UK Dual Citizen Entering UK on US Passport

Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:58 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Dual Citizen Entering UK on US Passport

Originally Posted by windsong
For me it IS a problem. Granted I can get into the UK on my US passport but NOT with my dogs! My dogs now have to travel separately.

I have always planned to get a return ticket anyway - it's cheaper.
Windsong - I know how much you love your dogs, but even if they were travelling on the same plane as you they wouldn't know it. If the path you've chosen is to get someone to take the dogs to the airport after you've flown out, then it'll only be a matter of a day or two that you're separated from them - you can be at the other end waiting for them.

Don't let this hiccup spoil something you've been looking forward to for years - going home.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

For me it IS a problem. Granted I can get into the UK on my US passport but NOT with my dogs!My dogs now have to travel separately.

I have always planned to get a return ticket anyway - it's cheaper.
Rubbish!!

You are making things much more difficult for yourself than they really are.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

There have been numerous posts here that have said that if my dogs travel with me it is a red flag that I plan to stay and with an expired UK passport, that's not good - they could refuse entry into the UK. It might also increase the chances of the airline in the US not letting me on board because it looks as though I am going to stay there in which case they would want to me sure I have the paperwork to live in the UK (so they don't have to pay for my return to the US) and I don't. My UK passport is expired.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 11th 2014 at 1:54 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:11 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Now I'm confused! If Windsong flew out on her US passport (and renewed UK passport later), could she fly her dogs out, with help of friend, two days later?

Does someone check your pp when you fly yr dogs? If she flew out on a US passport would someone know? Would they stop the dogs from flying? How does this dog thing work?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Windsong - I know how much you love your dogs, but even if they were travelling on the same plane as you they wouldn't know it. If the path you've chosen is to get someone to take the dogs to the airport after you've flown out, then it'll only be a matter of a day or two that you're separated from them - you can be at the other end waiting for them.

Don't let this hiccup spoil something you've been looking forward to for years - going home.
I know. I thought of this. It just gives the airline an excuse to charge me a fortune to fly them, I am sure. I will find out today.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
Now I'm confused! If Windsong flew out on her US passport (and renewed UK passport later), could she fly her dogs out, with help of friend, two days later?

Does someone check your pp when you fly yr dogs? If she flew out on a US passport would someone know? Would they stop the dogs from flying? How does this dog thing work?
I am still working out the dog issue, too. Some people have posted here that, because my UK passport is expired, if I go in with the dogs it looks as if I am planning to stay and IO in the UK could refuse entry.

Also, an ex-immigration officer here in this thread suggested that the airline in the US might not let me board the plane if I have the dogs with me AND a UK expired passport. They don't want to risk my being returned to the US because they have to pay the flight.

I have received conflicting comments about how many US citizens fly to the UK on holiday and take their dogs. The ETD department told me many do but someone here who is in a position to know told me it is rare because the US citizens get short vacation time. It would be a red flag.

Granted, I can enter on my US passport as a visitor - but with the dogs?

One good thing in all this is that I have found a vet who has prepared dogs for UK travel many times. I talked on the phone with him for 30 minutes last night. He knows the process inside out. That's a big relief.

Truthfully, I am appalled that I cannot get my passport renewed in even SIX weeks. I would stay if I thought I could get it back in time but they are taking 12 weeks or more. One person in another thread even waited 20 weeks. I am sure I could stay with my friend for a few weeks after I move out of here, making my total time left here about six weeks but no longer.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 11th 2014 at 1:21 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I know. I thought of this. It just gives the airline an excuse to charge me a fortune to fly them, I am sure. I will find out today.
Oh! Sorry for saying stuff you'd already thought of, I was just trying to give you a bit of support.

I'll leave you to it then, good luck!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh! Sorry for saying stuff you'd already thought of, I was just trying to give you a bit of support.

I'll leave you to it then, good luck!
Oh no! I wasn't trying to be rude - honestly - and I apologize if you took my comment that way!!! I appreciate your saying it because it is a good reminder and makes me feel more positive.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions - I really do.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

I'd expect the biggest red flag in terms of whether or not windsong intends to remain in the UK permanently to be the answer "for ever" to the question "how long do you intend to remain in the UK" on the landing card she will need to fill in.
Having dogs with you as well is not going to be much of a problem after the IO reads that.
Having dogs with you and putting something else, something untrue, on the landing card is a bigger problem. Putting anything untrue on the landing card is a big issue and that is what the original IO will likely have been advising you about.

As it stands windsong, you have the right of abode in the UK, that means you have a right to enter and remain permanently. Everything you are worrying about is simply whether or not someone else will believe you. That person has access to the same info as the passport office - and you expect them to be willing to give you a passport. The only risk here is that you will have to wait for an hour while the IO goes and checks the systems.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:18 pm
Concierge

Oh no! I wasn't trying to be rude - honestly - and I apologize if you took my comment that way!!! I appreciate your saying it because it is a good reminder and makes me feel more positive.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions - I really do.
I didn't think you were being rude, just preoccupied
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didn't think you were being rude, just preoccupied
Yes, that's probably true but, even so, I didn't mean to be abrupt, rude or offend.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
I'd expect the biggest red flag in terms of whether or not windsong intends to remain in the UK permanently to be the answer "for ever" to the question "how long do you intend to remain in the UK" on the landing card she will need to fill in.
Having dogs with you as well is not going to be much of a problem after the IO reads that.
Having dogs with you and putting something else, something untrue, on the landing card is a bigger problem. Putting anything untrue on the landing card is a big issue and that is what the original IO will likely have been advising you about.

As it stands windsong, you have the right of abode in the UK, that means you have a right to enter and remain permanently. Everything you are worrying about is simply whether or not someone else will believe you. That person has access to the same info as the passport office - and you expect them to be willing to give you a passport. The only risk here is that you will have to wait for an hour while the IO goes and checks the systems.
I know. And I really don't want to tell anything but the truth which is why I will present my expired passport when I land, along with my US passport. I am just not sure if it is okay for my dogs to fly on the same plane.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you returning to the UK permanently or just going for a visit?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Permanently. Unless I have to make a special trip to renew my passport so I can take the dogs on the same plane but it doesn't seem that in my case that can be done quickly.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 4:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Permanently. Unless I have to make a special trip to renew my passport so I can take the dogs on the same plane but it doesn't seem that in my case that can be done quickly.
How many more times??? Take your dogs with you and stop creating problems for yourself that do not exist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.