Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

UK citizen marrying USA citizen and bringing her back to UK

UK citizen marrying USA citizen and bringing her back to UK

Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Skadisman is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK citizen marrying USA citizen and bringing her back to UK

Can anyone please advise me what visas are necessary? I will be travelling to Seattle in a few months time.My American fiancee and I are planning to marry in Seattle.We will then apply for a wifes visa for her to come to the UK to live.If im not intending living in the USA,do I still need a fiancees visa before I travel, to get married to her there?or can I travel on a visitors visa as she will be coming to the UK with me?
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen marrying USA citizen and bringing her back to UK

Originally Posted by Skadisman
can I travel on a visitors visa as she will be coming to the UK with me?
Yes. Be sure to bring substantial proof of your ties to the UK and your intent to return.

Ian
Old Jan 10th 2005, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: UK citizen marrying USA citizen and bringing her back to UK

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes. Be sure to bring substantial proof of your ties to the UK and your intent to return.

Ian
Thanks for the quick response Ian! As I asked more than 1 question,im not sure which one your saying yes to?? Im assuming you are saying that I can travel on a visitors visa,get married there,then apply for a spouses visa to bring her to the UK with me??.What ties would I need to show?? I have 2 properties here and 1 in Spain,i Could bring evidence of this.Also evidence of employment.What else would you suggest?? Regards Alex.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What ties would I need to show?? I have 2 properties here and 1 in Spain,i Could bring evidence of this.Also evidence of employment.What else would you suggest?
Let me just step back a moment and address a question from your first post. You asked

If im not intending living in the USA,do I still need a fiancees visa before I travel, to get married to her there?
A fiancee visa would allow you to enter the US to be married in the US to a USC *and* remain in the US and adjust status to permanent resident. So, if you're not planning on living in the US, you don't need a fiancee visa. A basic travel visa will do. There is no problem with you marrying in the US and then returning with your wife to the UK to live in the UK. I'm not sure what type of visa your wife will require (you mention a spouse's visa) to move to the UK to live - that's something you'll need to find out from the UK government.

Now, to return to your current question... proof of intent to return to the UK. If you have deeds to your homes in the UK, a letter from your current employer, bank account statements and, of course, your return airline ticket - these are all things which demonstrate ties to the UK and your intent to return following your visit.

Be aware also, that many US states have some sort of residency requirement prior to getting a marriage license, and some even have a waiting period following issuance of that license. That's just an FYI, really.

Ian
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware also, that many US states have some sort of residency requirement prior to getting a marriage license, and some even have a waiting period following issuance of that license. That's just an FYI, really.

Ian
Have to second this, Alex. Your fiancee needs to research what the requirements are to get married in Washington State. Some states require blood tests from both parties, and a waiting period (sometimes a wait of 14 days). Depending on how long you are planning to be here, that could pose issues. You also need to find out what docs you need as you would be a foreigner getting married here. All my hubby needed was his passport, but each state could vary.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: UK citizen marrying USA citizen and bringing her back to UK

Thanks Ian!! That helps a great deal!Theres always the possibility that Christine and I might want to live in the USA at a later date, we can make the applications then.Thats not likely to be for some years.I really appreciate your prompt reply!! Im curious about you! do you live in the states?? Alex.

Let me just step back a moment and address a question from your first post. You asked

A fiancee visa would allow you to enter the US to be married in the US to a USC *and* remain in the US and adjust status to permanent resident. So, if you're not planning on living in the US, you don't need a fiancee visa. A basic travel visa will do. There is no problem with you marrying in the US and then returning with your wife to the UK to live in the UK. I'm not sure what type of visa your wife will require (you mention a spouse's visa) to move to the UK to live - that's something you'll need to find out from the UK government.

Now, to return to your current question... proof of intent to return to the UK. If you have deeds to your homes in the UK, a letter from your current employer, bank account statements and, of course, your return airline ticket - these are all things which demonstrate ties to the UK and your intent to return following your visit.

Ian
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Theres always the possibility that Christine and I might want to live in the USA at a later date, we can make the applications then.
When the time comes, if your wife has leave to remain in the UK, you can do direct consular filing - it'll be the quickest way for you get to the US as a permanent resident.

Im curious about you! do you live in the states?
I do now, yes. I was born in Glasgow, grew up in Toronto, and now live in Kentucky.

Ian
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Theres always the possibility that Christine and I might want to live in the USA at a later date, we can make the applications then.
When the time comes, keep in mind that while US-->UK spousal migration takes one (1) day, coming the other direction will take 6-12 months. Plan accordingly.
Also, your USC will need to continue to file her tax returns in order to sponsor you in the future, and she 'should' maintain some ties to the US (banking, voting etc) that will make your return easier.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone please advise me what visas are necessary? I will be travelling to Seattle in a few months time.My American fiancee and I are planning to marry in Seattle.We will then apply for a wifes visa for her to come to the UK to live.If im not intending living in the USA,do I still need a fiancees visa before I travel, to get married to her there?or can I travel on a visitors visa as she will be coming to the UK with me?
Hi:

Notionally speaking, it is permissible. However, the law PRESUMES that your intention is to remain in the United States.

The question is a tricky one -- your plans are dependent upon an airport inspector. So, its a coin-toss.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

When the time comes, if your wife has leave to remain in the UK, you can do direct consular filing - it'll be the quickest way for you get to the US as a permanent resident.

I do now, yes. I was born in Glasgow, grew up in Toronto, and now live in Kentucky.

Ian
Glasgow! One of my fav cities! I lived there for 4 years,late 60's,early 70's!! I lived in Dumbreck Rd,off Paisley Rd West,near Ibrox.Glasgow was a swinging city then even though the pubs closed at 10pm!! I have many fond memories from living there and still keep in touch with friends I made there.Thanks again for your help.Alex.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Notionally speaking, it is permissible. However, the law PRESUMES that your intention is to remain in the United States.

The question is a tricky one -- your plans are dependent upon an airport inspector. So, its a coin-toss.
Hi,Thanks for the info.Put that way,it could be tricky! I guess i only need a immigration officer that got out the wrong side of bed who may not believe that I will return to the UK and I have a big problem! Maybe you could do me a BIG favour and enquire at the British embassy in LOs Angeles as to whether my thinking is sound,as this is the nearest embassy to Seattle.Once married,its there that I would need to apply for a spouses visa to take Christine to the UK.Any help you can give will be most appreciated.Alex.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:33 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,Thanks for the info.Put that way,it could be tricky! I guess i only need a immigration officer that got out the wrong side of bed who may not believe that I will return to the UK and I have a big problem! Maybe you could do me a BIG favour and enquire at the British embassy in LOs Angeles as to whether my thinking is sound,as this is the nearest embassy to Seattle.Once married,its there that I would need to apply for a spouses visa to take Christine to the UK.Any help you can give will be most appreciated.Alex.
Hi:

The British CONSULATE in Los Angeles seems to punt all such questions to the EMBASSY in Washington, D.C.. And they wouldn't asnwer questions of US law in any case.

BTW, "Embassies" are a country's main diplomatic post in a country. With one exception, all US Embassies are located in the country's capital with consulates in other cities. For example, the US "Embassy" in the UK is located on Grosvenor Square in London, but there is a consulate in Edinburgh. Also, many consulates don't issue visas [or some Embassies don't issue visas but consulates will].