UK ePassport gate changes

Old Oct 30th 2018, 12:06 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK ePassport gate changes

As announced in today’s Budget the UK’s ePassport gates will be available for general use by Australian, Canadian, Japanese, New Zealand and US passport holders starting next summer.

Currently only EU/EEA/Swiss passport holders are able to use them and other nationalities have to be eligible and apply for the Registered Traveller scheme.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK ePassport gate changes

Originally Posted by BritInParis
As announced in today’s Budget the UK’s ePassport gates will be available for general use by Australian, Canadian, Japanese, New Zealand and US passport holders starting next summer.

Currently only EU/EEA/Swiss passport holders are able to use them and other nationalities have to be eligible and apply for the Registered Traveller scheme.
Let's hope they add more gates to cope with the increased numbers. Or maybe after Brexit, they'll be unavailable to EU/EEA/Swiss.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 1:47 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Let's hope they add more gates to cope with the increased numbers. Or maybe after Brexit, they'll be unavailable to EU/EEA/Swiss.
In my experience the ones they already have at LHR and LGW are very underused.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a long queue at Manchester a few weeks ago. Still quicker than non-EU but took 30 minutes.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 10:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

They are indeed, we travel to/from LHR at least 3 times a year and I always look longingly at those using the gates (my youngest isn't yet 12, so can't use them).
Old Oct 30th 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by chawkins99
There was a long queue at Manchester a few weeks ago. Still quicker than non-EU but took 30 minutes.
I’ve not flown through MAN but that does seem to be a common complaint on the forum.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 12:34 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

i think they are great in theory but last time i was at Heathrow , the execution left something to be desired.
bank of gates, person managing line up and assisting those who were having issues.
two people in front of me.
first person up to the gate, follows instructions " seek assistance" message flashes up. line up person, takes passport and repeats the steps that I've just seen the first person take
no luck, "you'll have to go over there to the desk"

next person in front of me, same issue, same response

i go in, "seek assistance"
line up drone , proceeds to take my passport and repeat the steps I've just tried
of course no luck
" go to that desk"

I'm just off an 8 hour flight that had been delayed 10.5 hours. I'm not feeling patient and I've observed all the other gates working
"do you not think it might be a problem with the gate" I dare to ask. Indicating to the people who were in front of me

I'm regarded with a blank stare, a grunt and not much else.
I take my passport, see that there is another gate not being used. I enter and within 15 seconds am exiting the other side.

i resist the urge to flip the finger at the line up moron, who probably wouldn't have see me because they are too busy directing people out of the gate, to the desk because it still won't accept anyone's passport
Old Oct 30th 2018, 1:51 pm

The only time it’s not worked for me first time, both in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, is when I experimented with not removing my glasses as I’m not wearing them in my passport photo. The quality of your passport photo does make a huge difference and I was an absolute stickler when I got my latest one done which appears to be paying dividends.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

JaridineHK is an unknown quantity at this point

The BN(O) passport eligible to apply the Registered Traveller scheme ?
Thanks !
Old Nov 1st 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by JaridineHK
The BN(O) passport eligible to apply the Registered Traveller scheme ?
Thanks !
No, although perversely HKSAR passport holders are.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

JaridineHK is an unknown quantity at this point

No, although perversely HKSAR passport holders are.
Very disappointed, although BN(O) is British Nationality but unfortunately not eligible.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by JaridineHK
Very disappointed, although BN(O) is British Nationality but unfortunately not eligible.
Yes, it’s very odd given the long list of other countries that are eligible. Given this recent announcement hopefully BN(O) passports will be included in the final rollout.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 1:25 am

The Chancellor of the Exchequer confirmed in his Spring Statement today that the rollout will begin in June and will include passport holders from the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Singapore and South Korea. Paper landing cards are also being scrapped.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 9:02 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

does that mean that there won't be any advantage to me entering the UK on my British passport.
at the moment i enter on my UK passport and then come back on my Canadian one.

will this mean that it would be just as quick to just use my Canadian one now?
Old Mar 14th 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
does that mean that there won't be any advantage to me entering the UK on my British passport.
at the moment i enter on my UK passport and then come back on my Canadian one.

will this mean that it would be just as quick to just use my Canadian one now?
For visits, you are likely to see no practical difference, but if you have a valid British passport then it makes sense to use it as you can still potentially be refused entry whilst travelling on a Canadian passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.