UK Citizen marrying US citizen - USA

Old Apr 18th 2019, 9:54 am
Just Joined

LukeU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Citizen marrying US citizen - USA

Hello,

Apologies only just found this site as I've been going through a different visa process currently and not used to the website and sub-forums.

So my fiancee and I are definitely getting ahead of ourselves but here's a quick run down and question.

I will be moving to the USA on a K1 visa in May to marry a United States Citizen in June and going through the adjustment of status, with the eventuality of receiving citizenship through naturalization in the USA.

Is there a way in the future for me to apply for a spousal visa for my (by then) American wife while still living in the USA?
Old Apr 18th 2019, 12:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen marrying US citizen - USA

Sure, providing you meet the requirements. At the moment there are financial, accommodation and relationship requirements to meet - the first of those tends to cause the most problems but given your timeframe then the rules might well change when the whole UK immigration system is overhauled in 2021. As such I wouldn’t worry too much about it now but something to be aware of.

If you’re planning to start a family then ensuring your children have both US and British passports is a good idea. Does your fiancée have any recent non-US ancestry? Parents or grandparents born outside the US?
Old Apr 18th 2019, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

LukeU is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Sure, providing you meet the requirements. At the moment there are financial, accommodation and relationship requirements to meet - the first of those tends to cause the most problems but given your timeframe then the rules might well change when the whole UK immigration system is overhauled in 2021. As such I wouldn’t worry too much about it now but something to be aware of.

If you’re planning to start a family then ensuring your children have both US and British passports is a good idea. Does your fiancée have any recent non-US ancestry? Parents or grandparents born outside the US?
Thanks for the info and regards the immigration overhaul date, 2021 overhaul is something we'll keep a look at. Thank you very much for that, she has great grand-parents and possibly grand-parents who were Polish but that's about it.
Will definitely keep a check on the ruling changes and thank you
Old Apr 18th 2019, 2:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The Polish grandparents and the possibility of Polish citizenship might warrant further investigation depending on what happens with Brexit.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

DernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond repute

I am interested in what you mentioned about the overhaul of the UK immigration system, which I hadn't heard about. Is there anything specific already planned?
Old Apr 20th 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
I am interested in what you mentioned about the overhaul of the UK immigration system, which I hadn't heard about. Is there anything specific already planned?
Yes. It’s not law yet but there’s a White Paper for the proposed post-Brexit system.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...gration-system
Old Apr 20th 2019, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

DernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. It’s not law yet but there’s a White Paper for the proposed post-Brexit system.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...gration-system
Thanks....I thought that the overhaul would cover non EU citizens too, so this shouldn't impact my wife's situation. Thank again.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 7:31 pm

Thanks....I thought that the overhaul would cover non EU citizens too, so this shouldn't impact my wife's situation. Thank again.
It will impact everyone.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

It will impact everyone.
My wife currently has FLR (M) and will apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in April 2021. I'd better read through the link in detail.....
Old Apr 21st 2019, 7:21 pm

My wife currently has FLR (M) and will apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in April 2021. I'd better read through the link in detail.....
Chapter 8 covers family migration.