Uk citizenship

Old Apr 8th 2018, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

silent.moment is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk citizenship

Hello all,

i am a father from Saudi Arabia, the mother was born in the states and has a British citizenship. if we born our child in the states would automatically get a British passport or not.

when i was reading in the uk.gov website i got confused about "by decent" and more details.

can someone help

Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk citizenship

The child will be entitled to US citizenship if born in the USA. The position with UK citizenship is more complex.

Last edited by scot47; Apr 8th 2018 at 5:45 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 5:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

How did the mother acquire her British citizenship?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like mother is British by descent (she was born in States but has acquired British citizenship).

If correct, then child does not automatically obtain British citizenship.

More info required as to mother's history.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

The mother got her British citizenship from her father...

can you give me more details about the meaning of by decent?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silent.moment
The mother got her British citizenship from her father...
Can you be more specific? Was she born outside the UK? Was her father already a British citizen was she was born?

can you give me more details about the meaning of by decent?
Broadly speaking 'by descent' means that you are born outside the UK to a British parent and 'otherwise than by descent' means that you are either born in the UK or are naturalised as a British citizen. The former doesn't normally permit you to pass on your citizenship automatically whereas the latter does.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

i am a father from Saudi Arabia, the mother was born in the states and has a British citizenship. if we born our child in the states would automatically get a British passport or not.

when i was reading in the uk.gov website i got confused about "by decent" and more details.

can someone help

Thank you in advance.
If your wife is planning to travel overseas to give birth, I would suggest that she goes to Northern Ireland. A child born in Northern Ireland with a British Citizen parent is entitled to an Irish passport. This is something useful to have after Brexit.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

yes her dad was a British when she was born in the US
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:32 pm

yes her dad was a British when she was born in the US
Unless her father was in Crown service or similar when she was born then any children of hers born outside the UK will not automatically be British citizens. She would need to give birth in the UK for her children to automatically be British.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

If she born in the UK can she claim a child benefit and housing benefit if I the husband come to the UK on a spouse visa?

Also once I get a spouse visa on my passport is there a time limit to enter the UK or I can enter whenever I want?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If she born in the UK can she claim a child benefit and housing benefit if I the husband come to the UK on a spouse visa?

Also once I get a spouse visa on my passport is there a time limit to enter the UK or I can enter whenever I want?
For you to enter the UK on a spouse visa, your British wife will have to sponsor you.

She will have to fulfill financial obligations and either have to be earning 18,600 GBP per annum or, if no income 62,500 GBP to prove she can support you and that you don't get public funds.

While child benefit is not a public fund, housing benefit is. As she would be earning 18,600 GBP in order to sponsor you for a spouse visa, she will not be eligible for it.

Financial requirements are below:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ment_Final.pdf

You have 30 days after your visa is issued to enter the UK.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:12 pm

Your wife can claim any benefits she is entitled to once she passes the Habitual Residence Test which usually means a three month wait. In order for you to be issued a spouse visa you will need to meet the financial requirements which will usually mean your wife being in employment earning over £18,600 pa or you have joint cash savings of at least £62,500. This financial requirement is designed to prevent your wife from being eligible for certain benefits like housing benefit.

You can indicate a travel date of up to six months in advance but you will need to enter the UK within 30 days of this date or the date your visa is granted, whichever is later.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

If your wife met the criteria to receive housing benefit, she would be unlikely to be able to meet the financial requirements to sponsor you for a spouse visa.
She would be able to claim child benefit in her name only, you would not be able to.

Yes, there's a time limit to enter the UK. At the time of applying for a spouse visa you nominate the date you want to enter the UK. That date can be up to 6 months from the application date. You must enter the UK within 30 days of the date you nominated, or within 30 days of the date the visa is granted, whichever is the latter.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your wife can claim any benefits she is entitled to once she passes the Habitual Residence Test which usually means a three month wait. In order for you to be issued a spouse visa you will need to meet the financial requirements which will usually mean your wife being in employment earning over £18,600 pa or you have joint cash savings of at least £62,500. This financial requirement is designed to prevent your wife from being eligible for certain benefits like housing benefit.

You can indicate a travel date of up to six months in advance but you will need to enter the UK within 30 days of this date or the date your visa is granted, whichever is later.
Listen here, Quick Draw!
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:14 am
Just Joined

for the time limit to enter UK for example i revive my visa on July 1 and in the application i put travel date October 1 so i will have 30 days from October first, am i right ?

for finical proof that what it says in the website look below :

What counts as income
You and your partner can use:

income from employment before tax and National Insurance (check your P60 or payslips) - you can only use your own income if you earn it in the UK
income you earn from self-employment or as a director of a limited company in the UK - check your Self Assessment tax return
cash savings above £16,000
money from a pension
non-work income, for example from property rentals or dividends

im not sure where 62500 GBP came from?

second thing for my wife she doent have to proof finical requirement since i have a UK citizen child lives in the UK also that says in the website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.