. I will be going first. I understand the visa can take 3 months to get, and then there’s 30 days to get to the UK or the visa becomes invalid. When we have a specific date when my wife can make the move, we can finalise the application but then she’s going to be stuck here for 6–8 weeks for no reason except to wait for the visa. Therefore, I’m wondering if it would be better for her to go to the UK as soon as she is ready and we can then make the application there. The visa is actually £500 cheaper that way, but then we would need to buy health insurance while waiting. And she’ll probably get loads of questions at Heathrow airport about when she is planning on leaving, etc., and then they’ll give her a hard time if she explains that she is going to apply to stay. Etc.

Thanks again!

Old Jan 28th 2022, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

PS: I'm also wondering if I should have applied for US citizenship before moving... too late now I suppose...
Old Jan 29th 2022, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She can't enter the UK and then apply for the visa from there..... it has to be applied for from the US.
Spend additional money for priority service?
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi SanDiegoGirl,
Ok, I see, thanks. Part of the info I read gave two different prices – one for applying outside the UK, and one for applying in the UK. Maybe the "in the UK" option is for someone who already has a visa (e.g. student visa) and is living in the UK. However, as a US citizen my wife is able to spend 90 days in the UK – but not allowed to apply in the UK? I suppose not.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quite right....from within the UK is for those who already have a visa - student/ancestry/investor etc etc

Old Feb 2nd 2022, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Quite right....from within the UK is for those who already have a visa - student/ancestry/investor etc etc
Thank you! You're a great help!