UK citizenship by descent

Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Easternlass1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizenship by descent

Hi,

I am a UK citizen currently living in Canada.

My Canadian born wife is claiming UK citizenship by descent through her mother who was born in the UK.

The relevant form Is here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...y/form_ukm.pdf

The form guide is here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si.../guide_ukm.pdf

My wife has tried to contact the UK Border Agency by phone which directs her back to their website and by email, no response yet.

Certain parts of the form seem to be designed for a person already located in the UK.

Here are her questions:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am the daughter of a British mother born before 1983.

I live in Canada and I am a Canadian citizen.

I have read the UKM Form and I need clarification on some questions.

1. 1.7 National Insurance. I have never worked or resided in the UK. Do I need to fill in my
Canadian Social Insurance Number?

2. 1.12 Current Marital Status. I am in a Common-Law relationship. Do I check the box
In a civil partnership?

3. 1.18 Citizenship ceremony. I live in Canada, assuming my application is
successful where will the citizenship ceremony take place?

4. Section 2
2.5 Address of tax office or tax office reference. As I have never worked or resided in the UK
Do I put down the address of my nearest Canadian Tax Office or is this part just for
UK residents?

5. Section 3
Referees and Identity
2nd Referee Declaration. As i don't know any UK citizens, Can the Second Referee
be a Civil Servant (permanent) commonwealth citizen.

6. Section 4
Declaration by Applicant.
I Authorise the UK Border Agency to make enquiries of . . .
As I have never resided, worked or had any financial dealings in the UK, do I need to
check these boxes?

7. Documents.
Do I need to send my current Canadian passport or can I send the previous expired one?
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizenship by descent

A general comment - Registration as a British citizen under the UKM process is a statutory entitlement. In other words, it cannot be refused if the requirements of the British Nationality Act are met.

Second comment. You can look at the caseworking instructions the Home Office use at:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...ctions/nivol1/

Chapters 6 and 7 should answer most of your questions.

Specific suggestions:
1. They don't need your Canadian SIN. If you have no NI number leave blank and explain in a cover letter.
2. Answer truthfully. If you're not legally married and there is no section for unmarried partner, then tick the box that best applies (probably single) and explain anything additional either on the form if it gives some free space, or in a covering letter. In this case, it's not relevant to eligibility.
3. A ceremony will be arranged at a British Consulate in Canada.
4. Just for U.K. residents, I would think. Leave blank and explain in covering letter.
5. Applicants living in Canada may use a Canadian citizen for referees (section 6.3.7.7 of Nationality Instructions)
6. You probably need to sign so that they can conduct whatever checks they need to for UKM registration. You do have to meet a "good character" requirement).
7. Don't send your passports.