UK Citizenship by double descent

Old Sep 6th 2021, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

KiwiScot is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Citizenship by double descent

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me if they have been able to successfully apply for UK Citizenship through their (Commonwealth born) UK Citizen mother if they themselves are also a Commonwealth Citizen.

I am looking at an application for my New Zealand wife. She has a New Zealand born mother (CUKC) and UK born grandfather.

I know you can register through a ÜKM application by double descent after recent changes (Shelley Romein Supreme court case).

The "Romein" example always seems to emphasize that the applicant be born in a "foreign country" i.e. not in a Commonwealth country.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has had a similar application to ours approved.

Many thanks guys.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizenship by double descent

Can't help on the double descent passport route.
Why are you looking to get a Brit passport? to live in the UK?
From what you say your wife could get an Ancestry visa and after 5 years naturalise ......?
Old Sep 8th 2021, 2:59 am
Just Joined

KiwiScot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your quick reply.

We are looking to possibly semi-retire to the UK some time in the near future which is why I am looking at options.

I was aware of the Ancestry visa option but it has its drawbacks including cost (over 3600 GBP including the NHS surcharge) along with work requirements and limits on time spent out of the country.
Ideally the citizenship option would be best if possible.
I know from reading this and other forums that a lot of people have been able to get their citizenship through double descent but they are usually born in the US or South Africa which oddly is not classed as a commonwealth country. I’d love to hear from someone from a commonwealth country (e.g, Australia, Canada, India) who has had success with this double descent route.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 8:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you search the forum for 'Romein' and 'Commonwealth' you'll find quite a few threads. Unfortunately the commonwealth thing seems to stop it in it's tracks I'm afraid, but hopefully one of our forum pros will be able to look at your post and see if there is any other route to citizenship.

Good luck.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 6:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As you have noted the Romein ruling does not apply to those born in Commonwealth countries. What are the years of birth for your wife, her mother and grandfather?